Beethoven string quartet, your favorite performer

Hi, :-/

While I was trying to compile a copy of classical music favorites, I got a
nostalgic attack and want to find a particular Beethoven quartet that I
listened to when I was a kid. The cassette has been long lost, and I don't
quite remember to name of it. I searched for it, and found out it's String
Quartet Op. 132 in A-minor. Anybody here has a favorite Beethoven
orchestra? I don't know which CD I should buy, and I can't tell from the
recording quality from the music samples from Amazon (since they all get
down-sampled to save bandwidth).

I like the slower pace ones, btw. Beethoven's late quartets are supposed
to be melancholy and extremely romantic, not happy like Mozart's or Bach's
stuff. Some recordings have too much reverb. I like ones with good
accoustic and with lonelier voice (but still dynamic so it's more
Beethoven).

--
Ashikaga a27
12 answers Last reply

    "Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, :-/
    >
    > While I was trying to compile a copy of classical music favorites, I got a
    > nostalgic attack and want to find a particular Beethoven quartet that I
    > listened to when I was a kid. The cassette has been long lost, and I
    don't
    > quite remember to name of it. I searched for it, and found out it's
    String
    > Quartet Op. 132 in A-minor. Anybody here has a favorite Beethoven
    > orchestra? I don't know which CD I should buy, and I can't tell from the
    > recording quality from the music samples from Amazon (since they all get
    > down-sampled to save bandwidth).
    >
    > I like the slower pace ones, btw. Beethoven's late quartets are supposed
    > to be melancholy and extremely romantic, not happy like Mozart's or Bach's
    > stuff. Some recordings have too much reverb. I like ones with good
    > accoustic and with lonelier voice (but still dynamic so it's more
    > Beethoven).

    I like Bach's "Toccata en Fugue" (The "minor" is minor detail (GDRRRF)).

    --

    Jonathan "The Cast" Comly
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 04:36:04 GMT, "BubbaDragon" <JBubbacComly@msn.com>
    wrote:

    >"Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, :-/
    >>
    >> While I was trying to compile a copy of classical music favorites, I got a
    >> nostalgic attack and want to find a particular Beethoven quartet that I
    >> listened to when I was a kid. The cassette has been long lost, and I
    >don't
    >> quite remember to name of it. I searched for it, and found out it's
    >String
    >> Quartet Op. 132 in A-minor. Anybody here has a favorite Beethoven
    >> orchestra? I don't know which CD I should buy, and I can't tell from the
    >> recording quality from the music samples from Amazon (since they all get
    >> down-sampled to save bandwidth).
    >>
    >> I like the slower pace ones, btw. Beethoven's late quartets are supposed
    >> to be melancholy and extremely romantic, not happy like Mozart's or Bach's
    >> stuff. Some recordings have too much reverb. I like ones with good
    >> accoustic and with lonelier voice (but still dynamic so it's more
    >> Beethoven).
    >>
    >I like Bach's "Toccata en Fugue" (The "minor" is minor detail (GDRRRF)).
    That was Bach? I thought it was by Emerson ,Lake and Palmer. :-P
    -=UDIC=-
    Optician Dragon
    "That's the great thing about being dumb -
    You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
    -"Frog" from Best Of The West
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:54:15 +0200, Optician Dragon
    <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 04:36:04 GMT, "BubbaDragon" <JBubbacComly@msn.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> "Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, :-/
    >>>
    >>> While I was trying to compile a copy of classical music favorites, I
    >>> got a
    >>> nostalgic attack and want to find a particular Beethoven quartet that I
    >>> listened to when I was a kid. The cassette has been long lost, and I
    >> don't
    >>> quite remember to name of it. I searched for it, and found out it's
    >> String
    >>> Quartet Op. 132 in A-minor. Anybody here has a favorite Beethoven
    >>> orchestra? I don't know which CD I should buy, and I can't tell from
    >>> the
    >>> recording quality from the music samples from Amazon (since they all
    >>> get
    >>> down-sampled to save bandwidth).
    >>>
    >>> I like the slower pace ones, btw. Beethoven's late quartets are
    >>> supposed
    >>> to be melancholy and extremely romantic, not happy like Mozart's or
    >>> Bach's
    >>> stuff. Some recordings have too much reverb. I like ones with good
    >>> accoustic and with lonelier voice (but still dynamic so it's more
    >>> Beethoven).
    >>>
    >> I like Bach's "Toccata en Fugue" (The "minor" is minor detail (GDRRRF)).
    > That was Bach? I thought it was by Emerson ,Lake and Palmer. :-P

    I think Bach has a cover version. Only I can't remember if it's Johann
    Sebastian or Offen.

    --
    (emerson, lake and ) pibbur
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:44:28 GMT, pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:54:15 +0200, Optician Dragon
    ><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 04:36:04 GMT, "BubbaDragon" <JBubbacComly@msn.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> don't
    >>> String

    >>> I like Bach's "Toccata en Fugue" (The "minor" is minor detail (GDRRRF)).
    >> That was Bach? I thought it was by Emerson ,Lake and Palmer. :-P
    >
    >I think Bach has a cover version. Only I can't remember if it's Johann
    >Sebastian or Offen.
    Or (Indy racing reference) Dallen?
    -=UDIC=-
    Optician Dragon
    "That's the great thing about being dumb -
    You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
    -"Frog" from Best Of The West
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    "BubbaDragon" <JBubbacComly@msn.com> wrote in message

    > I like Bach's "Toccata en Fugue" (The "minor" is minor detail
    > (GDRRRF)).

    Which one? BWV 540, 538 or 565? I think 565 is the most famous one.

    Fugue in G minor BWV 578 is my personal favorite!

    -Ophidian
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:56:40 +0200, Optician Dragon
    <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:44:28 GMT, pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:54:15 +0200, Optician Dragon
    >> <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

    >>> That was Bach? I thought it was by Emerson ,Lake and Palmer. :-P
    >>
    >> I think Bach has a cover version. Only I can't remember if it's Johann
    >> Sebastian or Offen.
    > Or (Indy racing reference) Dallen?

    Or Ole Christian. Although as an artist he's more famous in the scam genre.

    Some years ago he went to prison after a few finance operations, where
    quite a number of high profiled investors lost quite a lot of money, even
    though the prospects were very good. After being released from jail, he
    started another set of finance operations. Very good prospects, but
    unfortunately quite a lot of high profiled inverstors lost quite a lot of
    money. Now he's suffering in his exile in Dubai, hiding from creditors
    and the police, but not from the press.

    BTW, on my search for Dallebach, I first googled for "Dallen Bach", and
    the first match was this:

    http://www.opticsexpress.org/abstract.cfm?URI=OPEX-11-12-1436

    Nice, since my master's degree in computer science was about image
    analysis in (electron) microscopy. Optician, how did you know?

    --
    pibbur - it's-been-a-week-since-I-mentioned-proof-reading - dragon
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:36:51 GMT, pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:56:40 +0200, Optician Dragon
    ><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:44:28 GMT, pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland>
    >> wrote:

    >>> I think Bach has a cover version. Only I can't remember if it's Johann
    >>> Sebastian or Offen.
    >> Or (Indy racing reference) Dallen?
    >
    >Or Ole Christian. Although as an artist he's more famous in the scam genre.
    >
    >Some years ago he went to prison after a few finance operations, where
    >quite a number of high profiled investors lost quite a lot of money, even
    >though the prospects were very good. After being released from jail, he
    >started another set of finance operations. Very good prospects, but
    >unfortunately quite a lot of high profiled inverstors lost quite a lot of
    >money. Now he's suffering in his exile in Dubai, hiding from creditors
    >and the police, but not from the press.
    >
    >BTW, on my search for Dallebach, I first googled for "Dallen Bach", and
    >the first match was this:
    >
    > http://www.opticsexpress.org/abstract.cfm?URI=OPEX-11-12-1436
    >
    >Nice, since my master's degree in computer science was about image
    >analysis in (electron) microscopy. Optician, how did you know?
    Just precognizant as usual...;-)
    -=UDIC=-
    Optician Dragon
    "That's the great thing about being dumb -
    You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
    -"Frog" from Best Of The West
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:10:15 GMT, Optician Dragon
    <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

    >Just praecougnisant as usual...;-)

    Better spell that so he'll understand.

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:14:31 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:10:15 GMT, Optician Dragon
    ><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Just praecougnisant as usual...;-)
    >
    >Better spell that so he'll understand.

    Also, in case you didn't see it on Slashdot:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/beethoven/downloads.shtml

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:10:15 GMT, Optician Dragon
    ><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Just praecougnisant as usual...;-)
    >
    >Better spell that so he'll understand.
    You mean sou he can understand?
    -=UDIC=-
    Optician Dragon
    "That's the great thing about being dumb -
    You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
    -"Frog" from Best Of The West
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:12:51 +0200, Optician Dragon
    <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

    > On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:14:31 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:10:15 GMT, Optician Dragon
    >> <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just praecougnisant as usual...;-)
    >>
    >> Better spell that so he'll understand.
    > You mean sou he can understand?

    Understanding is not that hard. No matter how you write it, I translate
    into norwegian. Then it all makes sense.

    pibbur pibbur
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Polychromic wrote:
    <snip>
    > Also, in case you didn't see it on Slashdot:
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/beethoven/downloads.shtml

    Great. Though I was looking for Beethoven's late quartets, not
    symphonies..., but it's a very informative page, and found some history
    behind the late quartets I intend to buy.

    And I didn't order the wrong CD on Amazon..., at least the Linsay String
    Quartets version of the artist's work is also the one selected by BBC
    radio. At least I can be assured it's one of the better versions outthere.

    --
    Ashikaga a27

Video Games