Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Howdy all -
I just installed my new SATA hard drive, and cannot install windows. After I've installed the SATA controller driver that came with my mobo, when Windows starts to install, it gets 1%-2% in, and then displays an error screen -
Setup cannot copy the file: ks.sys
or sometimes it will make it as far as 27%-28%, and say -
Setup cannot copy the file: dvdplay.exe.
9 times out of 10, though, it stops on ks.sys.
I do not believe the optical drive is the problem, as I have used 2 different CD-drives, and it still stops at the same point.
I have also ruled out the Windows XP disc, because I have used to different discs, and again, it still stops at the same point.
Am I doing something wrong, or is my new hard drive bad? I would appreciate any insights you may have into this, and thanks in advance for your help.
My new hard drive is:
Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM SATA w/8mb cache
My comp:
DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra Rev. B
AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton
512MB PC3200 Geil DDR RAM
GeForce3 64MB
Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW
Sony 24x DVD-ROM

Thanks again for your help.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
You should go the harddisk manufacturers website and get their drive test program (I believe all HD manufacturers have such program).
If you cant find a drive test program, try booting on a Windows bootfloppy, and format the harddrive from dos. Don't do a quick format. Let it go through all the sectors.
If the HD check out ok, the problem must be the CD drive or the CD. Try a third drive or a third disc.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>