CD vs Vinyl . .the human factor

Last response: in Home Audio
May 28, 2005 1:13:44 AM

I think a factor with all these CD vs Vinyl comparisons that may not
have been explored is the human experience. Most, if not all of us
comparing CD to vinyl have had extensive experience with both. But
perhaps the new generation of audiophile, the ones born into digital
audio who've never owned and maybe even listened to a record, should be
asked to compare. I would find it interesting to see how they would see
things.

Would, after getting over the distortion and inconvenience of the old
format, they then discover some quality that they never noticed or felt
in all thier digital audio experiences?

Food for thought.

CD

More about : vinyl human factor

May 28, 2005 3:49:15 AM

Codifus wrote:

> I think a factor with all these CD vs Vinyl comparisons that may not
> have been explored is the human experience. Most, if not all of us
> comparing CD to vinyl have had extensive experience with both. But
> perhaps the new generation of audiophile, the ones born into digital
> audio who've never owned and maybe even listened to a record, should be
> asked to compare. I would find it interesting to see how they would see
> things.
>
> Would, after getting over the distortion and inconvenience of the old
> format, they then discover some quality that they never noticed or felt
> in all thier digital audio experiences?
>
> Food for thought.
>
> CD

One of my sons is into DJ'ing. He was playing a Rolling Stones vinyl LP
this morning on one of our systems. So I asked him whether he likes the
CD version (which we have) or the vinyl version more. He said the vinyl.
I asked him why, given all the pops and clicks? He said the pops and
clicks gave the songs a lot of character. He also said that there is the
coolness factor in playing vinyl. He was using some pretty poor
speakers, but that did not bother him at all.

Another son of mine is more into classical music, especially piano
music, and he couldn't stand the pops, clicks and surface noise of
vinyl. He much prefers listening to mp3's than vinyl.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:10:06 PM

"Codifus" <codifus@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:D 782i802eio@news2.newsguy.com...
> I think a factor with all these CD vs Vinyl comparisons that may not
> have been explored is the human experience. Most, if not all of us
> comparing CD to vinyl have had extensive experience with both. But
> perhaps the new generation of audiophile, the ones born into digital
> audio who've never owned and maybe even listened to a record, should be
> asked to compare. I would find it interesting to see how they would see
> things.
>
> Would, after getting over the distortion and inconvenience of the old
> format, they then discover some quality that they never noticed or felt
> in all thier digital audio experiences?
>
> Food for thought.

I've had a chance to A-B phono (Linn-Syrinx-Accuphase-Marcoff PP2) vs. CD
(Sony or Marantz-DTI Pro-Proceed PDP) for several folks who fit this
category using identical material. Their first reaction is amazement.
Followed by excitement. I haven't yet had one prefer CD. One now owns a
much better vinyl rig than I. Haven't tried it yet with SACD. And before I
am "jumped", the "tests" weren't tests..they were just side-by-side, level
matched (by ear) demos. But the reactions were genuine.a
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:04:51 AM

Plenty of young people are having the same experience and are "getting
into vinyl" as they put it. I get asked a lot if "vinyl is coming
back" or if "tube amps are coming back" and I just inform them that
they never left. Most people have not seen or heard them recently
because they haven't been outside of a WalMart or the local mall in
years. Sad but true. So a lot of people, young and older are exploring
something that they have overlooked thanks to being exposed to them by
friends or associates. Many find it fun, interesting, exciting, better
and many just find it a curiosity and go back to WalMart. Everyone has
their unique interests and tastes and so I see plenty of young people
"getting into vinyl" due to it being different from what they find as
"typical" or "average" these days. A lot of them find the sound to be
more enjoyable and or realistic. The largest attraction however should
be the great price and selection of titles should they be interested
enough to look for them. Don't bother looking for them at WalWart...
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250