Need Opinion .. Old audio guy going 5.1

Last response: in Home Audio
June 12, 2005 8:26:10 PM

I have been an Audio guy for years, but recently with the addition of a Sony
Grand Wega HDTV, I am turning to the home theater scene. Unfortunately I do
not have the budget I use to have, so I would like to use some of the more
quality components I already have in my possession, and add to them to
create a good 5.1, or 6.1 system. I have talked to local audio/video stores
and they just want to sell me everything new, and tell me that my old
equipment (primarily speakers that I want to reuse) are just old technology
and are poor. My conjecture is that quality is quality, and if I liked the
sound for the past 20 years, and they are still in mint condition, what is
wrong with re-useing them. In additoon, since my budget is around
$2000-$2500, either I reuse the present and add a new receiver and
rear/center speakers, OR I get a new THIB, which I believe to be of poorer
quality throughout. Problem is, that I cannot get any recommendations as to
which new speakers would match my older speakers. The ones I want to reuse
are "Either" Dahlquist DQ-20's, or JBL 4311 Studio Monitors (Whichever I can
match better). I also have a JBL Pro 12" sub, that I will continue to use
for time being. Receiver will probably be a new Harman Kardon AVR 7300, or
equivalent.
So what are your thoughts and recommendations as to which rear, and center
speakers would be a match for what I want. For those who dont know about my
current brands, The Dalhquist are large floor speakers, and rather
inefficient with a very flat response and good spatial quality, the JBL's on
the contrast are large bookshelf and rather directional speakers with high
efficiency. Both have wide frequency range, although the JBL's are slightly
brighter in sound. SO is $1000 of my budget goes to the A/V receiver, then
that will leave about $1000-$1500 for Rears, a good Center, and possibly the
beginnings of a better sub. Ideas or Opinions ?

More about : opinion audio guy

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:20:23 AM

DMHenrie <DMHenrie@hotmail.com> wrote:
> ... quality throughout. Problem is, that I cannot get any recommendations as to
> which new speakers would match my older speakers. The ones I want to reuse
> are "Either" Dahlquist DQ-20's, or JBL 4311 Studio Monitors (Whichever I can
> match better). I also have a JBL Pro 12" sub, that I will continue to use
> for time being. Receiver will probably be a new Harman Kardon AVR 7300, or
> equivalent.

Buy a receiver, hook it up to what you have, and listen to how it sounds,
would be my suggestion. Could you us the Dahlquist speakers as fronts
and the JBLs as surrounds? I have JBL 4310, which have tone controls. If
the 4311s have those, you can maybe use them to get a better balance with
the other speakers. After you've listened, experimented with speaker
placement and maybe with sound treatments, tried equalising (if your
receiver does that), maybe done some frequency response testing with a
sound meter, you'll have a better idea where to go from there. If you
do get new speakers, you'll be able to compare, to tell whether they've
actually improved your sound.

As to the actual question you asked, I have no idea about matching. I'm
using an Axiom M2i as center with my JBLs as fronts.

Greg Lee <greg@ling.lll.hawaii.edu>
!