Sign in with
Your question

I have a Gateway 400 laptop with a power up problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
October 18, 2007 12:51:35 AM

I have a Gateway 400 laptop with a power up problem
Gateway did some work under the extended warranty (which expired after they received it but before they sent it back) (the work involved the video card, which would freeze up after several hours use) they sent it back (supposedly repaired for the second time) and indicated that the battery was bad…
When it was first returned the computer did boot, when connected to the power supply, and the battery charging light would come on, but the battery would not take a charge. Got a replacement battery but that would not take a charge either. I’ve tried a different power supply with the same lack of a result. Now the laptop will not boot with either battery in place (or without a battery either) or using either power supply. (The battery charging light will still come on if either battery is in place.
Now I know it is possible that all of these components are bad and everything would work fine with a new battery and power supply etc. Alternatively, it might simply be a bad on off switch etc. or something else simple. However, with the age of the computer, the need to buy a new battery etc, it is probably not worth having it repaired by a professional. Then if it were essentially “junk” then it really wouldn’t hurt much if I tried to repair it myself. SUGGESTIONS?
October 20, 2007 9:24:10 PM

Most times, problems like this are AC adapter related. I had a similar problem but it was on a Dell Inspiron 8100. Turned out the DC power board was bad. I tore it down and repaired it myself. You can check the power button board, but I doubt thats your problem.

Ask Gateway to repair it since your problem is a result of their work while it was still under warranty. It never hurts to ask. If they refuse, tear it down yourself and experiment. I took my multimeter and tested to see that I was getting power everywhere, starting with the input jack and going all the way down to the DC power board...cleaning and reseating all components as I went.

Gateway should have a support section with manuals for tearing down that model....check it out and Good Luck.
!