Beethoven string quartet, your favorite performer

Last response: in Video Games
June 30, 2005 4:32:39 AM

Hi, :-/

While I was trying to compile a copy of classical music favorites, I got a
nostalgic attack and want to find a particular Beethoven quartet that I
listened to when I was a kid. The cassette has been long lost, and I don't
quite remember to name of it. I searched for it, and found out it's String
Quartet Op. 132 in A-minor. Anybody here has a favorite Beethoven
orchestra? I don't know which CD I should buy, and I can't tell from the
recording quality from the music samples from Amazon (since they all get
down-sampled to save bandwidth).

I like the slower pace ones, btw. Beethoven's late quartets are supposed
to be melancholy and extremely romantic, not happy like Mozart's or Bach's
stuff. Some recordings have too much reverb. I like ones with good
accoustic and with lonelier voice (but still dynamic so it's more
Beethoven).

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

"Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, :-/
>
> While I was trying to compile a copy of classical music favorites, I got a
> nostalgic attack and want to find a particular Beethoven quartet that I
> listened to when I was a kid. The cassette has been long lost, and I
don't
> quite remember to name of it. I searched for it, and found out it's
String
> Quartet Op. 132 in A-minor. Anybody here has a favorite Beethoven
> orchestra? I don't know which CD I should buy, and I can't tell from the
> recording quality from the music samples from Amazon (since they all get
> down-sampled to save bandwidth).
>
> I like the slower pace ones, btw. Beethoven's late quartets are supposed
> to be melancholy and extremely romantic, not happy like Mozart's or Bach's
> stuff. Some recordings have too much reverb. I like ones with good
> accoustic and with lonelier voice (but still dynamic so it's more
> Beethoven).

I like Bach's "Toccata en Fugue" (The "minor" is minor detail (GDRRRF)).

--

Jonathan "The Cast" Comly
Anonymous

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 04:36:04 GMT, "BubbaDragon" <JBubbacComly@msn.com>
wrote:

>"Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, :-/
>>
>> While I was trying to compile a copy of classical music favorites, I got a
>> nostalgic attack and want to find a particular Beethoven quartet that I
>> listened to when I was a kid. The cassette has been long lost, and I
>don't
>> quite remember to name of it. I searched for it, and found out it's
>String
>> Quartet Op. 132 in A-minor. Anybody here has a favorite Beethoven
>> orchestra? I don't know which CD I should buy, and I can't tell from the
>> recording quality from the music samples from Amazon (since they all get
>> down-sampled to save bandwidth).
>>
>> I like the slower pace ones, btw. Beethoven's late quartets are supposed
>> to be melancholy and extremely romantic, not happy like Mozart's or Bach's
>> stuff. Some recordings have too much reverb. I like ones with good
>> accoustic and with lonelier voice (but still dynamic so it's more
>> Beethoven).
>>
>I like Bach's "Toccata en Fugue" (The "minor" is minor detail (GDRRRF)).
That was Bach? I thought it was by Emerson ,Lake and Palmer. :-P
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West
July 2, 2005 8:44:28 PM

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:54:15 +0200, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 04:36:04 GMT, "BubbaDragon" <JBubbacComly@msn.com>
> wrote:
>

>> "Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi, :-/
>>>
>>> While I was trying to compile a copy of classical music favorites, I
>>> got a
>>> nostalgic attack and want to find a particular Beethoven quartet that I
>>> listened to when I was a kid. The cassette has been long lost, and I
>> don't
>>> quite remember to name of it. I searched for it, and found out it's
>> String
>>> Quartet Op. 132 in A-minor. Anybody here has a favorite Beethoven
>>> orchestra? I don't know which CD I should buy, and I can't tell from
>>> the
>>> recording quality from the music samples from Amazon (since they all
>>> get
>>> down-sampled to save bandwidth).
>>>
>>> I like the slower pace ones, btw. Beethoven's late quartets are
>>> supposed
>>> to be melancholy and extremely romantic, not happy like Mozart's or
>>> Bach's
>>> stuff. Some recordings have too much reverb. I like ones with good
>>> accoustic and with lonelier voice (but still dynamic so it's more
>>> Beethoven).
>>>
>> I like Bach's "Toccata en Fugue" (The "minor" is minor detail (GDRRRF)).
> That was Bach? I thought it was by Emerson ,Lake and Palmer. :-P

I think Bach has a cover version. Only I can't remember if it's Johann
Sebastian or Offen.

--
(emerson, lake and ) pibbur
Anonymous

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:44:28 GMT, pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland>
wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:54:15 +0200, Optician Dragon
><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 04:36:04 GMT, "BubbaDragon" <JBubbacComly@msn.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> don't
>>> String

>>> I like Bach's "Toccata en Fugue" (The "minor" is minor detail (GDRRRF)).
>> That was Bach? I thought it was by Emerson ,Lake and Palmer. :-P
>
>I think Bach has a cover version. Only I can't remember if it's Johann
>Sebastian or Offen.
Or (Indy racing reference) Dallen?
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:42:15 AM

"BubbaDragon" <JBubbacComly@msn.com> wrote in message
news:D a55ic$akp$1@joesbox.cjb.net...

> I like Bach's "Toccata en Fugue" (The "minor" is minor detail
> (GDRRRF)).

Which one? BWV 540, 538 or 565? I think 565 is the most famous one.

Fugue in G minor BWV 578 is my personal favorite!

-Ophidian
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:36:51 PM

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:56:40 +0200, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:44:28 GMT, pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:54:15 +0200, Optician Dragon
>> <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> That was Bach? I thought it was by Emerson ,Lake and Palmer. :-P
>>
>> I think Bach has a cover version. Only I can't remember if it's Johann
>> Sebastian or Offen.
> Or (Indy racing reference) Dallen?

Or Ole Christian. Although as an artist he's more famous in the scam genre.

Some years ago he went to prison after a few finance operations, where
quite a number of high profiled investors lost quite a lot of money, even
though the prospects were very good. After being released from jail, he
started another set of finance operations. Very good prospects, but
unfortunately quite a lot of high profiled inverstors lost quite a lot of
money. Now he's suffering in his exile in Dubai, hiding from creditors
and the police, but not from the press.

BTW, on my search for Dallebach, I first googled for "Dallen Bach", and
the first match was this:

http://www.opticsexpress.org/abstract.cfm?URI=OPEX-11-1...

Nice, since my master's degree in computer science was about image
analysis in (electron) microscopy. Optician, how did you know?

--
pibbur - it's-been-a-week-since-I-mentioned-proof-reading - dragon
Anonymous

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:36:51 GMT, pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland>
wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:56:40 +0200, Optician Dragon
><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:44:28 GMT, pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland>
>> wrote:

>>> I think Bach has a cover version. Only I can't remember if it's Johann
>>> Sebastian or Offen.
>> Or (Indy racing reference) Dallen?
>
>Or Ole Christian. Although as an artist he's more famous in the scam genre.
>
>Some years ago he went to prison after a few finance operations, where
>quite a number of high profiled investors lost quite a lot of money, even
>though the prospects were very good. After being released from jail, he
>started another set of finance operations. Very good prospects, but
>unfortunately quite a lot of high profiled inverstors lost quite a lot of
>money. Now he's suffering in his exile in Dubai, hiding from creditors
>and the police, but not from the press.
>
>BTW, on my search for Dallebach, I first googled for "Dallen Bach", and
>the first match was this:
>
> http://www.opticsexpress.org/abstract.cfm?URI=OPEX-11-1...
>
>Nice, since my master's degree in computer science was about image
>analysis in (electron) microscopy. Optician, how did you know?
Just precognizant as usual...;-)
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:30:02 PM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:14:31 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:10:15 GMT, Optician Dragon
><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Just praecougnisant as usual...;-)
>
>Better spell that so he'll understand.

Also, in case you didn't see it on Slashdot:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/beethoven/downloads.shtml

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:10:15 GMT, Optician Dragon
><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Just praecougnisant as usual...;-)
>
>Better spell that so he'll understand.
You mean sou he can understand?
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:00:14 PM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:12:51 +0200, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:14:31 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:10:15 GMT, Optician Dragon
>> <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Just praecougnisant as usual...;-)
>>
>> Better spell that so he'll understand.
> You mean sou he can understand?

Understanding is not that hard. No matter how you write it, I translate
into norwegian. Then it all makes sense.

pibbur pibbur
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:14:53 AM

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
<snip>
> Also, in case you didn't see it on Slashdot:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/beethoven/downloads.shtml

Great. Though I was looking for Beethoven's late quartets, not
symphonies..., but it's a very informative page, and found some history
behind the late quartets I intend to buy.

And I didn't order the wrong CD on Amazon..., at least the Linsay String
Quartets version of the artist's work is also the one selected by BBC
radio. At least I can be assured it's one of the better versions outthere.

--
Ashikaga a27
!