RIP Bart

I got home to Birmingham around 9 last night; our dog was in a
quasi-coma for hours. He fnally died about 2:12 AM in the arms of the
family that loved him. He would have been 15 years old on September
9.

I guess indoor dogs get more attatchment than ther counterparts
outside; I feel like I've been run over with a steam roller. I
realize he wasn't a person but it's still very hard to say goodbye.
He was a beautiful if chubby yellow lab named Bart. He was so named
because some of his puppy diarhea reminded my oldest brother of the
slime created by Bartholemew in the children's book "Bartholemew and
the Ooblich." Naturally, I generally told people he was named after
Bart Simpson to avoid weird looks.

Some of my fondest memories include Bart hopping through the rare
Alabama snows, trying to sneak outside with a giant block of cheese in
his mouth, running away from fireworks and shuffled cards, always
helping my mom wash the dishes, and being in the car once in awhile
when my mom picked me up from school years ago.

I guess it's even more significant for me because we got him when I
was in the 3rd grade, which seems like a lifetime ago now. I guess it
wasn't a lifetime, it was just 65% of one. It is certainly the end of
an era in my life.

-Ophidian

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu>:
> I guess it's even more significant for me because we got him when
> I was in the 3rd grade, which seems like a lifetime ago now. I
> guess it wasn't a lifetime, it was just 65% of one. It is
> certainly the end of an era in my life.

While household pets might not be people, they're still a part of the
family, so it's only natural to feel a real wrench when they're gone.
Sincere condolences, 'Phid.

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Ophidian Dragon the Steely Loud Hat Pin of Excellence wrote:
>I got home to Birmingham around 9 last night; our dog was in a
>quasi-coma for hours. He fnally died about 2:12 AM in the arms of the
>family that loved him. He would have been 15 years old on September
>9.

My condolensces, losing an animal friend can be hard.

We had a dog Blue (an Irish Setter) who was older than me. He was
about 14 or 15 when he died. I would have been about 11 or 12 at the
time. It was a very sad day for me and I guess for the rest of our
family. In a way it was one of the saddest days I can remember. I have
lost a grandmother and grandfather who I knew relatively well but
since they both lived across the Altantic Ocean the loss was not as
acute, although deeper.

Sadly my memories of my youth have faded with time. I have few
memories of Blue (my strongest seem to be of that final day) but I
remember him fondly all the same and have stories about him.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a26, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:14:12 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:

>I got home to Birmingham around 9 last night; our dog was in a
>quasi-coma for hours. He fnally died about 2:12 AM in the arms of the
>family that loved him. He would have been 15 years old on September
>9.
>
>I guess indoor dogs get more attatchment than ther counterparts
>outside; I feel like I've been run over with a steam roller. I
>realize he wasn't a person but it's still very hard to say goodbye.
>He was a beautiful if chubby yellow lab named Bart. He was so named
>because some of his puppy diarhea reminded my oldest brother of the
>slime created by Bartholemew in the children's book "Bartholemew and
>the Ooblich." Naturally, I generally told people he was named after
>Bart Simpson to avoid weird looks.
>
>Some of my fondest memories include Bart hopping through the rare
>Alabama snows, trying to sneak outside with a giant block of cheese in
>his mouth, running away from fireworks and shuffled cards, always
>helping my mom wash the dishes, and being in the car once in awhile
>when my mom picked me up from school years ago.
>
>I guess it's even more significant for me because we got him when I
>was in the 3rd grade, which seems like a lifetime ago now. I guess it
>wasn't a lifetime, it was just 65% of one. It is certainly the end of
>an era in my life.
>
>-Ophidian

Ah, man I'm sorry to hear the circle has closed on Bart. At least you
got there in time.Here's hoping you miss him just the right amount.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:14:12 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:

>I got home to Birmingham around 9 last night; our dog was in a
>quasi-coma for hours. He fnally died about 2:12 AM in the arms of the
>family that loved him. He would have been 15 years old on September
>9.
>
>I guess indoor dogs get more attatchment than ther counterparts
>outside; I feel like I've been run over with a steam roller. I
>realize he wasn't a person but it's still very hard to say goodbye.
>He was a beautiful if chubby yellow lab named Bart. He was so named
>because some of his puppy diarhea reminded my oldest brother of the
>slime created by Bartholemew in the children's book "Bartholemew and
>the Ooblich." Naturally, I generally told people he was named after
>Bart Simpson to avoid weird looks.
>
>Some of my fondest memories include Bart hopping through the rare
>Alabama snows, trying to sneak outside with a giant block of cheese in
>his mouth, running away from fireworks and shuffled cards, always
>helping my mom wash the dishes, and being in the car once in awhile
>when my mom picked me up from school years ago.
>
>I guess it's even more significant for me because we got him when I
>was in the 3rd grade, which seems like a lifetime ago now. I guess it
>wasn't a lifetime, it was just 65% of one. It is certainly the end of
>an era in my life.
>
>-Ophidian

Sorry to hear that. I still haven't really gotten over the death of my
cat in 1978 or I would have gotten another.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Eek! Optician Dragon wrote:
> "Zac Bond" wrote:
>
>>I got home to Birmingham around 9 last night; our dog was in a
>>quasi-coma for hours. He fnally died about 2:12 AM in the arms of the
>>family that loved him. He would have been 15 years old on September
>>9.
>>
>>I guess indoor dogs get more attatchment than ther counterparts
>>outside; I feel like I've been run over with a steam roller. I
>>realize he wasn't a person but it's still very hard to say goodbye.
>>He was a beautiful if chubby yellow lab named Bart. He was so named
>>because some of his puppy diarhea reminded my oldest brother of the
>>slime created by Bartholemew in the children's book "Bartholemew and
>>the Ooblich." Naturally, I generally told people he was named after
>>Bart Simpson to avoid weird looks.
>>
>>Some of my fondest memories include Bart hopping through the rare
>>Alabama snows, trying to sneak outside with a giant block of cheese in
>>his mouth, running away from fireworks and shuffled cards, always
>>helping my mom wash the dishes, and being in the car once in awhile
>>when my mom picked me up from school years ago.
>>
>>I guess it's even more significant for me because we got him when I
>>was in the 3rd grade, which seems like a lifetime ago now. I guess it
>>wasn't a lifetime, it was just 65% of one. It is certainly the end of
>>an era in my life.

Hey, how come I didn't get the original post?

Anyways, my condolence to you. Yeah, our pets are family members, so it's
natural to feel really shitty when one pass away. I've been feeling
fearful for Ranmao's death for years now.... When he got depressed to the
point he was all skinny and hardly go out of his room, I was so afraid he
would just die right there. But he turned out okay, so I was glad, but he
is an old cat now in any case, so my fear ensues....

Anyways, Bartholemew is a good name, but I still have to give you a weird
look. ;-)

--
Ashikaga a27

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
<snip>
> Sorry to hear that. I still haven't really gotten over the death of my
> cat in 1978 or I would have gotten another.

No wonder you don't like cat anymore. When did your cat die? It's not on
my birthday, is it? (*runs for his life*)

--
Ashikaga a27

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:45:59 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! Polychromic wrote:
><snip>
>> Sorry to hear that. I still haven't really gotten over the death of my
>> cat in 1978 or I would have gotten another.
>
>No wonder you don't like cat anymore. When did your cat die? It's not on
>my birthday, is it? (*runs for his life*)

She didn't like to play a cool game I invented. It was called "touch
taxidermy". Kind of like touch football but with evisceration.

--

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 03:36:19 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:14:12 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:
>
>>I got home to Birmingham around 9 last night; our dog was in a
>>quasi-coma for hours. He fnally died about 2:12 AM in the arms of the
>>family that loved him. He would have been 15 years old on September
>>9.
>>
>>I guess indoor dogs get more attatchment than ther counterparts
>>outside; I feel like I've been run over with a steam roller. I
>>realize he wasn't a person but it's still very hard to say goodbye.
>>He was a beautiful if chubby yellow lab named Bart. He was so named
>>because some of his puppy diarhea reminded my oldest brother of the
>>slime created by Bartholemew in the children's book "Bartholemew and
>>the Ooblich." Naturally, I generally told people he was named after
>>Bart Simpson to avoid weird looks.
>>
>>Some of my fondest memories include Bart hopping through the rare
>>Alabama snows, trying to sneak outside with a giant block of cheese in
>>his mouth, running away from fireworks and shuffled cards, always
>>helping my mom wash the dishes, and being in the car once in awhile
>>when my mom picked me up from school years ago.
>>
>>I guess it's even more significant for me because we got him when I
>>was in the 3rd grade, which seems like a lifetime ago now. I guess it
>>wasn't a lifetime, it was just 65% of one. It is certainly the end of
>>an era in my life.
>>
>>-Ophidian
>
>Sorry to hear that. I still haven't really gotten over the death of my
>cat in 1978 or I would have gotten another.
Well, it's about time for a new kitten for you. Take a trip to the
local shelter and let a cat pick you out.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:04:02 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>Well, it's about time for a new kitten for you. Take a trip to the
>local shelter and let a cat pick you out.

Yes, I think I will do that. There is a good restaurant supply store on
the way that I can visit too.

--

Zac Bond wrote:
> I got home to Birmingham around 9 last night; our dog was in a
> quasi-coma for hours. He fnally died about 2:12 AM in the arms of the
> family that loved him. He would have been 15 years old on September
> 9.

<snip>

> I guess it's even more significant for me because we got him when I
> was in the 3rd grade, which seems like a lifetime ago now. I guess it
> wasn't a lifetime, it was just 65% of one. It is certainly the end of
> an era in my life.

I know how it is to lose a pet that's been part of the family for so
long. You may recall the threads I made shortly before losing access to
such effect. And one may have been after - Sunshine, the cat we had
longest, after two full decades of life. Which is over 75% of my own.

Just hold on to those memories, is all I can offer.

-Lumina Dragon

Polychromic wrote:

> Sorry to hear that. I still haven't really gotten over the death of my
> cat in 1978 or I would have gotten another.

...... that explains a LOT.

Anyway, I agree with the others. After all, it's true no new pet can
replace the old one - nor should it - but the new one can still become
an important addition to the family all the same.

-Lumina Dragon

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>No wonder you don't like cats anymore. When did your cat die? It's not on
>>my birthday, is it? (*runs for his life*)
>
> She didn't like to play a cool game I invented. It was called "touch
> taxidermy". Kind of like touch football but with evisceration.

She is smart like me then. ;-) Come on, cheer up! Cats are cool to have.
You collect tons of them in your basement. ;-)

--
Ashikaga a27

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:58:26 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! Polychromic wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
><snip>
>>>No wonder you don't like cats anymore. When did your cat die? It's not on
>>>my birthday, is it? (*runs for his life*)
>>
>> She didn't like to play a cool game I invented. It was called "touch
>> taxidermy". Kind of like touch football but with evisceration.
>
>She is smart like me then. ;-) Come on, cheer up! Cats are cool to have.
>You collect tons of them in your basement. ;-)

They ARE kind of like tribbles.

If you cut off their legs and tails.

--

Zac Bond wrote:

> I got home to Birmingham around 9 last night; our dog was in a
> quasi-coma for hours. He fnally died about 2:12 AM in the arms of the
> family that loved him. He would have been 15 years old on September
> 9.

One of the worst Christmasses I ever had was when my dog died, my Dad was
struck down with kidney stones and the company I was hoping to work at
when I finished Uni folded.

Lucy made it to about 13, pretty good innings if you consider that she had a
congenital heart condition. I still dream about her from time to time..
and I'm sure it will be the same with you.

On a lighter note, one of the longest-lived dogs I am aware of made it to
at least 25 (probably dead now, though. This was a couple of years ago.)
Found it:

30/08/02

A Somerset border collie has reached the age of 25 through a healthy
exercise regime and a totally vegan diet.

(Way to go.. running a dog that far out-of-spec!)

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>She is smart like me then. ;-) Come on, cheer up! Cats are cool to have.
>>You collect tons of them in your basement. ;-)
>
> They ARE kind of like tribbles.
>
> If you cut off their legs and tails.

See..., that's why when I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I immediately
think of you.

--
Ashikaga a27

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 06:35:16 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! Polychromic wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
><snip>
>>>She is smart like me then. ;-) Come on, cheer up! Cats are cool to have.
>>>You collect tons of them in your basement. ;-)
>>
>> They ARE kind of like tribbles.
>>
>> If you cut off their legs and tails.
>
>See..., that's why when I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I immediately
>think of you.

I would make a comment about Bill Johnson and the Guardian, but have you
even played an Ultima with the Guardian in it?

--

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>See..., that's why when I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I immediately
>>think of you.
>
> I would make a comment about Bill Johnson and the Guardian, but have you
> even played an Ultima with the Guardian in it?

Yes. Ultima 7 Black Gate is my first Ultima so I know the red face rather
well. Don't sound so condescending.

--
Ashikaga a27

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:37:46 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Yes. Ultima 7 Black Gate is my first Ultima so I know the red face rather
>well. Don't sound so condescending.

But do you know the Guardian - Texas Chainsaw Massacre connection?

--

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>>Yes. Ultima 7 Black Gate is my first Ultima so I know the red face rather
>>well. Don't sound so condescending.
>
> But do you know the Guardian - Texas Chainsaw Massacre connection?

Poly! You are getting old. You've already said the voice actor is the
same person who played the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

--
Ashikaga a27

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:12:16 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! Polychromic wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
>>
>>>Yes. Ultima 7 Black Gate is my first Ultima so I know the red face rather
>>>well. Don't sound so condescending.
>>
>> But do you know the Guardian - Texas Chainsaw Massacre connection?
>
>Poly! You are getting old. You've already said the voice actor is the
>same person who played the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Well not the original but one of the sequels. Anyhow, *I* know I said
that but I wondered if you remembered. Now I feel all special because you
did. Let's hug!

*gets knives ready*

--

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>Poly! You are getting old. You've already said the voice actor is the
>>same person who played the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
>
> Well not the original but one of the sequels. Anyhow, *I* know I said
> that but I wondered if you remembered. Now I feel all special because you
> did. Let's hug!
>
> *gets knives ready*

How sweet.... If I like you that much, I might even hug you despite of
those pointy stuffs, but I feel like hurting your feeling today. :p

--
Ashikaga a27

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 07:25:27 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! Polychromic wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
><snip>
>>>Poly! You are getting old. You've already said the voice actor is the
>>>same person who played the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
>>
>> Well not the original but one of the sequels. Anyhow, *I* know I said
>> that but I wondered if you remembered. Now I feel all special because you
>> did. Let's hug!
>>
>> *gets knives ready*
>
>How sweet.... If I like you that much, I might even hug you despite of
>those pointy stuffs, but I feel like hurting your feeling today. :p

Yes, strike me down and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete.

--

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>How sweet.... If I like you that much, I might even hug you despite of
>>those pointy stuffs, but I feel like hurting your feeling today. :p
>
> Yes, strike me down and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete.

What are you? Avatar? No no no, you are the Guardian.

--
Ashikaga a27

Words to the wise, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:

>I got home to Birmingham around 9 last night; our dog was in a
>quasi-coma for hours. He fnally died about 2:12 AM in the arms of the
>family that loved him. He would have been 15 years old on September
>9.

Some people who dont have close relationships to their pets always
consider this as a not interesting incident. I am not one of that
kind, therefore, *comfies*.