Sign in with
Your question
Closed

System Crash Every Hour - Bewildering

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
August 9, 2012 10:16:01 AM

As a system administrator by profession this is both embarrassing and frustrating to post yet I've run out of ideas.

A few days ago (8/6/2012) my system started experiencing hourly system crashes to the tee. No matter what I'm doing (gaming, skyping, browsing, idle) the OS siezes.

Things I've done so far:

1) Reviewed event logs
2) Updated Motherboard & Video card drivers
3) Disabled all scheduled tasks
4) Reviewed memory.dmp (outdated - no new dumps)
5) Configured performance monitoring
6) Ran CCleaner
7) Disabled/Uninstalled unused applications
8) Watched process explorer around problematic time for any noticeble spikes. (none were found)
Edit*
9) I've also ensured my antivirus has the latest definitions and ran a full scan. To be safe I also scan'd using trenmicro which came up empty.

By reviewing the event logs I learned that the crashes have been occurring every hour. A small sample shown below:

-----------------------------------
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 8/8/2012 2:40:04 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: EBlankenship-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Date: 8/8/2012 3:41:30 AM
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Date: 8/8/2012 4:42:08 AM
Description:

These errors are not the cause but rather the response from me having to power cycle the system. Yet, I'm seeing no errors in the system or application logs prior to the system hangs.

The only thing that changed on the 6th was that I installed the following:
Java(TM) 7 Update 5
JavaFX 2.1.1
Fraps

Below I have provided the following as evidence:

Event logs:
http://c3457735.r35.cf0.rackcdn.com/compcrash.evtx

Performance log file (one hour system perfomance log just prior to the crash):
http://c3457735.r35.cf0.rackcdn.com/PerformanceCounter....

perfmon log analysis:
http://c3457735.r35.cf0.rackcdn.com/Performance_Counter...

dxdiag details:
http://c3457735.r35.cf0.rackcdn.com/DxDiag.txt
August 9, 2012 10:44:19 AM

atx350 said:
As a system administrator by profession this is both embarrassing and frustrating to post yet I've run out of ideas.

A few days ago (8/6/2012) my system started experiencing hourly system crashes to the tee. No matter what I'm doing (gaming, skyping, browsing, idle) the OS siezes.

Things I've done so far:

1) Reviewed event logs
2) Updated Motherboard & Video card drivers
3) Disabled all scheduled tasks
4) Reviewed memory.dmp (outdated - no new dumps)
5) Configured performance monitoring
6) Ran CCleaner
7) Disabled/Uninstalled unused applications
8) Watched process explorer around problematic time for any noticeble spikes. (none were found)

By reviewing the event logs I learned that the crashes have been occurring every hour. A small sample shown below:

Date: 8/8/2012 2:40:04 AM
Description:
Date: 8/8/2012 3:41:30 AM
Description:
Date: 8/8/2012 4:42:08 AM
Description:

These errors are not the cause but rather the response from me having to power cycle the system. Yet, I'm seeing no errors in the system or application logs prior to the system hangs.

The only thing that changed on the 6th was that I installed the following:
Java(TM) 7 Update 5
JavaFX 2.1.1
Fraps

Below I have provided the following as evidence:

Event logs:
http://c3457735.r35.cf0.rackcdn.com/compcrash.evtx

Performance log file (one hour system perfomance log just prior to the crash):
http://c3457735.r35.cf0.rackcdn.com/PerformanceCounter....

perfmon log analysis:
http://c3457735.r35.cf0.rackcdn.com/Performance_Counter...

dxdiag details:
http://c3457735.r35.cf0.rackcdn.com/DxDiag.txt

If it was my system, I'd plug it into a UPS. Doesn't have to be a large one. Just enough to run the system on battery power for a minute or two. I'd be somewhat surprised if the problem doesn't go away.

My reasoning...what you are experiencing is most likely related to a bad power supply *somehow*. But a power supply failing once per hour doesn't make much sense...unless something external is acting as a catalyst. A low voltage condition INTO the power supply once per hour, for example...
(could be caused by an A/C compressor kicking in)

Another thing to do would be to move the whole system to a different electrical circuit. But then you'd have to guess as to what is on your local circuit. Probably easier just to hook up a a small UPS unit to eliminate a power problem...
Score
August 9, 2012 10:54:11 AM

I too originally thought of a power issues but seeing that it occurs every hour it didn't seem to fit. Regardless, I'll bring home a PSU from work later today to test your theory.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 10:54:51 AM

also to rule out a virus that doing a shutdown or someone dialing into the pc and turnign it off by remote. unplug the network cable and boot from a diag boot cd like hirem. if the system stays up over that one hour windows then it something in the os on your hard drive. I would look at your anti virus and check that it in date if not i install a newer anti virus and do a few free online scans.
Score
August 9, 2012 10:59:56 AM

smorizio said:
also to rule out a virus that doing a shutdown or someone dialing into the pc and turnign it off by remote. unplug the network cable and boot from a diag boot cd like hirem. if the system stays up over that one hour windows then it something in the os on your hard drive. I would look at your anti virus and check that it in date if not i install a newer anti virus and do a few free online scans.

Forgot to mention this in my original post that I also ensured my antivirus had the latest definitions along with running a full scan. Additionally I also did a trendmicro scan which came up empty.

I'm curious about the first suggestion you provided regarding the hirem boot cd. Would it not be sufficient enough to unplug my network cable? Why would I need to boot from the hirem cd?
Score
August 9, 2012 11:25:45 AM

atx350 said:
Forgot to mention this in my original post that I also ensured my antivirus had the latest definitions along with running a full scan. Additionally I also did a trendmicro scan which came up empty.

I'm curious about the first suggestion you provided regarding the hirem boot cd. Would it not be sufficient enough to unplug my network cable? Why would I need to boot from the hirem cd?

That does not mean anything anti-virus are no longer enough for protection there are rootkits/bootkits that can ONLY be found from a bootable cd or scanned external on a known clean system.
I would download kaspersky rescue cd and scan your system.
After that i would look at your hardware is your cpu fan cooling fins clear of dust?, look at the capacitors on your mother board are they all flat and clean?.
Do you have a video card and is the fan clean and spinning? do you see any bad caps on your video card?, is your power supply fan spinning and vents clear of dust?.
Also do a ram test download memtest86 and run a scan on your ram.
It may be possible that your cpu heatsink compound is dried up if you have some around i would suggest arctic silver that you clean fan and cpu and put a fresh bead and make sure fan is put back good.
Score

Best solution

August 9, 2012 11:39:38 AM

Long time reader first time poster - According to the system info you posted you have a crucial m4 drive. I would look at updating the firmware if you haven't already as earlier firmware versions were causing blue screens every hour much like your issue.

I am fairly certain this should solve your issue.
August 9, 2012 11:44:21 AM

Notoriouzs said:
Long time reader first time poster - According to the system info you posted you have a crucial m4 drive. I would look at updating the firmware if you haven't already as earlier firmware versions were causing blue screens every hour much like your issue.

Now THIS sounds promising and closer to what I'd expect the cause to be. Downloading latest Crucial firmware at this time. Will post back with my results soon.

Edit: Firmware successfully updated. Only time will tell if it resolved the issue. It's 7am here so am signing off for now but will update with the results once I wake up. Thank you all for your responses.
Score
August 9, 2012 12:26:04 PM

Quote:
If it was my system, I'd plug it into a UPS. Doesn't have to be a large one. Just enough to run the system on battery power for a minute or two. I'd be somewhat surprised if the problem doesn't go away.

What difference would a UPS make for a failing power supply?

Nothing.

@OP

If the firmware for the M4 doesn't work it would be great if you posted full system specs.

cpu (2500k)
board (unknown)
ram (unknown)
card (gtx 580)
hdd/ssd (crucial M4)
psu (unknown and most important)
Score
August 9, 2012 7:04:15 PM

Best answer selected by atx350.
Score
August 9, 2012 7:05:14 PM

Notoriouzs said:

Glad you decided to finally create an account and post your suggestion. This resolved my issue! Thanks

More info on the issue can be read here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5424/crucial-provides-a-f...

Personally I was not receiving BSOD but the system would hang.
Score
August 9, 2012 7:23:04 PM

edit: Double post on accident.
Score
September 23, 2012 7:54:18 PM

Notoriouzs said:

A big "thank you" from me, too. Different system (except for the M4), same problem. One crash every 65 minutes, including reboot. I had already spent two days hunting for viruses, RAM errors, junk in the scheduler, etc. Update to firmware version "F" solved the problem.

Only commonalities besides the Crucial SSD: I also updated Java 7 and installed Fraps recently, so it may be a collision between the old firmware version and one of those two.
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
September 24, 2012 12:46:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!