Moving a hard drive

June 13, 2005 11:35:10 AM

I am trying to move an existing hardrive from a Pentium Celeron system to an
AMD system. When I move the drive and try to boot, the system goes only so
far, then shuts down, and reboots. I have tried booting in safe mode but
still have the same problem.

Can anypone help with this? I have too much data on the existing drive so I
don't want to format the drive and re-install.
--
Jim

More about : moving hard drive

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:31:01 PM

If XP came preinstalled on the first system there is a possibility that it
was BIOS locked. Some OEMs do this. Therefore you can't move the hard drive
to a completely different system and retain the setup.

OEM versions of XP are bound to the first system they are install on. Some
are BIOS locked and some are not. OEM versions that are not BIOS locked can
not legally be installed on another system. That is by agreement between the
vender and Microsoft. If your version of XP came with your Celeron system
then it may very well be an OEM version (it should say so on the CD) and as
such you are not legally allow to use it to run a Repair Install on a
different computer.

However if your copy of XP is a retail version then boot the AMD system with
the XP CD and select the option to Install Windows (not use the Recovery
Console). Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8. At this point you
should see a message that Windows is searching for a previous installation.
If it finds one then you will see a screen that asks if you want to attempt
to repair the current installation. At this time press "R" to repair and
setup should run with the end result being that a new HAL (hardware
abstraction layer) will be built and your system should be up and running
without data loss. You will have to reinstall Windows Updates and Service
Packs again though. See How To Run A Repair Install

If you need to purchase a retail version make certain it is the same
version, either Home or Pro, that you want to repair.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Jim" <jwhorton@sealco.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to move an existing hardrive from a Pentium Celeron system to
an
> AMD system. When I move the drive and try to boot, the system goes only so
> far, then shuts down, and reboots. I have tried booting in safe mode but
> still have the same problem.
>
> Can anypone help with this? I have too much data on the existing drive so
> don't want to format the drive and re-install.
> --
> Jim
June 13, 2005 1:43:08 PM

You will probably have to do a repair installation to get windows to work
with the new hardware.

"Jim" <jwhorton@sealco.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to move an existing hardrive from a Pentium Celeron system to
>an
> AMD system. When I move the drive and try to boot, the system goes only so
> far, then shuts down, and reboots. I have tried booting in safe mode but
> still have the same problem.
>
> Can anypone help with this? I have too much data on the existing drive so
> don't want to format the drive and re-install.
> --
> Jim
June 13, 2005 2:10:06 PM

In news:19828376-567B-4AC9-92EC-D8C82BC3B9B3@microsoft.com,
Jim <jwhorton@sealco.com> typed:

> I am trying to move an existing hardrive from a Pentium Celeron
> system to an AMD system. When I move the drive and try to boot,
> the
> system goes only so far, then shuts down, and reboots. I have
> tried
> booting in safe mode but still have the same problem.
>
> Can anypone help with this? I have too much data on the
> existing
> drive so I don't want to format the drive and re-install.

You can't just move a drive to a different computer and expect it
to boot. At the very least, you will need to do a repair
installation.

Read "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install" at

Worst case, however, you *may* have to reformat and do a clean
installation. If that's the case, you'll need to first copy off
all the data you need.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 10:28:26 PM

Jim:

It sounds like the new system has a problem other than the hard drive?
Can you boot the hard drive in the old computer still? Will the new
system boot and say hard drive not found?

With the systems being so different you will need to do a repair
install at the least if you can get it to work at all. However the
system should not reboot? You may also want to look at the
Master/Slave vs Cable select settings whichever one you have set try
the other ;)

Wayne

Jim wrote:

> I am trying to move an existing hardrive from a Pentium Celeron
> system to an AMD system. When I move the drive and try to boot, the
> system goes only so far, then shuts down, and reboots. I have tried
> booting in safe mode but still have the same problem.
>
> Can anypone help with this? I have too much data on the existing
> drive so I don't want to format the drive and re-install.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 10:36:48 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:31:01 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca>
wrote:

>... boot the AMD system with
>the XP CD and select the option to Install Windows (not use the Recovery
>Console).

MS should fix their prompts for those options. The 'Recovery' part
throws everyone off.

>...At this point you
>should see a message that Windows is searching for a previous installation.
>If it finds one then you will see a screen that asks if you want to attempt
>to repair the current installation. At this time press "R" to repair and
>setup should run with the end result being that a new HAL (hardware
>abstraction layer) will be built and your system should be up and running
>without data loss.

Good timing on this thread. I was just going to upgrade a system to a
faster Asus motherboard. The current system drive is imaged, etc.,
but I still hate to waste time reloading if anything goes wrong. In
the past, minor upgrades have been easy, but this time XP will indeed
need to load a new HAL, as this system is moving from an older
Northwood to a multithreaded processor (still Northwood. Prescotts
don't seem effective). Normally I'd reformat and start from scratch,
but there are too many programs, plugins, etc. I was wondering how
well XP's repair would deal with the multithreaded CPU.

>You will have to reinstall Windows Updates and Service
>Packs again though. See How To Run A Repair Install
>http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

I'm still avoiding SP2. I have heard rumors that at some point, MS is
going to 'enforce' SP2 in the updates process. Not sure exactly what
that means, but I'd hate to sift thru updates, trying to weed out
SP2-specific stuff. I don't know if there's a simple way to deal
with this.

------

For the OP:

It also bears mentioning that the original XP install CD could not
deal with partitions over 137GB. I don't know why anyone would create
that large a system partition, but it happens. In that case, the
original XP install CD's file system will fail. The way around it is
to 'slipstream' service pack 1 into the install CD to create a new
install CD. This depends on how old your XP installation CD is.

But I recommend keeping C: partitions small. I haven't seen a system
yet that can't get by with 30GB or so as a C: drive. Usually 20GB is
enough. That way, imaging the C drive (for backup) doesn't use a huge
chunk of your backup drive, and you can do incremental backups on your
data partition. Nothing lost if you create a C: partition that's a
bit larger than 20GB; imaging software will only create a file from
used space. Still, you want to keep programs, not data, on the C:
partition.

Another benefit that's not mentioned often: I always turn off
'restore' on the data drives. Usually when you want to revert to a
previous restore point, you don't want to delete all the data you've
saved up to that point. If you don't turn 'restore' off on the data
drive(s) that's exactly what will happen. Of course you want to leave
it turned on for the C: drive, so if your data is on C:, yer outa
luck.

To access system restore, r-click on 'my computer' and go to
'properties.' You'll see the tab.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:47:17 AM

"Jim" <jwhorton@sealco.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to move an existing hardrive from a Pentium Celeron system to
an
> AMD system. When I move the drive and try to boot, the system goes only so
> far, then shuts down, and reboots. I have tried booting in safe mode but
> still have the same problem.
>
> Can anypone help with this? I have too much data on the existing drive so
> don't want to format the drive and re-install.
> --
> Jim

Here are a few links that explain how to port WinXP to different hardware:
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q249694
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314082
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341

Your remark " I have too much data on the existing drive so I
don't want to format the drive and re-install." points to a disaster
waiting to happen. Sooner or later something will go wrong on
your machine, causing you to lose the lot. At that stage you might
ask yourself why you did not invest a small amount of money in
an external hard disk inside a USB enclosure, used weekly for
backup purposes. It comes back to this truism: If your data is
important, back it up. If you don't back it up then it is not
important (because you don't mind losing it).
!