Type: Application
From: p:/ (this is the server drive)
This type of file could harm your computer if it contains malicious code.
Woudl you like to open the file or save it to your computer.
The only options I have are to open, cancel, more info. Also the Always ask
before opening this type of file is checked and greyed out.

This started after the client was cleaning their keyboard, so I they no know
what buttons they pressed or what they changed. How can I get rid of this
warning when opening files on the server?

Scott wrote:
> I have a client that started to receive a warning whenever the open a
> shortcut that points to a .exe on the server. The warning says:
> Some files can harm your computer. If the file information below
> looks suspicious, or you do not fully trust the souce, do not open or
> save this file.
> File name: app.exe
> Type: Application
> From: p:/ (this is the server drive)
> This type of file could harm your computer if it contains malicious
> code. Woudl you like to open the file or save it to your computer.
> The only options I have are to open, cancel, more info. Also the
> Always ask before opening this type of file is checked and greyed out.
>
> This started after the client was cleaning their keyboard, so I they
> no know what buttons they pressed or what they changed. How can I
> get rid of this warning when opening files on the server?

hahah - they told you this started when they were cleaning the keyboard?
My bet is that it always happened, they just haven't been opening EXEs or
they are looking for a way to say "Not my fault."

"Internet Explorer" --> "Tools" --> "Internet Options" --> "Security"
tab --> "Local Intranet" --> "Sites" button --> "Advanced" --> add the
server's domain name *.my.domain.com and OK your way out.

This can also be done by group policy *if* everyone is on a domain.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Scott

The client says that they still have the same problem after I added
*.domain.local to the Local Intranet sites. Any other suggestions?