automatic shutdown after sysem failure

does any one know where to find this option. I found it on my computer but
couldn't find it on another. I think it has to do with sp2 but Im not sure.
Im trying to get past the windows boot menu which keeps restarting before
point is tried. What are my options??

prim18 wrote:
> does any one know where to find this option. I found it on my
> computer but couldn't find it on another. I think it has to do with
> sp2 but Im not sure. Im trying to get past the windows boot menu
> which keeps restarting before loading completely even when in Safe
> mode or after last known good system point is tried. What are my
> options??

Start --> Control Panel --> System --> Advanced tab --> Startup and Recovery
section --> Settings button --> Uncheck Automatically Restart and OK your
way out.

You may have to be logged in as an administrator or in XP Home - as "the"
administrator in safe mode.

However, getting there may be impossible in the situation you described..
May need to perform a repair installation.

If you perform a repair install, your installation media (CD) needs to
really be the same service pack level as your currently installed system.
You will likely need to create a new CD from the old one with SP2
slipstreamed/integrated into it. Something like "AutoStreamer" would assist
you in making this new CD from the old one.

Create a SP2 Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with Autostreamer
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

Perform a Repair installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

thanks i think a repair from the cd is the way to go

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> prim18 wrote:
> > does any one know where to find this option. I found it on my
> > computer but couldn't find it on another. I think it has to do with
> > sp2 but Im not sure. Im trying to get past the windows boot menu
> > which keeps restarting before loading completely even when in Safe
> > mode or after last known good system point is tried. What are my
> > options??
>
> Start --> Control Panel --> System --> Advanced tab --> Startup and Recovery
> section --> Settings button --> Uncheck Automatically Restart and OK your
> way out.
>
> You may have to be logged in as an administrator or in XP Home - as "the"
> administrator in safe mode.
>
> However, getting there may be impossible in the situation you described..
> May need to perform a repair installation.
>
> If you perform a repair install, your installation media (CD) needs to
> really be the same service pack level as your currently installed system.
> You will likely need to create a new CD from the old one with SP2
> slipstreamed/integrated into it. Something like "AutoStreamer" would assist
> you in making this new CD from the old one.
>
> Create a SP2 Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with Autostreamer
> http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
>
> Perform a Repair installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

By default, XP is configured that when a system failure is encountered
the system automatically restarts.
To prevent the system from automatically restarting:

Right click [My Computer] click [Properties] and select [Advanced] tab.
Click the [Settings] button in the [Startup and Recovery] section.
Remove the checkmark from [Automatically Restart] in [System Failure]
section.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

prim18 wrote:

> does any one know where to find this option. I found it on my computer but
> couldn't find it on another. I think it has to do with sp2 but Im not sure.
> Im trying to get past the windows boot menu which keeps restarting before
> point is tried. What are my options??

TRENDING THREADS