Following Kim Kommando's advice, I typed in the above command in the command
line to make the unused portion of the hard drive more secure.

I get a message that says "access denied"

I am usiing the administratior acct.

What do I need to do?

Don

"Donald Shelton" <DonaldShelton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Following Kim Kommando's advice, I typed in the above command in the
> command
> line to make the unused portion of the hard drive more secure.
>
> I get a message that says "access denied"
>
> I am usiing the administratior acct.
>
> What do I need to do?
>
> Don

Try cipher /w:C:\ Note the trailing backslash. Don't know if this is the
cause or not.

Kerry

Thanks Kerry. However this doesn't help!! I still get the same "access
denied" message.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Donald Shelton" <DonaldShelton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Following Kim Kommando's advice, I typed in the above command in the
> > command
> > line to make the unused portion of the hard drive more secure.
> >
> > I get a message that says "access denied"
> >
> > I am usiing the administratior acct.
> >
> > What do I need to do?
> >
> > Don
>
> Try cipher /w:C:\ Note the trailing backslash. Don't know if this is the
> cause or not.
>
> Kerry

You'd be better off using Restoration.

This is free.

Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html

Description
[[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has another
function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files. You
can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files and
so on.]]
-----

[[Using /w

/w removes data from portions of the volume it can access and have not been
allocated to files or directories. It does not lock the drive, so other
programs can obtain space on the drive, which cipher cannot erase. Because
this option writes to a large portion of the hard volume, it might take a
long time to complete and should only be used when necessary.]]

cipher.exe help
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cipher.mspx

And/or type or paste this in a command prompt for cipher help...

cipher /?

HOW TO: Use Cipher.exe to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814599

http://komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=8837

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:AD5F2447-C0FD-40C7-A0FF-F0F1D952676D@microsoft.com,
Donald Shelton <DonaldShelton@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks Kerry. However this doesn't help!! I still get the same "access
> denied" message.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "Donald Shelton" <DonaldShelton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:F36B526E-8214-48FE-8690-94F26F0A2DE5@microsoft.com...
>>> Following Kim Kommando's advice, I typed in the above command in the
>>> command
>>> line to make the unused portion of the hard drive more secure.
>>>
>>> I get a message that says "access denied"
>>>
>>> I am usiing the administratior acct.
>>>
>>> What do I need to do?
>>>
>>> Don
>>
>> Try cipher /w:C:\ Note the trailing backslash. Don't know if this is the
>> cause or not.
>>
>> Kerry

Wes:

Unfortunately nothing has worked

I even tried this in safe mode--same result

Don

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> You'd be better off using Restoration.
>
> This is free.
>
> Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
>
> Description
> [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
> holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has another
> function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files. You
> can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files and
> so on.]]
> -----
>
> [[Using /w
>
> /w removes data from portions of the volume it can access and have not been
> allocated to files or directories. It does not lock the drive, so other
> programs can obtain space on the drive, which cipher cannot erase. Because
> this option writes to a large portion of the hard volume, it might take a
> long time to complete and should only be used when necessary.]]
>
> cipher.exe help
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cipher.mspx
>
> And/or type or paste this in a command prompt for cipher help...
>
> cipher /?
>
> HOW TO: Use Cipher.exe to Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814599
>

> http://komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=8837
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:AD5F2447-C0FD-40C7-A0FF-F0F1D952676D@microsoft.com,
> Donald Shelton <DonaldShelton@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Thanks Kerry. However this doesn't help!! I still get the same "access
> > denied" message.
> >
> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> "Donald Shelton" <DonaldShelton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:F36B526E-8214-48FE-8690-94F26F0A2DE5@microsoft.com...

> >> Try cipher /w:C:\ Note the trailing backslash. Don't know if this is the
> >> cause or not.
> >>
> >> Kerry

check point-
How to Use the Cipher Security Tool to Overwrite Deleted Data
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315672&sd=tech

Encrypting and Decrypting Files and Folders by Using the Cipher Command
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prnb_efs_prpr.asp

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> check point-
> How to Use the Cipher Security Tool to Overwrite Deleted Data
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315672&sd=tech
>

> Encrypting and Decrypting Files and Folders by Using the Cipher Command
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prnb_efs_prpr.asp
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP

I realise you are trying to help but did you read the OP and check the links
you posted? The second link has nothing that applies to the OP. The first
link tells the syntax of the /w switch but nothing that answers the OP. I am
also interested in the answer to the OP.

Kerry

> Donald Shelton wrote:
>> Following Kim Kommando's advice, I typed in the above command in the
>> command line to make the unused portion of the hard drive more secure.
>>
>> I get a message that says "access denied"
>>
>> I am usiing the administratior acct.
>>
>> What do I need to do?
>>
>> Don

I think you didn't have a closer look.The second link also tells the
syntax of the /w switch
Open the the second link,you will get a table where all tasks and
parameters for the Cipher command has been listed.Scroll down the table
you will find a last option:-"Display all of the options available
with cipher. /?"
If you open the command prompt window and put the above command what
does it show?Doesn't it show [/w ] option?
Before comment anything check it the whole thing.
"access denied" message may be due to various factors but he didn't
write in detail regarding other things,so I didn't mention that
aspect.In any case:
see:-
Encrypting File System in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/cryptfs.mspx

In the above article various possibilities mentioned as far as "access
denied" message is concerned.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

>I think you didn't have a closer look.The second link also tells the syntax
>of the /w switch
> Open the the second link,you will get a table where all tasks and
> parameters for the Cipher command has been listed.Scroll down the table
> you will find a last option:-"Display all of the options available with
> cipher. /?"
> If you open the command prompt window and put the above command what does
> it show?Doesn't it show [/w ] option?
> Before comment anything check it the whole thing.
> "access denied" message may be due to various factors but he didn't write
> in detail regarding other things,so I didn't mention that aspect.In any
> case:
> see:-
> Encrypting File System in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/cryptfs.mspx
>
> In the above article various possibilities mentioned as far as "access
> denied" message is concerned.
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP

Let me preface this by saying your help on these newsgroups is much
appreciated. You help a lot more people than I do. In this case it seemed
you just posted a couple of links without looking to see if they had any
bearing on the problem. The cipher /w command is very poorly documented. It
sometimes seems to fail with the "access denied" message. This, on the
surface, appears to have nothing to do with the other cipher switches and
why they sometimes receive that error. An exhaustive google search and
searching Microsoft gets some hits on the problem but no solution. The XP
documentation says:

/w removes data from portions of the volume it can access and have not been
allocated to files or directories. It does not lock the drive, so other
programs can obtain space on the drive, which cipher cannot erase. Because
this option writes to a large portion of the hard volume, it might take a
long time to complete and should only be used when necessary.

This seems to indicate that it doesn't actually access any files, only space
that has been de-allocated. If the space has been de-allocated why would
access be denied, especially logged in as administrator? I have tried to
duplicate the problem but have had no success. I have seen the problem on
one computer but was unable to solve it, thus my interest.

Kerry

> Kerry Brown wrote:
>> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>check point-
>>>How to Use the Cipher Security Tool to Overwrite Deleted Data
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315672&sd=tech
>>>

>>>Encrypting and Decrypting Files and Folders by Using the Cipher Command
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prnb_efs_prpr.asp
>>>
>>>regards,
>>>ssg MS-MVP
>>>

>> I realise you are trying to help but did you read the OP and check the
>> links you posted? The second link has nothing that applies to the OP. The
>> first link tells the syntax of the /w switch but nothing that answers the
>> OP. I am also interested in the answer to the OP.
>>
>> Kerry

I certainly appreciate your efforts in helping me to solve the problem

Currently I have asked numerous experts, but have not found a solution

Leave it to me to be the one with the unsolvable problem!!!

Don

>I certainly appreciate your efforts in helping me to solve the problem
>
> Currently I have asked numerous experts, but have not found a solution
>
> Leave it to me to be the one with the unsolvable problem!!!
>
> Don

Let us know if you find a fix. While I have seen the problem in the past I
can't duplicte it now.

Kerry

> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
>> >I think you didn't have a closer look.The second link also tells the
>> >syntax
>> >of the /w switch
>> > Open the the second link,you will get a table where all tasks and
>> > parameters for the Cipher command has been listed.Scroll down the table
>> > you will find a last option:-"Display all of the options available with
>> > cipher. /?"
>> > If you open the command prompt window and put the above command what
>> > does
>> > it show?Doesn't it show [/w ] option?
>> > Before comment anything check it the whole thing.
>> > "access denied" message may be due to various factors but he didn't
>> > write
>> > in detail regarding other things,so I didn't mention that aspect.In any
>> > case:
>> > see:-
>> > Encrypting File System in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/cryptfs.mspx
>> >
>> > In the above article various possibilities mentioned as far as "access
>> > denied" message is concerned.
>> >
>> > regards,
>> > ssg MS-MVP
>> >

>> Let me preface this by saying your help on these newsgroups is much
>> appreciated. You help a lot more people than I do. In this case it seemed
>> you just posted a couple of links without looking to see if they had any
>> bearing on the problem. The cipher /w command is very poorly documented.
>> It
>> sometimes seems to fail with the "access denied" message. This, on the
>> surface, appears to have nothing to do with the other cipher switches and
>> why they sometimes receive that error. An exhaustive google search and
>> searching Microsoft gets some hits on the problem but no solution. The XP
>> documentation says:
>>
>> /w removes data from portions of the volume it can access and have not
>> been
>> allocated to files or directories. It does not lock the drive, so other
>> programs can obtain space on the drive, which cipher cannot erase.
>> Because
>> this option writes to a large portion of the hard volume, it might take a
>> long time to complete and should only be used when necessary.
>>
>> This seems to indicate that it doesn't actually access any files, only
>> space
>> that has been de-allocated. If the space has been de-allocated why would
>> access be denied, especially logged in as administrator? I have tried to
>> duplicate the problem but have had no success. I have seen the problem on
>> one computer but was unable to solve it, thus my interest.
>>
>> Kerry

I most certainly will
Don