Perspective shift from U5 to U6 and later

I was introduced to computer RPGs with Ultima III. Thenmy friends and I
found II and conquered it. When IV and V came out we were blown away each
time as the story and indeed the entire game world got richer and fuller.

However, I haven't actually finished an Ultima since V. For some reason, I
have always had a problem with the way the graphics perspective changed
after V. I always liked the way the earlier Ultimas had the large scale
world map to explore, and then "entering" towns,castles etc. we would be
presented with detail maps to explore. This really gave me a sense that
while towns could be vast and intricate, they occupied a proportional space
in the vast wilderness of Britannia (or Sosaria). I also liked the inclusion
of a separate combat detail screen.(although this could have used quite a
bit of polishing - something more relevant to the current game situation
than the same recycled combat maps determined by the terrain tile you
entered combat from.)

Starting with VI, with everything in one seamless map perspective, mountains
for instance appeared the same size as houses, and indeed your character
looked large enough in proportion to the natural world that he should be
able to vault over a mountain in about three steps or so. Boats take up so
much of the screen that I felt the game lost the sense of exploring vast
oceans.

With the animation of the (now larger size) characters to include detail of
each step taken, I felt that a journey from Britain to Paws, for instance
seemed to be no longer a bit of a trek, but "just up the street" - I mean it
is only about 30 or 40 animated paces away. I always imagined Britain and
LB's Castle at the edge of a great plain leading down from the Serpent's
Spine, situated on the edge of an excellent harbor. But in VI and VII that
castle and town seem to spill out to dominate the entire free land space in
that area, prominently featuring mountain sized buildings.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the actual art concepts behind the graphics. I
would have loved to see the town art from Ultima VII used inside "Town Maps"
to be entered and exited. All the fun details of poking around shops and
rooting around in chests etc. could have been included while preserving the
sense of a properly vast wilderness for adventuring in. Maybe its my D&D
roots, but I enjoy the "Stock up in towns, go forth to explore, slay and
amass treasure, then return to town to resupply / upgrade gear etc."
formula. I felt this formula was better brought to the computer in the
earlier Ultimas. I have many memories of leggin' it to the nearest town,
characters but a few HP from death, with hordes of all-too-powerful monsters
hot on my heels. Ahh, the relief when the safe haven of a town is gained . .
..

Am I crazy to actually prefer the graphics perspective of the earlier games?
Maybe it just comes down to having a soft spot for the first Ultimas I
played.

RedBanks wrote:

> Starting with VI, with everything in one seamless map perspective,
> mountains for instance appeared the same size as houses, and indeed your
> character looked large enough in proportion to the natural world that he
> should be able to vault over a mountain in about three steps or so. Boats
> take up so much of the screen that I felt the game lost the sense of
> exploring vast oceans.

I prefer U6 and U7 to anything that came before, but I have to agree with
you there. Travel in U6 can take days of game time, but that's still too
short.. it should take weeks, and months to traverse the world.

U9 is even worse, the entire planet is about the size of Pontypool,
probably smaller.

I've been trying to do something like this with my U6 clone, but it's just
not very easy to do without either making time run stupidly quick, or
having to fill in vast tracts of land. There's a reason my offering is
taking so long. U6 took about 10 man-years, so I guess I'm pretty
much on schedule :(

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

> short.. it should take weeks, and months to traverse the world.

I liked the way Fallout handled world map travel. You could stop
wherever you wanted to on the map, but long journeys were abstracted to
a dotted-line style graphic unless something significant was discovered.
I always felt like I was really "travelling" somewhere in that game.

--
/\_./b__ _O_ <====o Lost Dragon o====> _|_ __d\._/\
(/^/(_^^' | I like people - I just can't eat a whole one | `^^_)\^\)

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 00:34:32 -0500, Lost Dragon <kulhain@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> short.. it should take weeks, and months to traverse the world.
>
>I liked the way Fallout handled world map travel. You could stop
>wherever you wanted to on the map, but long journeys were abstracted to
>a dotted-line style graphic unless something significant was discovered.
> I always felt like I was really "travelling" somewhere in that game.

Yes, that was a pretty good way to do it. Basically it's another way of
doing the early Ultima style of expanding cities.

Personally, I'd like an immersive rpg with real scale. I want to be able
to walk for hundreds of hours if not days exploring, getting lost, etc.
I'd include a traditional style folding map in the game box. Just think -
a game where finding an NPC would be a big deal, not just "ho hum another
town another bartender".

I think a post-apocalyptic world would be a good setting because you could
sell regional versions to start in. Start in a big city you're familiar
with, then as you advance buy (at low cost since there are no servers to
maintain) or download additional regions to explore. Eventually have a
complete global map!

Then there is the idea of making it multiplayer where meeting another
player results in an exchange of notes and maps.

Hmmm.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

> Personally, I'd like an immersive rpg with real scale. I want to be able
> to walk for hundreds of hours if not days exploring, getting lost, etc.

I'd like that as well, but only if the land along the way was chock full
of interest. Strolling through massive blocks of uninspired terrain
isn't my thing. To me, U7 managed to balance things out pretty well.

I've seen a few MMORGP wasteland genre games in development, but none of
them have really caught my interest yet.

It's too bad Origin never developed Bad Blood into a franchise. That
could have been kind of cool.

--

Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>Personally, I'd like an immersive rpg with real scale. I want to be able
>to walk for hundreds of hours if not days exploring, getting lost, etc.
>I'd include a traditional style folding map in the game box. Just think -
>a game where finding an NPC would be a big deal, not just "ho hum another
>town another bartender".

Daggerfalls?

"RedBanks" <litebrite@i-cable.com> wrote in message

> However, I haven't actually finished an Ultima since V. For some reason, I
> have always had a problem with the way the graphics perspective changed
> after V. I always liked the way the earlier Ultimas had the large scale
> world map to explore, and then "entering" towns,castles etc. we would be
> presented with detail maps to explore. This really gave me a sense that

I always thought the multiple perspective maps were stupid. Yes, they give
the illusion of grandeur to the world--but that's all it is, and illusion.
There's nothing in that swampy peninsula northwest of Yew in U4, it's just
there for decoration. You can't explore anything. There's nothing unique
about any particular area to give it meaning.

By contrast, in Ultima VII (and to a far lesser extent, U6), there were
interesting things to see and do throughout the entire game map, whether
it's a random tower with a locked door in the middle of the great forest, or
a serpent mound on an island, or random pirate hideouts on the coast.
That's what made U7 so memorable to me; there was soemthing new at every
turn!

I concede this led to absurdity when it comes to the size of the game
world--Paws really is just down the street. But given the choice between
detailed small world and big but utterly fake world, I would much prefer the
former.

Daggerfall and other games have tried the "truly huge world" method. IMO,
Daggerfall had an awesome atomsphere, but because the world was so enormous,
there was no detail and virtually everything was obviously generated at
random. It was awful and lost its magic very quickly. There was no
personality, no nothing.
(It didn't help that the NPCs in buildings resembled nothing better than
cardboard cutouts--literaly).

> sense of a properly vast wilderness for adventuring in. Maybe its my D&D
> roots, but I enjoy the "Stock up in towns, go forth to explore, slay and
> amass treasure, then return to town to resupply / upgrade gear etc."

I think you have some odd D&D roots, then. In my mind, what made a strong
D&D'ing experience was an intelligent and creative DM along with a
challenging, interactive, and adaptive gameworld. The early Ultimas
completely lacked this until U5 or so, largely because it requires a much
more ambitious design. U5 and onwards tried to add more of this "real
world" ness to the game, with varying degrees of success.

That being said, whacking monsters and gathering loot can be awful fun.
That's why I like the original Diablo so much more than its sequels. It was
designed with only that goal in mind.

-Ophidian

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu>:
> I concede this led to absurdity when it comes to the size of the
> game world--Paws really is just down the street. But given the
> choice between detailed small world and big but utterly fake
> world, I would much prefer the former.

I entirely agree, and welcomed the change in U6, personally.

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

"Samurai" <nospam@dev.nul> wrote in message
> Quoth "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu>:
>> I concede this led to absurdity when it comes to the size of the
>> game world--Paws really is just down the street. But given the
>> choice between detailed small world and big but utterly fake
>> world, I would much prefer the former.
>
> I entirely agree, and welcomed the change in U6, personally.

Though I would add that U6 has a fair amount of fakery going on too, with
some seriously repetitive terrain areas (especially the forests and in in
the mountains--there's one mountain tarrain block with a small valley and a
lonely swamp tile in the middle that I see EVERYWHERE).

-Ophidian

"Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote in message

> "Samurai" <nospam@dev.nul> wrote in message
>> Quoth "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu>:
>>> I concede this led to absurdity when it comes to the size of the
>>> game world--Paws really is just down the street. But given the
>>> choice between detailed small world and big but utterly fake
>>> world, I would much prefer the former.
>>
>> I entirely agree, and welcomed the change in U6, personally.
>>

> Though I would add that U6 has a fair amount of fakery going on too, with
> some seriously repetitive terrain areas (especially the forests and in in
> the mountains--there's one mountain tarrain block with a small valley and
> a lonely swamp tile in the middle that I see EVERYWHERE).

True, but there are only 1024 different "chunks" in U6, while the Britannia
map consists of 128x128 chunks, and the 5 dungeon areas are 32x32 chunks.
This amounts to 21504 chunks, so if they were to use every chunk the same
amount of times, you'd still see *every* chunk at 21 different places in the
game. And this is not even remotely possible since some chunks are so
"specific"-looking.

But I do agree with you. I guess I just wanted to brag a little about my
chunk knowledge. I'm a chunk buff. Or, I'd wanna be.

By the way, I think you're talking about tile 487 (0-based).

LVD

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu>:
> Though I would add that U6 has a fair amount of fakery going on
> too, with some seriously repetitive terrain areas (especially the
> forests and in in the mountains--there's one mountain tarrain
> block with a small valley and a lonely swamp tile in the middle
> that I see EVERYWHERE).

Yes, that was a slight issue, but I could live with it. U6 was the
first game I had that actually made use of my VGA adapter. That made
it very special, AFAIWC. :)

\^\^//

Zac Bond wrote:
> "Samurai" <nospam@dev.nul> wrote in message
>
>>Quoth "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu>:
>>
>>>I concede this led to absurdity when it comes to the size of the
>>>game world--Paws really is just down the street. But given the
>>>choice between detailed small world and big but utterly fake
>>>world, I would much prefer the former.
>>
>>I entirely agree, and welcomed the change in U6, personally.
>>

> Though I would add that U6 has a fair amount of fakery going on too, with
> some seriously repetitive terrain areas (especially the forests and in in
> the mountains--there's one mountain tarrain block with a small valley and a
> lonely swamp tile in the middle that I see EVERYWHERE).

I did wonder whether I should have used chunks in IRE/ROTJ. It would have
speeded up the process of creating large areas of land, mountainscapes
and forest in particular. However, it is a total bitch when it comes to
constructing a large, unique object like a castle, and it doesn't help much
with objects either.

--
Developing a U6/U7 clone http://ire.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KA u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----

> I always thought the multiple perspective maps were stupid. Yes, they

> give

> the illusion of grandeur to the world--but that's all it is, and illusion.

> There's nothing in that swampy peninsula northwest of Yew in U4, it's just

> there for decoration. You can't explore anything. There's nothing unique

> about any particular area to give it meaning.

No, the multiple perspective maps were not stupid, but they did, in fact
interfere with your Cliff's Notes style Prima
Fast-Track-Victory-Without-Effort play style. I personally would not want to
play your ideal of a game where every explorable area contained
plot-furthering material - - hence no more exploration, only a
mind-numbingly rote series of flag gathering i.e. each location reveals plot
furthering essentials - - just wander aimlessly and watch the game
automatically unfold. I think at some level a simulation of real-world
wilderness adventuring should come into play, with terrain difficulty
factored in.

I agree with you, however that this would interfere with the expediency of
your quest-fulfillment (quest as Rote requirement-fulfillment procedure, not
as exploratory adventure).

> By contrast, in Ultima VII (and to a far lesser extent, U6), there

> were

> interesting things to see and do throughout the entire game map, whether

> it's a random tower with a locked door in the middle of the great forest,
> or

> a serpent mound on an island, or random pirate hideouts on the coast.

> That's what made U7 so memorable to me; there was something new at every

> turn!

> But given the choice between detailed small world and big but utterly fake
> world, I would much prefer the

> former.

"utterly fake" - - to your perspective fake is a game without a titillating
graphic and sonic reward at each step. Man, I pity the DM who would have to
satisfy you. They would have to reward every single of your gaming actions
with Treasure, Amazement, and Disney-esque Wonder.

> > sense of a properly vast wilderness for adventuring in. Maybe its my

> > D&D

> > roots, but I enjoy the "Stock up in towns, go forth to explore, slay and

> > amass treasure, then return to town to resupply / upgrade gear etc."

> I think you have some odd D&D roots, then. In my mind, what made a

> strong

> D&D'ing experience was an intelligent and creative DM along with a

> challenging, interactive, and adaptive gameworld.

But you are the one who asserts that movement within the gaming world that
does not immediately further the game plot is without value. To me this
prevents an intelligent and creative game world. This perhaps explains your
fascination with Diablo (left click continuously until complete victory).

No, I miss the unscripted days of the early Ultimas. Victory was but a
side-element to the game then. Travel, adventure, exploration - it was all
permissible. That spirit of adventure was finally quenched with Ultima
VII-part 2, "Connect The Dots"

I have a feeling, re-reading posts here that the majority of the
participants are younger than me, and therefore Later-Day-Ultima fans - -
never having cut their teeth in the groundbreaking Ultima days.

We are a dying breed, us old-timers.

Let's hear it for the days of Zip-Loc baggies and the Photocopied
Instructions!!

Hear, Hear!!!

Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
> True, but there are only 1024 different "chunks" in U6, while the Britannia
> map consists of 128x128 chunks, and the 5 dungeon areas are 32x32 chunks.
> This amounts to 21504 chunks, so if they were to use every chunk the same
> amount of times, you'd still see *every* chunk at 21 different places in the
> game. And this is not even remotely possible since some chunks are so
> "specific"-looking.

Woo. Chunky Britannia.

> But I do agree with you. I guess I just wanted to brag a little about my
> chunk knowledge. I'm a chunk buff. Or, I'd wanna be.
>
> By the way, I think you're talking about tile 487 (0-based).

Oh, then what's with the constantly-recurring 'spur' of land you see
when following a coastline? Which I believe always has a small island
hanging around, too. But I'm not sure on that; it's been a while.

I will admit to the repetition involved in chunk-mapping, but still, I
think U6 did rather well. The seamless map, in my mind, was a step up.

ANother step up would be if they mapped tile by tile, isntead of chunk
by chunk, but I don't think they could be paid enough for THAT. 1024x
for the main map, and 256x for the four dungeon levels and the
underworld? What's that, all told.... 1,376,256 tiles, apparently. If I
did the math right.

-Lumina Dragon

RedBanks wrote:
>>I always thought the multiple perspective maps were stupid. Yes, they
>>give
>>the illusion of grandeur to the world--but that's all it is, and illusion.
>>There's nothing in that swampy peninsula northwest of Yew in U4, it's just
>>there for decoration. You can't explore anything. There's nothing unique
>>about any particular area to give it meaning.
>
> No, the multiple perspective maps were not stupid, but they did, in fact
> interfere with your Cliff's Notes style Prima
> Fast-Track-Victory-Without-Effort play style. I personally would not want to
> play your ideal of a game where every explorable area contained
> plot-furthering material - - hence no more exploration, only a
> mind-numbingly rote series of flag gathering i.e. each location reveals plot
> furthering essentials - - just wander aimlessly and watch the game
> automatically unfold. I think at some level a simulation of real-world
> wilderness adventuring should come into play, with terrain difficulty
> factored in.
>
> I agree with you, however that this would interfere with the expediency of
> your quest-fulfillment (quest as Rote requirement-fulfillment procedure, not
> as exploratory adventure).

Not every corner of Britannia needs something to reward you, and even in
U6 and U7, not every corner of Britannia has such.

Ever just decide to ignore your quest and take a walk? I rather like
how, in U6 and U7, it's a seamless world, because I could walk from
Trinsic to Moonglow, seeing all the scenery I desired as I weaved from
area to area (always take the long road), without any transition. And it
ends up being a longer walk than it would be on the smaller maps of the
elder Britannias.

Do I get any rewards for just taking this scenic tour? Well, aside from
the foes encountered on the way dropping stuff (something they do in
elder ultimas as well), not really.

And when I do - well, it's usually worth the finding. I'm not one for
using walkthroughs first time through a game, and in games like the
Ultimas, I see no real need to use them at all even on replays. In both
the elder ultimas and in 6 and 7, you can just explore around and
occasionally find something interesting.

Heck, the newer ones actually do it better, as not everything you find
is related to the quest. In U6, you can be exploring, come across the
cave "Heroes' Hole", and fight in there and get treasure in there and
it's not a place you ever have to visit in the game. It's window
dressing. Atmosphere. Not even a sidequest deals with it.

Yes, it's a reward... but it's a reward simply for exploring!
Unlooked-for, unnecessary, unimportant. It's what freeform gaming is all
about! Even if it hadn't had the treasure, it'd be worth doing. Finding
a dungeon out in the wilderness that you normally would never come
across if you went from point A, to B, to C,....

>>By contrast, in Ultima VII (and to a far lesser extent, U6), there
>>were
>>interesting things to see and do throughout the entire game map, whether
>>it's a random tower with a locked door in the middle of the great forest,
>>or
>>a serpent mound on an island, or random pirate hideouts on the coast.
>>That's what made U7 so memorable to me; there was something new at every
>>turn!
>>But given the choice between detailed small world and big but utterly fake
>>world, I would much prefer the
>>former.
>
> "utterly fake" - - to your perspective fake is a game without a titillating
> graphic and sonic reward at each step. Man, I pity the DM who would have to
> satisfy you. They would have to reward every single of your gaming actions
> with Treasure, Amazement, and Disney-esque Wonder.

You miss the point, here. We don't need the reward. Sure, we like
finding it, but if it weren't there, it'd still be worth taking a look.
Because if we don't look, HOW DO WE KNOW?

And so, some rewards are placed in, for the benefit of the people who
take this approach, to be missed by the connect-the-dots questers. Are
you saying it's wrong to encourage random exploration?

Doesn't even ahve to be treasure. Could be a hermit in the woods. Could
be some unusual feature of the land. Exploration is SUPPOSED to inspire
wonder, or have you forgotten why people explored (in real life) in the
first place. To see what's out there.

If they didn't believe there was, if they didn't even hope that there
was, they'd have stayed at home in bed, as the saying goes.

>>>sense of a properly vast wilderness for adventuring in. Maybe its my
>>>D&D
>>>roots, but I enjoy the "Stock up in towns, go forth to explore, slay and
>>>amass treasure, then return to town to resupply / upgrade gear etc."
>
>>I think you have some odd D&D roots, then. In my mind, what made a
>>strong
>>D&D'ing experience was an intelligent and creative DM along with a
>>challenging, interactive, and adaptive gameworld.
>
> But you are the one who asserts that movement within the gaming world that
> does not immediately further the game plot is without value. To me this
> prevents an intelligent and creative game world. This perhaps explains your
> fascination with Diablo (left click continuously until complete victory).

Again, how did the Heroes' Hole, which I named, or the tower in the Deep
Forest in U7, which 'Phid named, further the plot?

> No, I miss the unscripted days of the early Ultimas. Victory was but a
> side-element to the game then. Travel, adventure, exploration - it was all
> permissible. That spirit of adventure was finally quenched with Ultima
> VII-part 2, "Connect The Dots"
>
> I have a feeling, re-reading posts here that the majority of the
> participants are younger than me, and therefore Later-Day-Ultima fans - -
> never having cut their teeth in the groundbreaking Ultima days.
>
> We are a dying breed, us old-timers.
>
> Let's hear it for the days of Zip-Loc baggies and the Photocopied
> Instructions!!
>
> Hear, Hear!!!

Oh, I've nothing against the elder titles - although I'm not old enough
for the ziploc-baggie games, myself. I'm just saying that change isn't a
bad thing.

Old-school gamers have a saying. "Graphics don't matter."

I wholeheartedly agree. They don't. I like Ultima 1, with its
stick-figure graphics. I like Ultima 6, with its sprite graphics. I like
modern console RPGs, with their 3D graphics. I do not like the games
because of the graphics, though. I like the games because of the GAMES.

In my mind, "graphics don't matter" works both ways. Those who use the
saying, then shy away from 3D games, are missing the point.

In any event, time waits for no gamer. They won't make EGA games
anymore. Might as well ask for a proper B&W silent movie, or for them to
provide 8-track releases for all the popular hits these days.

Can't stop progress.... but progress isn't bad. You don't have to let go
of the old to enjoy the new. Plenty of room for everybody. Just last
fall, I played some 8-bit console titles, never mind that I had plenty
of PlayStation and PS2 games to my name.

To be honest, the only problem with being an "Omnischool" gamer is that
you run out of room to store all your games. *grins* (Especially if you
play both computer and console games.) Oh, one other problem.... it can
be rather demanding on the wallet. Especially when you haven't much
wallet to go around.

Sorry if I rambled a bit much... I've a lot to say on this topic.

-Lumina Dragon