Solid product, inept user

gareis

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2003
I've recently cobbled together my first computer. (+100 geek points.) There's one problem with it. I've gotten the sound card to work, ranted at a store employee because I couldn't figure out how to mount my motherboard in the case, packed away a couple of cold cathode tubes until I get a plexiglass window, and there's one thing left.

Games.

Well, of course. The problem is, I need a video card driver to play games, and it's on a disk that my computer refuses to read. I think it automatically scans disks for drivers and if it finds any, it does not recognize the fact that there is a disk in the drive.

I would simply download the appropriate driver from the ATi website, but I haven't been able to make my modem work (driver CD again; yeah, I know, download the driver from the website, har har) and don't have a network connection for a while longer. Besides, rather than a workaround, I would like a true solution. I can't help but think it's some simple GIGO error. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Athlon 2800
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro
Biostar M7NCD mobo
512MB PC2700 RAM
I need an upgrade already

sturm

Splendid
Will it not read any cd or just the ati cd-rom.
If you know someone with a burner and fast internet have them download the drivers, burn to cd, then install. Now if it wont read any cds, which isnt the case since you install the os, then Im out of suggestions.

gareis

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2003
It's just a small number of CDs. I've ensured that it isn't something as stupid as putting a DVD in a CD-ROM drive (though I thought I ordered a DVD drive; must be mistaken) by running it through an ancient computer; no good.

I suppose I'll wait a couple of weeks and get the drivers when I return to uni and my ultrafast connection. I was hoping it was something as simple as, for instance, inserting the IDE cable backwards, but no luck, apparently. No matter; I'll just replace it.

<i>Athlon 2800
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro
Biostar M7NCD mobo
512MB PC2700 RAM
I need an upgrade already</i>

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Is it an Ati CD or one you burned yourself?

A few CD burning programs (*cough cough Win XP cough*) burn CDs so poorly that sometimes the disk can't be recognized.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

gareis

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2003
No, it's the Sapphire CD that came with the retail box. I guess I'll just capitulate and replace it.

<i>Athlon 2800
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro
Biostar M7NCD mobo
512MB PC2700 RAM
I need an upgrade already</i>