Cooling Gets Creative

Status
Not open for further replies.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Lol, is the last picture an OEM coolermaster with the sticker ripped off? If I'm not mistaken, they came in alot of branded 754 machines at the time.

Asinger93

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]08nwsula[/nom]don't bother going to the submerged computer link, all the video links are 404[/citation]
I didn't get that. I saw them fine.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Very lame -- come on guys! This is THG - there are some sites that have some really good stuff. You could have done better!

i am big supporter here but this lame!

You want dual triple loop with phase? or hybird water tech?

that is real exotic cooling

come on guys!

thx! i love the site but.....

Asinger93

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]dragonsprayer[/nom]Very lame -- come on guys! This is THG - there are some sites that have some really good stuff. You could have done better!i am big supporter here but this lame!You want dual triple loop with phase? or hybird water tech?that is real exotic coolingcome on guys!thx! i love the site but.....[/citation]
... it's water cooling. it's not supposed to be exciting. By the way, it's not THG. It's THW.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]dragonsprayer[/nom]Very lame -- come on guys! This is THG - there are some sites that have some really good stuff. You could have done better!i am big supporter here but this lame!You want dual triple loop with phase? or hybird water tech?that is real exotic coolingcome on guys!thx! i love the site but.....[/citation]

Thanks for the feedback Dragon--I think Tuan's idea here was more about casual weekend reading. Don't worry, come Monday, we'll be back to the usual editorial stuff! Coming up: a walk down memory lane with 16 years of Intel motherboards =)

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008

Heya dragonsprayer -

Actually, I just wanted to show everyone some of the cool setups I bumped into while browsing the web, just to kick start some ideas for those who may be tempted to try out some exrteme cooling for themselves.

Gotta start somewhere right? No worries though. I'm going to do a follow up with some really insane stuff. :)

/ Tuan

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Thanks for the feedback Dragon--I think Tuan's idea here was more about casual weekend reading. Don't worry, come Monday, we'll be back to the usual editorial stuff! Coming up: a walk down memory lane with 16 years of Intel motherboards =)[/citation]
that would be AWESOME. i'm reading that.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
this was a nice read, i keep tellin myself to get a new case cause my transformer is so loud and big.. gets annoying haling it to lan partys when everyone there has their nice efficient antec 900s and whatnot

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]terrornoize[/nom]"May we suggest some cable management"i suggest you to choose another photo when works is done... Hi,TerrorNoize[/citation]

Woah! Heya TerrorNoize :)

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
AS far AS THG: type THG and this is the second one - http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS309US309&q=THG

thx! guys!

there are some really cool hybird cooling systems, and multi loop systems - phase cooling and water cooling - with the phase cooling parts removed from a vapor chill and place in one of the few cases that fit them a lian li - tech and water hybrid cooling with seperate loop for gpu's.

THG rocks!

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]terrornoize[/nom]"May we suggest some cable management"i suggest you to choose another photo when works is done... Hi,TerrorNoize[/citation]

I updated the page talking about your build and linked to your Stage 5 gallery of your project on Flickr. I think you did an awesome job on it really. :)

/ Tuan

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Normally i just say something like ts junk(why mix words!), reserator is good if you strip all the bad parts off (which means you only use the heat sink) and use it - used ones - can be converted they make nice conversation pieces for HTPC!

still its not exotic

new i7 runs hot benfits more from water cooling, but there is little head room above the 150w spec - so water cooling may benfit the next generation.

as always gpu's really are the main benefactor of water cooling - cpu's with tec's in hybird cooling give only a small performance boost. vs water cooling or even good air cooling.
i7 can run 1.38-1.4v (dual fan set up on TRUE or XIG) with a good air cooling and 1.45v is really what i would consider safe for long term use so water cooling allows you to go over the 1.4v barrier - know if you want to play around with 1.5-1.65v on your $300 i7 you might have some fun with hybrid (tec and water) cooling.

seperate loop for the cpu, with heat blown off by the top radiator - then into the tec give some nice 40 f water - crank up your i7 to 1.5v - thats borderline safe might get you 4.4ghz stable

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Tuan,Check this out:http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/11 [...] evable-ex/Project Monolith[/citation]

Shadow703793 -

Thanks so much for the tip. That's an awesome system. I've updated the article, gave you a shoutout for the tip and featured a few pictures to rainwulf's system. Incredible!

Thanks again / Tuan

v12v12

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Unfortunately whoever de(mis)signed that cooling loop knows little about what they are doing. 90° bends KILL flow. Unless he's running an industrial pump with a huge head rating (usually more important that max unrestricted flow), it's going to be no more effective than a simple Heatpipe HSF. Bends, 90°, small diameter tubing etc = all lead to slow flow, a stressed pump = loud as heck. It's a work of "art," at best, uber high maintenance with LEAK potential, and bacterial infection of the water (if he's not using a pre-mix or bactericidal).

Trust me, when it comes down to water cooling Vs Air = Water will win ONLY when you KISS it: Keep It Simple Stupid! Bends and shit and fancy connections and all that crap = eye candy = underperforms Vs high end Air, or a less complex flow path design. Nice looking, performs like mid-level air at best. And prob is a BISH to drain/bleed properly.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]Lol, is the last picture an OEM coolermaster with the sticker ripped off? If I'm not mistaken, they came in alot of branded 754 machines at the time.[/citation]

Thats for AMD sockets, looks more like the stock cooler for the Athlon 64's, or X2's

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
when the rig on picture 24 turned on, must be sounded like a loud vacuum cleaner running on full speed!!! that's insane!! hahahahaha!
btw, great reading Tuan Nguyen!

Status
Not open for further replies.