Trying to solve a problem for a new client. They had a 98 computer acting
as a file server. This computer crashed, so they replaced it with an xp
computer. They also purchased a new XP computer as a workstation. They
have dial-up for the Internet. The network was using 169..... addresses
for connection. Someone had set up their network for them. I assigned IP
addresses using 192.168.1.X for each workstation. The new xp computers can
see each other, connect to each other no problem.

The other two workstations on the network cannot ping the server or the
new xp computer. They can send packets, but not receive them. I checked
the cables and the NIC cards and they seem to be fine. One workstation was
upgraded from ME to XP, I am not sure of the history of the other
workstation, but it is also running XP.

According to them, all was well until the server crashed.

Also, when setting up the tcp/ip as static, and having dial-up for the
Internet, is their a certain way to set up the IP protocol in the network
settings?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

Candace Sparks

"Candace Sparks" <rsparks24@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Trying to solve a problem for a new client. They had a 98 computer acting
> as a file server. This computer crashed, so they replaced it with an xp
> computer. They also purchased a new XP computer as a workstation. They
> have dial-up for the Internet. The network was using 169..... addresses
> for connection. Someone had set up their network for them. I assigned IP
> addresses using 192.168.1.X for each workstation. The new xp computers
can
> see each other, connect to each other no problem.
>
> The other two workstations on the network cannot ping the server or the
> new xp computer. They can send packets, but not receive them. I checked
> the cables and the NIC cards and they seem to be fine. One workstation
was
> upgraded from ME to XP, I am not sure of the history of the other
> workstation, but it is also running XP.
>
> According to them, all was well until the server crashed.
>
> Also, when setting up the tcp/ip as static, and having dial-up for the
> Internet, is their a certain way to set up the IP protocol in the network
> settings?
>
> Thanks for the help in advance!!
>
> Candace Sparks

One-way pings are almost always caused by firewalls. Turn
them off during testing!

Firewalls are turned off.
"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Candace Sparks" <rsparks24@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Trying to solve a problem for a new client. They had a 98 computer
>> acting
>> as a file server. This computer crashed, so they replaced it with an xp
>> computer. They also purchased a new XP computer as a workstation. They
>> have dial-up for the Internet. The network was using 169..... addresses
>> for connection. Someone had set up their network for them. I assigned
>> IP
>> addresses using 192.168.1.X for each workstation. The new xp computers
> can
>> see each other, connect to each other no problem.
>>
>> The other two workstations on the network cannot ping the server or the
>> new xp computer. They can send packets, but not receive them. I checked
>> the cables and the NIC cards and they seem to be fine. One workstation
> was
>> upgraded from ME to XP, I am not sure of the history of the other
>> workstation, but it is also running XP.
>>
>> According to them, all was well until the server crashed.
>>
>> Also, when setting up the tcp/ip as static, and having dial-up for the
>> Internet, is their a certain way to set up the IP protocol in the network
>> settings?
>>
>> Thanks for the help in advance!!
>>
>> Candace Sparks
>>

> One-way pings are almost always caused by firewalls. Turn
> them off during testing!

I won't dispute what you say but I have dealt with several
posts where the OP, after much searching, found out that
the firewalls were not really off. Some have a habit of
intercepting packets even when turned off. They need to be
uninstalled.

> Firewalls are turned off.
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Candace Sparks" <rsparks24@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Trying to solve a problem for a new client. They had a 98 computer
> >> acting
> >> as a file server. This computer crashed, so they replaced it with an
xp
> >> computer. They also purchased a new XP computer as a workstation.
They
> >> have dial-up for the Internet. The network was using 169.....
addresses
> >> for connection. Someone had set up their network for them. I assigned
> >> IP
> >> addresses using 192.168.1.X for each workstation. The new xp computers
> > can
> >> see each other, connect to each other no problem.
> >>
> >> The other two workstations on the network cannot ping the server or
the
> >> new xp computer. They can send packets, but not receive them. I
checked
> >> the cables and the NIC cards and they seem to be fine. One workstation
> > was
> >> upgraded from ME to XP, I am not sure of the history of the other
> >> workstation, but it is also running XP.
> >>
> >> According to them, all was well until the server crashed.
> >>
> >> Also, when setting up the tcp/ip as static, and having dial-up for the
> >> Internet, is their a certain way to set up the IP protocol in the
network
> >> settings?
> >>
> >> Thanks for the help in advance!!
> >>
> >> Candace Sparks
> >>

> > One-way pings are almost always caused by firewalls. Turn
> > them off during testing!

Thanks. I will check that out!!