Unknown program changes Windows color scheme

This ones weird (aren't they all)...

Some unknown application is running which causes the Taskbar and window
buttons to appear with a mottled green and gray pattern.

Changing Windows desktop themes and colors can reset the colors, but
then when I start a new application, the screen goes black (indicating
the display settings are changing), then comes back with the mottled
pattern.

I have used various tools to try diagnose what the culprit application
is to no avail. I'm sure its some dumb thing my daughter downloaded
knowingly or knowingly.

I've used msconfig to stop some programs from loading that I thought
would be the cause, but that didn't work.

Any one have any ideas?

Joe

Malke

joe_kohn@hotmail.com wrote:

> This ones weird (aren't they all)...
>
> Some unknown application is running which causes the Taskbar and
> window buttons to appear with a mottled green and gray pattern.
>
> Changing Windows desktop themes and colors can reset the colors, but
> then when I start a new application, the screen goes black (indicating
> the display settings are changing), then comes back with the mottled
> pattern.
>
> I have used various tools to try diagnose what the culprit application
> is to no avail. I'm sure its some dumb thing my daughter downloaded
> knowingly or knowingly.
>
> I've used msconfig to stop some programs from loading that I thought
> would be the cause, but that didn't work.
>
> Any one have any ideas?
>
> Joe

Obviously you have some program running that is doing this. You have to
use msconfig to find out what it is. You said you did, but it didn't
solve the issue. Things to try:

1. Post the applications and processes list that are running from
msconfig and I'll take a look for you.

2. Ask your daughter what she downloaded.

3. Try a System Restore to before the problem occurred if it was very
recent.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Malke:

Here is what is in the msconfig Start tab (all have .exe extensions):

1. fmstji Sys32
2. vs1DDh Temp
3. SNDMon
4. qttask Quicktime
5. msnappan.exe MSN
6. mcsysconfig ???
7. LXSUPMON
8. aclui346 Sys32
9. ccApp Symantec
10. ADVCHK Norton
11. DirectCD Easy CD Creator
12. a3d92782 Sys32
13. Rydo84km Sys32
14. 1yTs4Mn Temp
15. dumprep No extension
16. SYSSWK~1 SypSweeper
17. WKDeteck MS Works
18. ypager Yahoo Messenger

Number 12,13, and 14 are certainly suspect. Any ideas.

Joe

kelly

Not knowing what the rest of thread read:

Clean your system. Once done run the edit on line 157:

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

<joe_kohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Malke:
>
> Here is what is in the msconfig Start tab (all have .exe extensions):
>
> 1. fmstji Sys32
> 2. vs1DDh Temp
> 3. SNDMon
> 4. qttask Quicktime
> 5. msnappan.exe MSN
> 6. mcsysconfig ???
> 7. LXSUPMON
> 8. aclui346 Sys32
> 9. ccApp Symantec
> 10. ADVCHK Norton
> 11. DirectCD Easy CD Creator
> 12. a3d92782 Sys32
> 13. Rydo84km Sys32
> 14. 1yTs4Mn Temp
> 15. dumprep No extension
> 16. SYSSWK~1 SypSweeper
> 17. WKDeteck MS Works
> 18. ypager Yahoo Messenger
>
> Number 12,13, and 14 are certainly suspect. Any ideas.
>
> Joe

Malke

joe_kohn@hotmail.com wrote:
> Malke:
>
> Here is what is in the msconfig Start tab (all have .exe extensions):
>
> 1. fmstji Sys32
> 2. vs1DDh Temp
> 3. SNDMon
> 4. qttask Quicktime
> 5. msnappan.exe MSN
> 6. mcsysconfig ???
> 7. LXSUPMON
> 8. aclui346 Sys32
> 9. ccApp Symantec
> 10. ADVCHK Norton
> 11. DirectCD Easy CD Creator
> 12. a3d92782 Sys32
> 13. Rydo84km Sys32
> 14. 1yTs4Mn Temp
> 15. dumprep No extension
> 16. SYSSWK~1 SypSweeper
> 17. WKDeteck MS Works
> 18. ypager Yahoo Messenger
>
> Number 12,13, and 14 are certainly suspect. Any ideas.
>
> Joe

Hi, Joe. You've got plenty of malware on your system. As Kelly said,
clean up your system first. Go through these general malware removal
steps systematically. It is crucial that you do everything with updated
tools in Safe Mode.

First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. Then follow these detailed
malware removal steps, doing everything with updated tools in Safe Mode.
You can find all the links to referenced programs and sites on my
website here:

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
antivirus using updated definitions.

Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
below.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not install
the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See the links on my
website for a HijackThis tutorial and places where you can post your HJT
log. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get help with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the Restore
Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely. With XP,
you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore
point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Malke