Problems with Internet Explorer (through AOL)

June 13, 2005 11:17:06 AM

I've had massive problems with internet explorer since a download of Mcafee
virus crashed midway through a few weeks ago. Basically, when on AOL
(through internet explorer - think it's version 5 and I'm on Windows XP 1),
links on websites that should be there are blank - also, when I try to sign
in to any website I'm a member of, it won't open up the member pages. It
means I can't use the internet through AOL at all - I've had to download
Mozilla Firefox and that works fine, but would really like to fix the IE.

Have tried all sorts with help of AOL, but no joy. Have tried downloading
new version of IE, but same thing happens. Windows Media Player is also bust
and I can't download a new version (always says internal application error
when trying to use WMP or download a new version).

Pretty hard to explain the problem in words, but hopefully someone out there
has experienced this....

Yours hopefully.
June 13, 2005 4:55:20 PM

What is the status of your MacAfee? Is it running, or is there an aborted
install remaining?

If AOL installed a program called Port Magic on your computer, uninstall it
using Control Panel Add/Remove programs. If applicable that may fix the
problem.

Otherwise, one of these utilities may resolve it.
LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
WinSock XP Fix http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

If all else fails see How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and
Outlook Express in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378
--

"Priceyspeaks" <Priceyspeaks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've had massive problems with internet explorer since a download of
> Mcafee
> virus crashed midway through a few weeks ago. Basically, when on AOL
> (through internet explorer - think it's version 5 and I'm on Windows XP
> 1),
> links on websites that should be there are blank - also, when I try to
> sign
> in to any website I'm a member of, it won't open up the member pages. It
> means I can't use the internet through AOL at all - I've had to download
> Mozilla Firefox and that works fine, but would really like to fix the IE.
>
> Have tried all sorts with help of AOL, but no joy. Have tried downloading
> new version of IE, but same thing happens. Windows Media Player is also
> bust
> and I can't download a new version (always says internal application error
> when trying to use WMP or download a new version).
>
> Pretty hard to explain the problem in words, but hopefully someone out
> there
> has experienced this....
>
> Yours hopefully.
June 13, 2005 8:26:39 PM

The first thing you need to do is call AOL and cancel your AOL account, the
sooner the better, if you have any respect for your computer at all. The
second thing you need to do is get a new ISP. Then, format your hard drive
and reinstall Windows. Use the SP 2 CD to install SP2 and then go to Windows
Update to get the rest of the updates. Then do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag and
install your programs. Then install your devices. Then do a clean
up/chkdsk/defrag and your computer should be as good as new.

Alias

"Priceyspeaks" wrote

> I've had massive problems with internet explorer since a download of
> Mcafee
> virus crashed midway through a few weeks ago. Basically, when on AOL
> (through internet explorer - think it's version 5 and I'm on Windows XP
> 1),
> links on websites that should be there are blank - also, when I try to
> sign
> in to any website I'm a member of, it won't open up the member pages. It
> means I can't use the internet through AOL at all - I've had to download
> Mozilla Firefox and that works fine, but would really like to fix the IE.
>
> Have tried all sorts with help of AOL, but no joy. Have tried downloading
> new version of IE, but same thing happens. Windows Media Player is also
> bust
> and I can't download a new version (always says internal application error
> when trying to use WMP or download a new version).
>
> Pretty hard to explain the problem in words, but hopefully someone out
> there
> has experienced this....
>
> Yours hopefully.
June 13, 2005 8:26:40 PM

Thanks for the advice - agree that AOL aren't the best, but I'm in a
12-monther with them. Do I have to reinstall Windows XP or is there another
way around it - seems to be isolated to explorer and Windows Media.

Cheers

Priceyspeaks

"Alias" wrote:

> The first thing you need to do is call AOL and cancel your AOL account, the
> sooner the better, if you have any respect for your computer at all. The
> second thing you need to do is get a new ISP. Then, format your hard drive
> and reinstall Windows. Use the SP 2 CD to install SP2 and then go to Windows
> Update to get the rest of the updates. Then do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag and
> install your programs. Then install your devices. Then do a clean
> up/chkdsk/defrag and your computer should be as good as new.
>
> Alias
>
> "Priceyspeaks" wrote
>
> > I've had massive problems with internet explorer since a download of
> > Mcafee
> > virus crashed midway through a few weeks ago. Basically, when on AOL
> > (through internet explorer - think it's version 5 and I'm on Windows XP
> > 1),
> > links on websites that should be there are blank - also, when I try to
> > sign
> > in to any website I'm a member of, it won't open up the member pages. It
> > means I can't use the internet through AOL at all - I've had to download
> > Mozilla Firefox and that works fine, but would really like to fix the IE.
> >
> > Have tried all sorts with help of AOL, but no joy. Have tried downloading
> > new version of IE, but same thing happens. Windows Media Player is also
> > bust
> > and I can't download a new version (always says internal application error
> > when trying to use WMP or download a new version).
> >
> > Pretty hard to explain the problem in words, but hopefully someone out
> > there
> > has experienced this....
> >
> > Yours hopefully.

June 13, 2005 10:49:44 PM

You need to get AOL off your computer! And the only sure way is to reformat
because AOL spreads their junk all over your registry. Call them and cancel
your contract. They'll try very hard to talk you out of it but if you're
firm, they will give in.

Alias
"Priceyspeaks" <Priceyspeaks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Thanks for the advice - agree that AOL aren't the best, but I'm in a
> 12-monther with them. Do I have to reinstall Windows XP or is there
> another
> way around it - seems to be isolated to explorer and Windows Media.
>
> Cheers
>
> Priceyspeaks
>
> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> The first thing you need to do is call AOL and cancel your AOL account,
>> the
>> sooner the better, if you have any respect for your computer at all. The
>> second thing you need to do is get a new ISP. Then, format your hard
>> drive
>> and reinstall Windows. Use the SP 2 CD to install SP2 and then go to
>> Windows
>> Update to get the rest of the updates. Then do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag
>> and
>> install your programs. Then install your devices. Then do a clean
>> up/chkdsk/defrag and your computer should be as good as new.
>>
>> Alias
>>
>> "Priceyspeaks" wrote
>>
>> > I've had massive problems with internet explorer since a download of
>> > Mcafee
>> > virus crashed midway through a few weeks ago. Basically, when on AOL
>> > (through internet explorer - think it's version 5 and I'm on Windows XP
>> > 1),
>> > links on websites that should be there are blank - also, when I try to
>> > sign
>> > in to any website I'm a member of, it won't open up the member pages.
>> > It
>> > means I can't use the internet through AOL at all - I've had to
>> > download
>> > Mozilla Firefox and that works fine, but would really like to fix the
>> > IE.
>> >
>> > Have tried all sorts with help of AOL, but no joy. Have tried
>> > downloading
>> > new version of IE, but same thing happens. Windows Media Player is
>> > also
>> > bust
>> > and I can't download a new version (always says internal application
>> > error
>> > when trying to use WMP or download a new version).
>> >
>> > Pretty hard to explain the problem in words, but hopefully someone out
>> > there
>> > has experienced this....
>> >
>> > Yours hopefully.

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:23:36 AM

=?Utf-8?B?UHJpY2V5c3BlYWtz?= <Priceyspeaks@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
>Thanks for the advice - agree that AOL aren't the best, but I'm in a
>12-monther with them. Do I have to reinstall Windows XP or is there another
>way around it - seems to be isolated to explorer and Windows Media.

Experience dictates that you should prepare yourself to have people
pee on you if you show up in a microsoft newsgroup and ask for any
assistance with anything to do with AOL. But the same response
often happens for other products that have millions of seemingly
happy customers out there using them every day.

Ignoring them, there are less drastic steps than reinstall that are
usually suggested first, there is a "repair" process that can be
done from the windows CD. Repair is supposed to keep all your user
data but with computers it is only reasonable caution to expect
that something might go wrong. So, if you have important information
and you can save it before trying to do the repair process, save it.

You can google for
windows xp repair
and read some of the directions and see if they provide some real
help without all the weenies jumping up and down ranting about what
they don't like.

I hope something in this actually helps.

!