File Associations

I have Microsoft Office (2003 Professional) installed, as well as OpenOffice.
When I installed openoffice, it associated all of the MS office extensions
with openoffice (.xls, .doc, etc...). Since this setup is going to be used
for a lab environment on many workstations, I want to associate all of the
..xls, .doc... extensions back with MS office.

I know I can goto Folder Options>File Extensions and find the extension and
then set it back to open with Word or Excel, however, this is time consuming
and not easily automated.

I would like to find a command line utility to change the association. I
have tried assoc .doc and it comes up with ".doc=Word.Document.8" and then
FTYPE Word.Document.8 and it comes up with the path to Microsoft word.
However, it is still 'open with' OpenOffice. I am thinking that maybe it
associates the extension with both word and openoffice, but openoffice is set
as the topmost recommended open with program.

Does anybody know the utility to change the "open with" from the command line?

Thansk for your help,
Jason Ryon

Rather reinstalling Office should be easy and should change this behavior
--
Jonybrv

"Jason Ryon" wrote:

> I have Microsoft Office (2003 Professional) installed, as well as OpenOffice.
> When I installed openoffice, it associated all of the MS office extensions
> with openoffice (.xls, .doc, etc...). Since this setup is going to be used
> for a lab environment on many workstations, I want to associate all of the
> .xls, .doc... extensions back with MS office.
>
> I know I can goto Folder Options>File Extensions and find the extension and
> then set it back to open with Word or Excel, however, this is time consuming
> and not easily automated.
>
> I would like to find a command line utility to change the association. I
> have tried assoc .doc and it comes up with ".doc=Word.Document.8" and then
> FTYPE Word.Document.8 and it comes up with the path to Microsoft word.
> However, it is still 'open with' OpenOffice. I am thinking that maybe it
> associates the extension with both word and openoffice, but openoffice is set
> as the topmost recommended open with program.
>
> Does anybody know the utility to change the "open with" from the command line?
>
> Thansk for your help,
> Jason Ryon

Why not use a simple .reg file to change HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc to be
"Word.Document.8" ?

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems