inenewbl

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005

Hi all. I format and reinstall my laptop with my other windows xp cd instead
of the recovery disk provided by my manufacturer. However i have a small
problem with dial up modem. The device manager state that dial up modem is
ok, however i could not create a dialup connection via network connections as
i am stuck at selecting dial up connection or virtual private network
connection. These 2 options are disabled and i cannot select any of them.
Hence does it mean that windows assign a wrong driver for my dial up modem
and i need to find another proper driver?

Bobby

The correct driver is most likely on the manufactures disc. You could always
obtain the correct one from the manufactures website of the pc/model you
have.

Why wouldn't you use the correct cd to reinstall?

"inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I format and reinstall my laptop with my other windows xp cd
> instead
> of the recovery disk provided by my manufacturer. However i have a small
> problem with dial up modem. The device manager state that dial up modem is
> ok, however i could not create a dialup connection via network connections
> as
> i am stuck at selecting dial up connection or virtual private network
> connection. These 2 options are disabled and i cannot select any of them.
> Hence does it mean that windows assign a wrong driver for my dial up modem
> and i need to find another proper driver?

There are a number of reasons why you might be having issues.
First, if you use the Modems applet in Control Panel (Classic)
can you use the Diagnostics/Query Modem function to test the
modem ?
Also, modem use is dependant on the Telephony service. It also
has a number of dependency group services that must be active.
You should check your System Event log and look for Red icons
that denote errors. Double-Click each to examine the details on
the event (ID# and brief description).
Also if your PC has a NIC (Network Interface Card) and you
do not have a Network, you may want to disable the NIC in
Device Manager so XP will not "Think" it can access the Internet
using an Ethernet connection.
Finally, All modems have an on-board, dedicated Serial or COM
port. If your BIOS setup is using defaults you may have 1 or 2
motherboard Serial ports enabled that can conflict with the modem.
Usually, a modem will take COM Port #3 and this can conflict
with the Motherboard COM Port #1.

"Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The correct driver is most likely on the manufactures disc. You could
> always obtain the correct one from the manufactures website of the
> pc/model you have.
>
> Why wouldn't you use the correct cd to reinstall?
>

> "inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all. I format and reinstall my laptop with my other windows xp cd
>> instead
>> of the recovery disk provided by my manufacturer. However i have a small
>> problem with dial up modem. The device manager state that dial up modem
>> is
>> ok, however i could not create a dialup connection via network
>> connections as
>> i am stuck at selecting dial up connection or virtual private network
>> connection. These 2 options are disabled and i cannot select any of them.
>> Hence does it mean that windows assign a wrong driver for my dial up
>> modem
>> and i need to find another proper driver?

how do i access the bios to check this?
--
TRYING HARD

"inenewbl" wrote:

> Hi all. I format and reinstall my laptop with my other windows xp cd instead
> of the recovery disk provided by my manufacturer. However i have a small
> problem with dial up modem. The device manager state that dial up modem is
> ok, however i could not create a dialup connection via network connections as
> i am stuck at selecting dial up connection or virtual private network
> connection. These 2 options are disabled and i cannot select any of them.
> Hence does it mean that windows assign a wrong driver for my dial up modem
> and i need to find another proper driver?

Malke

DEBQBEE55 wrote:

> how do i access the bios to check this?

I don't think you want to access the BIOS. Go to the OEM's website for
your specific computer model and download the proper drivers for the
modem. Obviously you'll need to do this on a different computer with a
working Internet connection and either a cd burner or have a large
enough usb thumb drive with which to transfer the drivers to your own
computer.

Then uninstall your modem and reboot. Install the drivers you got from
the OEM.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers