Problems with Internet Explorer (through AOL)

I've had massive problems with internet explorer since a download of Mcafee
virus crashed midway through a few weeks ago. Basically, when on AOL
(through internet explorer - think it's version 5 and I'm on Windows XP 1),
links on websites that should be there are blank - also, when I try to sign
in to any website I'm a member of, it won't open up the member pages. It
means I can't use the internet through AOL at all - I've had to download
Mozilla Firefox and that works fine, but would really like to fix the IE.

Have tried all sorts with help of AOL, but no joy. Have tried downloading
new version of IE, but same thing happens. Windows Media Player is also bust
and I can't download a new version (always says internal application error
when trying to use WMP or download a new version).

Pretty hard to explain the problem in words, but hopefully someone out there
has experienced this....

Yours hopefully.
6 answers Last reply
More about problems internet explorer through

    What is the status of your MacAfee? Is it running, or is there an aborted
    install remaining?

    If AOL installed a program called Port Magic on your computer, uninstall it
    using Control Panel Add/Remove programs. If applicable that may fix the
    problem.

    Otherwise, one of these utilities may resolve it.
    LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    WinSock XP Fix http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

    If all else fails see How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and
    Outlook Express in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378
    --

    "Priceyspeaks" <Priceyspeaks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've had massive problems with internet explorer since a download of
    > Mcafee
    > virus crashed midway through a few weeks ago. Basically, when on AOL
    > (through internet explorer - think it's version 5 and I'm on Windows XP
    > 1),
    > links on websites that should be there are blank - also, when I try to
    > sign
    > in to any website I'm a member of, it won't open up the member pages. It
    > means I can't use the internet through AOL at all - I've had to download
    > Mozilla Firefox and that works fine, but would really like to fix the IE.
    >
    > Have tried all sorts with help of AOL, but no joy. Have tried downloading
    > new version of IE, but same thing happens. Windows Media Player is also
    > bust
    > and I can't download a new version (always says internal application error
    > when trying to use WMP or download a new version).
    >
    > Pretty hard to explain the problem in words, but hopefully someone out
    > there
    > has experienced this....
    >
    > Yours hopefully.

    The first thing you need to do is call AOL and cancel your AOL account, the
    sooner the better, if you have any respect for your computer at all. The
    second thing you need to do is get a new ISP. Then, format your hard drive
    and reinstall Windows. Use the SP 2 CD to install SP2 and then go to Windows
    Update to get the rest of the updates. Then do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag and
    install your programs. Then install your devices. Then do a clean
    up/chkdsk/defrag and your computer should be as good as new.

    Alias

    "Priceyspeaks" wrote

    > I've had massive problems with internet explorer since a download of
    > Mcafee
    > virus crashed midway through a few weeks ago. Basically, when on AOL
    > (through internet explorer - think it's version 5 and I'm on Windows XP
    > 1),
    > links on websites that should be there are blank - also, when I try to
    > sign
    > in to any website I'm a member of, it won't open up the member pages. It
    > means I can't use the internet through AOL at all - I've had to download
    > Mozilla Firefox and that works fine, but would really like to fix the IE.
    >
    > Have tried all sorts with help of AOL, but no joy. Have tried downloading
    > new version of IE, but same thing happens. Windows Media Player is also
    > bust
    > and I can't download a new version (always says internal application error
    > when trying to use WMP or download a new version).
    >
    > Pretty hard to explain the problem in words, but hopefully someone out
    > there
    > has experienced this....
    >
    > Yours hopefully.

    To look for reviews for Isp's in your area, go to;
    'Broadband Reports' (http://www.broadbandreports.com/)
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Thanks for the advice - agree that AOL aren't the best, but I'm in a
    12-monther with them. Do I have to reinstall Windows XP or is there another
    way around it - seems to be isolated to explorer and Windows Media.

    Cheers

    Priceyspeaks

    "Alias" wrote:

    > The first thing you need to do is call AOL and cancel your AOL account, the
    > sooner the better, if you have any respect for your computer at all. The
    > second thing you need to do is get a new ISP. Then, format your hard drive
    > and reinstall Windows. Use the SP 2 CD to install SP2 and then go to Windows
    > Update to get the rest of the updates. Then do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag and
    > install your programs. Then install your devices. Then do a clean
    > up/chkdsk/defrag and your computer should be as good as new.
    >
    > Alias
    >
    > "Priceyspeaks" wrote
    >
    > > I've had massive problems with internet explorer since a download of
    > > Mcafee
    > > virus crashed midway through a few weeks ago. Basically, when on AOL
    > > (through internet explorer - think it's version 5 and I'm on Windows XP
    > > 1),
    > > links on websites that should be there are blank - also, when I try to
    > > sign
    > > in to any website I'm a member of, it won't open up the member pages. It
    > > means I can't use the internet through AOL at all - I've had to download
    > > Mozilla Firefox and that works fine, but would really like to fix the IE.
    > >
    > > Have tried all sorts with help of AOL, but no joy. Have tried downloading
    > > new version of IE, but same thing happens. Windows Media Player is also
    > > bust
    > > and I can't download a new version (always says internal application error
    > > when trying to use WMP or download a new version).
    > >
    > > Pretty hard to explain the problem in words, but hopefully someone out
    > > there
    > > has experienced this....
    > >
    > > Yours hopefully.

    You need to get AOL off your computer! And the only sure way is to reformat
    because AOL spreads their junk all over your registry. Call them and cancel
    your contract. They'll try very hard to talk you out of it but if you're
    firm, they will give in.

    Alias

    =?Utf-8?B?UHJpY2V5c3BlYWtz?= <Priceyspeaks@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
    >Thanks for the advice - agree that AOL aren't the best, but I'm in a
    >12-monther with them. Do I have to reinstall Windows XP or is there another
    >way around it - seems to be isolated to explorer and Windows Media.

    Experience dictates that you should prepare yourself to have people
    pee on you if you show up in a microsoft newsgroup and ask for any
    assistance with anything to do with AOL. But the same response
    often happens for other products that have millions of seemingly
    happy customers out there using them every day.

    Ignoring them, there are less drastic steps than reinstall that are
    usually suggested first, there is a "repair" process that can be
    done from the windows CD. Repair is supposed to keep all your user
    data but with computers it is only reasonable caution to expect
    that something might go wrong. So, if you have important information
    and you can save it before trying to do the repair process, save it.

    You can google for
    windows xp repair
    and read some of the directions and see if they provide some real
    help without all the weenies jumping up and down ranting about what
    they don't like.

    I hope something in this actually helps.

    >Cheers
    >Priceyspeaks

    >"Alias" wrote:
    >> The first thing you need to do is call AOL and cancel your AOL account, the
    >> sooner the better, if you have any respect for your computer at all. The
    >> second thing you need to do is get a new ISP. Then, format your hard drive
    >> and reinstall Windows. Use the SP 2 CD to install SP2 and then go to Windows
    >> Update to get the rest of the updates. Then do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag and
    >> install your programs. Then install your devices. Then do a clean
    >> up/chkdsk/defrag and your computer should be as good as new.
    >>
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> "Priceyspeaks" wrote
    >>
    >> > I've had massive problems with internet explorer since a download of
    >> > Mcafee
    >> > virus crashed midway through a few weeks ago. Basically, when on AOL
    >> > (through internet explorer - think it's version 5 and I'm on Windows XP
    >> > 1),
    >> > links on websites that should be there are blank - also, when I try to
    >> > sign
    >> > in to any website I'm a member of, it won't open up the member pages. It
    >> > means I can't use the internet through AOL at all - I've had to download
    >> > Mozilla Firefox and that works fine, but would really like to fix the IE.
    >> >
    >> > Have tried all sorts with help of AOL, but no joy. Have tried downloading
    >> > new version of IE, but same thing happens. Windows Media Player is also
    >> > bust
    >> > and I can't download a new version (always says internal application error
    >> > when trying to use WMP or download a new version).
    >> >
    >> > Pretty hard to explain the problem in words, but hopefully someone out
    >> > there
    >> > has experienced this....
    >> >
    >> > Yours hopefully.

Download Internet Explorer AOL Windows XP