windows media player

hello,

two things about it:

1. For audio files, I use Coolplayer and I had all MP3s (and supported
formats) set to Coolplayer. Now, after using Windows Media Player
once, all those file types are set to Media Player again. How can I
suppress that?

2. Is there a good video player which supports the same range of
formats but freely available?

I would be grateful for some help.

Claus

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:00:48 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>hello,
>
>two things about it:
>
>1. For audio files, I use Coolplayer and I had all MP3s (and supported
>formats) set to Coolplayer. Now, after using Windows Media Player
>once, all those file types are set to Media Player again. How can I
>suppress that?

Don't use WMP?

>2. Is there a good video player which supports the same range of
>formats but freely available?

I still like Media Player Classic. You can specify which formats for it
to use.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Dreaming Polychromic woke me up by screaming

>>1. For audio files, I use Coolplayer and I had all MP3s (and supported
>>formats) set to Coolplayer. Now, after using Windows Media Player
>>once, all those file types are set to Media Player again. How can I
>>suppress that?
>
> Don't use WMP?

that and in the settings you can set it to not set file types on it.

--
Dominus Dragon -=UDIC=- aka Dominik Reichardt (Remove NOSPAM to mail)
My homepage with funny content :) http://Beam.To/Dominik/

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:43:40 GMT, Dominus Dragon <lookin@the.header>
wrote:

>Dreaming Polychromic woke me up by screaming
>
>>>1. For audio files, I use Coolplayer and I had all MP3s (and supported
>>>formats) set to Coolplayer. Now, after using Windows Media Player
>>>once, all those file types are set to Media Player again. How can I
>>>suppress that?
>>
>> Don't use WMP?
>
>that and in the settings you can set it to not set file types on it.

I was going to check that but none of my machines currently have WMP
installed. It's one of those things I routinely uninstall.

--

Words to the wise, Dominus Dragon <lookin@the.header> wrote:

>> Don't use WMP?
>
>that and in the settings you can set it to not set file types on it.

Where? I seem unable to find it, that is why I was writing this in the
first place.

Words to the wise, Dominus Dragon <lookin@the.header> wrote:

>> Don't use WMP?
>
>that and in the settings you can set it to not set file types on it.

Oh, I have to be admin to see that tab ... right.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:30:53 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>Words to the wise, Dominus Dragon <lookin@the.header> wrote:
>
>>> Don't use WMP?
>>
>>that and in the settings you can set it to not set file types on it.
>
>Where? I seem unable to find it, that is why I was writing this in the
>first place.
If you're in XP, you can specify associations. On the Start menu go
to Set Program Access and Defaults , and pick your configuration and
specify away.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:15:28 GMT, Dominus Dragon <lookin@the.header>
wrote:

>You use it because of the codec? Use MediaPlayer Classic
>http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id
>and it will use the same codec as WMP (most video players on Windows will
>use the codec, btw)

The codecs I have installed are some free DivX 5 one, an Xvid one, and the
WMP9 codecs. Sometimes I install the Quicktime Alternative codecs. MPC
works fine with all of these. :)

--

I use Foobar 2000. http://www.foobar2000.org/

--
(/^/(_^^' | I like people - I just can't eat a whole one | `^^_)\^\)

> I use Foobar 2000. http://www.foobar2000.org/

Oh, nevermind. You said video player.

--

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:05:45 -0500, Lost Dragon <kulhain@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I use Foobar 2000. http://www.foobar2000.org/
>
>Oh, nevermind. You said video player.

Well, you could mention VideoLan. It's another free video player.
http://www.videolan.org/