Our family is getting a laptop and it will be used by each of the three of
us. We have our own particular wants as what programs and uses of the
laptop.

Is there any advantage to have separate logons? And if we did, would all
three of use be listed on the Start menu?

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

Another question; If three users are created with their individual logons,
are three address books created or do they share just one?

Thanks again.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

Don Schmidt wrote:
> Another question; If three users are created with their individual logons,
> are three address books created or do they share just one?
>
> Thanks again.

It is my understanding that they have separate address books and email
storage files as part of their logon profile.

Thanks Andy,

I now lean toward each of us having separate logons. The Mrs does a game or
two and has her gal friends to e-mail to and from. And our daughter, who is
14 also has her school buddies she e-mails to and from. And ol dad here is
into e-mail, news groups, spreadsheets, Publisher and gps.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

Don Schmidt wrote:
> Our family is getting a laptop and it will be used by each of the three of
> us. We have our own particular wants as what programs and uses of the
> laptop.
>
> Is there any advantage to have separate logons? And if we did, would all
> three of use be listed on the Start menu?

I can see there being advantages if you want to keep the layouts of your
desktops etc customized. You will also be able to keep your various
documents separate. Of course at least one of you will have to be the
'administrator' and so will have access to all user files.

If you want to have lots of stuff in common and share most of your files
then the disadvantages might well outweigh the advantages

I would go for the separate logins. Each of you can have the look and
documents you want so that you each will think you have a different computers.

You can share your common programs by placing them in the All Users area.
But you can keep the documents and individual programs in your own area.

As far as the admin thing. You can sign on as admin but have your own
account just like the rest of the family. Use the admin thing for when you
need it.

Just agree on using firewalls and virus and other protection so that one of
the users doesn't mess up the system for the other users. Also I would
suggest backing up on a regular basis and make it some thing that all of you
agree on.

Good Luck and enjoy your new machine
--
FL Consultant