smoking habits

How many people smoke daily in the US and other countries? How has the
number of smokers changed in the last decades?

In Norway we have seen a significant reduction in the number of male
smokers, but a relative increase in the number of female smokers. There
are now more women smoking than men. Which is really bad, not only because
of the effects smoking has on fetuses, but also because smoking is very
likely more dangerus to women.

I was shocked when I (after 13 years absence from the medical profession)
started working at the x-ray department, to discover the number of lung
cancers in patients below the age of 40. And they were all, with few
exception women.

pibbur

More about smoking habits
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:44:54 GMT, pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland> wrote:

    >How many people smoke daily in the US and other countries? How has the
    >number of smokers changed in the last decades?
    >
    >In Norway we have seen a significant reduction in the number of male
    >smokers, but a relative increase in the number of female smokers. There
    >are now more women smoking than men. Which is really bad, not only because
    >of the effects smoking has on fetuses, but also because smoking is very
    >likely more dangerus to women.
    >
    >I was shocked when I (after 13 years absence from the medical profession)
    >started working at the x-ray department, to discover the number of lung
    >cancers in patients below the age of 40. And they were all, with few
    >exception women.
    >
    >pibbur

    My mother smoked as a youth but quit when she married my Dad (without his
    even asking.) Virtually no one smoked at the colleges I attended. Seems
    like there is a group in the High Schools that smokes (the honors
    students, the jocks, the smokers and potheads). I don't know anyone who
    smokes now. I used to charge extra when working on a smoker's computer
    but I figured why bother? Now, I just send them to a big box store.

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Words to the wise, pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland> wrote:

    >How many people smoke daily in the US and other countries? How has the
    >number of smokers changed in the last decades?
    >
    >In Norway we have seen a significant reduction in the number of male
    >smokers, but a relative increase in the number of female smokers. There
    >are now more women smoking than men. Which is really bad, not only because
    >of the effects smoking has on fetuses, but also because smoking is very
    >likely more dangerus to women.

    That is true everywhere I think. I got to know a chinese girl who
    started smoking because - at least she told it like that - it was you
    know not female to smoke and she didnt like to inhabit that cage of
    sexual prejudice.

    I think that is what many girls think although they are not uttering
    it in such a verbose way.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! pibbur wrote:
    > How many people smoke daily in the US and other countries? How has the
    > number of smokers changed in the last decades?
    >
    > In Norway we have seen a significant reduction in the number of male
    > smokers, but a relative increase in the number of female smokers. There
    > are now more women smoking than men. Which is really bad, not only because
    > of the effects smoking has on fetuses, but also because smoking is very
    > likely more dangerus to women.
    >
    > I was shocked when I (after 13 years absence from the medical profession)
    > started working at the x-ray department, to discover the number of lung
    > cancers in patients below the age of 40. And they were all, with few
    > exception women.

    This is California, and people don't smoke here. Usually it's people in
    high school and community college who are smokers. I think it's true that
    most people smoke because it's rebellious. Once nobody cares if they smoke
    or not, it's not "fun" to smoke anymore then they'll quit. It's not only
    for medical reason, but you can't go anywhere if you are a smoker. Most
    public places are non-smoking areas.

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Quoth pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland>:
    > And they were all, with few exception women.

    I'm afraid vanity is a factor. I'm /not/ saying this applies to all
    women, but some girls defintely take up smoking these days because they
    hear it's an appetite suppressant and they want to stay thin.
    Unfortunately, the rumours they hear fail to inform them about all the
    ways smoking can make you look /less/ attractive.

    HM Government is actually beginning an anti-smoking campaign with
    precisely that message, at the moment, but it'll be an uphill struggle.
    I believe the number of young women smokers is at its highest level for
    40 years or more.

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Pibbur Dragon the Righteous Superlative Retainer of Virtue wrote:
    >How many people smoke daily in the US and other countries? How has the
    >number of smokers changed in the last decades?

    If I remember rightly the trend in North America is as you described
    in Norway. Recently the number of female smokers has surpassed the
    number of male smokers. This is in part because of the reduction in
    the number of male smokers. In addition to the appetite suppressant
    factor, I think it has become socially more acceptable for woman to
    smoke in the sense that it was considered very unladylike until some
    time after WWII (IIRC).

    >In Norway we have seen a significant reduction in the number of male
    >smokers, but a relative increase in the number of female smokers. There
    >are now more women smoking than men. Which is really bad, not only because
    >of the effects smoking has on fetuses, but also because smoking is very
    >likely more dangerus to women.
    >I was shocked when I (after 13 years absence from the medical profession)
    >started working at the x-ray department, to discover the number of lung
    >cancers in patients below the age of 40. And they were all, with few
    >exception women.

    That is very unfortunate to hear.

    On the other hand smoking contributes to heart disease which IIRC
    tends to kill more men. Also smoking damages sperm cells increasing
    the mutation rate among them.

    Still fetal exposure to substances like nicotine is very bad.
    Apparently if exposed during a critical phase of development in may
    damage alter the brain in such a way as to prime it for nicotine
    dependence later in life (I belive there are experiments that show
    this happen in mice).
    --
    d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
    nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a26, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

Computers Video Games