Apple update #1

So the first apples I tried after declaring my intentions of trying more
varieties was Ida Red. I bought an 8lb bag and the first one I ate wasn't
very good (almost tasteless) so I was a little nervous, but every one
since then has been great. Not too sweet, nice colour, reasonably crisp.

I give it a B+.

I also read or heard that Red Delicious apples have the highest
anti-oxidant levels by far - so it'll probably be a good idea to mix in a
bag of them every once in a while too.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 03:48:04 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>So the first apples I tried after declaring my intentions of trying more
>varieties was Ida Red. I bought an 8lb bag and the first one I ate wasn't
>very good (almost tasteless) so I was a little nervous, but every one
>since then has been great. Not too sweet, nice colour, reasonably crisp.
>
>I give it a B+.
>
>I also read or heard that Red Delicious apples have the highest
>anti-oxidant levels by far - so it'll probably be a good idea to mix in a
>bag of them every once in a while too.

Or just eat some tomatoes with your dinner.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Cape Dweller Dragon the True-to-Life Bionic Surgeon of Liberty wrote:
>So the first apples I tried after declaring my intentions of trying more
>varieties was Ida Red. I bought an 8lb bag and the first one I ate wasn't
>very good (almost tasteless) so I was a little nervous, but every one
>since then has been great. Not too sweet, nice colour, reasonably crisp.
>
>I give it a B+.

You know I probably would be okay with almost any apple cut into
quarters (well more like eigths) and with peanut butter on them, just
like mom used to make. I should really do that.

>I also read or heard that Red Delicious apples have the highest
>anti-oxidant levels by far - so it'll probably be a good idea to mix in a
>bag of them every once in a while too.

I recall that being an anti-oxidant in the test tube does not in
anyway guarantee that something will improve longevity or health. I
recall reading that when anti-oxidants were first tested when an
oxidative theory of aging was put forward the lab animals fed
anti-oxidants did not see any prolonging of life. It would not be
suprising that some anti-oxidants have an associated beneficial
affects while others do not, or even that their beneficial effects
depend on the form they are ingested in, biology is annoyingly complex
like that.

In any case fresh fruits and vegetables are an important part of a
healthy diet.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a26, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

Polychromic wrote:

> Or just eat some tomatoes with your dinner.

Tomatoes are quite often part of dinner, but if cooking them destroys
their goodness then that wouldn't work out so well. Of course I've heard
that cooking food (to moderate temperatures anyway) actually aid in the
release of nutrients, even if some of them are destroyed there's a net
increase.

--

Saint George's Dragon wrote:

>>I give it a B+.
>
> You know I probably would be okay with almost any apple cut into quarters
> (well more like eigths) and with peanut butter on them, just like mom used
> to make. I should really do that.

I had a friend down the street who's mother used to salt apple slices. I
don't know if she did it for taste or to keep them from turning brown, but
I never ate apples there.

They also kept their apples in the fridge, and I always thought they were
too cold, but now that's how I store apples.

> It would not be suprising that some anti-oxidants have
> an associated beneficial affects while others do not, or even that their
> beneficial effects depend on the form they are ingested in, biology is
> annoyingly complex like that.

Yeah, that's often true about so many food additives/vitamins/minerals -
take iron, there are so many varieties of iron but some are virtually
worthless as a bioavailable source (and those tend to be the ones added to
foods to increase iron levels to make the label look good).

> In any case fresh fruits and vegetables are an important part of a healthy
> diet.

Some people live on just fresh fruits and vegetables.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>:
> They also kept their apples in the fridge, and I always thought
> they were too cold, but now that's how I store apples.

Keep them in the fridge, take them out and carry them to work with you,
and they'll be just right by lunch-time. S'what I do. :)

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

On 18 Jun 2005 01:06:59 GMT, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>:
>> They also kept their apples in the fridge, and I always thought
>> they were too cold, but now that's how I store apples.
>
>Keep them in the fridge, take them out and carry them to work with you,
>and they'll be just right by lunch-time. S'what I do. :)

If you have a liquid nitrogen fridge, you won't even need a knife to cut
them. Just tap them on the desk into nice splinters. Then remove the
splinters from your frozen, impaled hand and enjoy! Bonded Ape Tight!

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/

Cape Dweller Dragon the True-to-Life Bionic Surgeon of Liberty wrote:
> Saint George's Dragon wrote:
> > In any case fresh fruits and vegetables are an important part of a healthy
> > diet.
> Some people live on just fresh fruits and vegetables.

Hmm, apparently that may not be good for menstruation (
http://outreach.missouri.edu/hesnutrnews/99-3/99-3real.htm ), not so
much an issue for half the population. Apparently not tha many studies
on it though (
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/scientificliterature.html ). I
seem to recall a suggestion that it leaves spending a much longer
amount of time ingesting your food.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a26, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow
[B><B], Website: http://individual.utoronto.ca/fofound
-----------
Yours Truly Saint George's Dragon
Allan Olley -==UDIC==-
-----------
"You're not going crazy you're going sane in a crazy world!" The Tick.

Words to the wise, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

>> They also kept their apples in the fridge, and I always thought
>> they were too cold, but now that's how I store apples.
>
>Keep them in the fridge, take them out and carry them to work with you,
>and they'll be just right by lunch-time. S'what I do. :)

Yep, works very well.

Samurai wrote:

>> They also kept their apples in the fridge, and I always thought they
>> were too cold, but now that's how I store apples.
>
> Keep them in the fridge, take them out and carry them to work with you,
> and they'll be just right by lunch-time. S'what I do. :)

Actually now I prefer apples cold. I always used to like water cold, now
I've grown used to it at room temperature. Of course with two kids now I
don't get to eat much hot food when it's hot either.