Icons on administrative tools missing

June 13, 2005 10:56:08 AM

Hi all,

Don't know if you've also experienced this ? I just finished installing
a new administrative workstation (XP SP2 with all resource kits,
support tools and adminpaks possible...).
Upon finishing the installation, I noticed that the icons for most
administrative tools (all but the standard ones) are missing : they now
have the plain standard Windows icon. I tried to rightclick on the
shortcut to change the icon, but that option is greyed out. Using the
adminpak.msi's repair function didn't help either, nor did uninstalling
and reinstalling the adminpak.
I'm 100% sure that they were OK early on in the install process, but
later on (after installing a bunch of applications), they got
corrupted.

Mind you, the applications themselves work without any problem, that's
not the issue. It's more of a 'cosmetic' thing...

Anyone knows how to get the icons back ?
June 13, 2005 12:35:06 PM

Joris wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Don't know if you've also experienced this ? I just finished
> installing a new administrative workstation (XP SP2 with all resource
> kits, support tools and adminpaks possible...).
> Upon finishing the installation, I noticed that the icons for most
> administrative tools (all but the standard ones) are missing : they
> now have the plain standard Windows icon. I tried to rightclick on the
> shortcut to change the icon, but that option is greyed out. Using the
> adminpak.msi's repair function didn't help either, nor did
> uninstalling and reinstalling the adminpak.
> I'm 100% sure that they were OK early on in the install process, but
> later on (after installing a bunch of applications), they got
> corrupted.
>
> Mind you, the applications themselves work without any problem, that's
> not the issue. It's more of a 'cosmetic' thing...
>
> Anyone knows how to get the icons back ?

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admintools.htm

or go to MVP Kelly Theriot's site and try line 299:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

See if re-creating the icons helps.
http://www.winhelponline.com/admintools.htm

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"Joris" <joris.dinet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Don't know if you've also experienced this ? I just finished installing
> a new administrative workstation (XP SP2 with all resource kits,
> support tools and adminpaks possible...).
> Upon finishing the installation, I noticed that the icons for most
> administrative tools (all but the standard ones) are missing : they now
> have the plain standard Windows icon. I tried to rightclick on the
> shortcut to change the icon, but that option is greyed out. Using the
> adminpak.msi's repair function didn't help either, nor did uninstalling
> and reinstalling the adminpak.
> I'm 100% sure that they were OK early on in the install process, but
> later on (after installing a bunch of applications), they got
> corrupted.
>
> Mind you, the applications themselves work without any problem, that's
> not the issue. It's more of a 'cosmetic' thing...
>
> Anyone knows how to get the icons back ?
June 14, 2005 6:35:32 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your quick replies. I should have made myself more clear :
the icons for the common administrative tools (like services, computer
management, event viewer etc) are still there and they are OK. It's
just the icons for the administrative tools installed by adminpak.msi
that have gone missing (for tools like Active Directory Users and
Computers, DNS, DHCP, Wins, ...).

I tried removing adminpak.msi and reinstalling it, I tried both the
Windows 2000 and 2003 versions of adminpak.msi, I tried to repair it
using Add/Remove programs, but I still have the wrong icons for these
extra adminpak tools...
October 13, 2009 7:38:26 PM

Everyone,

I found the icon file for Active Directory Users and Computers - it is in c:\windows\system32\dsadmin.dll.
-SL
!