old amp test article

Status
Not open for further replies.

chung

Found this link to a scanned magazine article in another forum:

http://www.touristfilms.com/images/Amp_Sound.pdf

This appears to be a very old article. You are welcome to draw your own
conclusions. One thing I found interesting is that the comments on the
$12K amp are very similar to what some audiophiles say about SACD
(compared to CD's in particular). The overall ratio of right answers
also is amazing: 388/772. 386/772 is *exactly* 50%.

Chung wrote:
> Found this link to a scanned magazine article in another forum:
>
> http://www.touristfilms.com/images/Amp_Sound.pdf
>
> This appears to be a very old article. You are welcome to draw your own
> conclusions. One thing I found interesting is that the comments on the
> $12K amp are very similar to what some audiophiles say about SACD
> (compared to CD's in particular). The overall ratio of right answers
> also is amazing: 388/772. 386/772 is *exactly* 50%.

here are a few things that caught my eye.

"The test sessions themselves involved anywhere from one to eight
listeners at a time."

"The program material was highly varied"

"Practically all the listeners, including skeptics, felt at this point
there *were* audible differences-some with satisfaction, some with
amazement."

"to save time the cable swap tests required only five choices"

When one looks at what was tested all I can say is there were an awful
lot of unneeded variables. I wonder what skeptics thought when they
were amazed to hear differences during the casual listening?

Scott Wheeler