Space exploration is expensive

According to a norwegian news source, a russian astrologist(?) has sued
NASA because the collision between Depp Impact and the comet Wossname,
disturbed said comet's orbit. As a consequence her work was disturbed.
Initially the case is handled in Russia, but she plans on taking it
further, into american courts.

I've checked the stars, and to me it's obvious that she will not win.
OTOH, we foreigners know that the american justice system is very weird, a
constant source of entertainment, and that the most ridiculous claims are
usually rewarded.

There is the slight possibility that the story is not true. OTOH it's also
documented here:

http://www.mosnews.com/feature/2005/04/19/deepimpact.shtml

--
pibbur of Capricorn

Pibbur Dragon the Righteous Superlative Retainer of Virtue wrote:
> According to a norwegian news source, a russian astrologist(?) has sued

In English it is usually Astrologer (presumably the word has an earlyer
origin than the other -logy based professions that use -logist).
Actually, I am not sure Astrologist is actually wrong, now that I think
about it.

> NASA because the collision between Depp Impact and the comet Wossname,
> disturbed said comet's orbit. As a consequence her work was disturbed.
> Initially the case is handled in Russia, but she plans on taking it
> further, into american courts.
> I've checked the stars, and to me it's obvious that she will not win.
> OTOH, we foreigners know that the american justice system is very weird, a
> constant source of entertainment, and that the most ridiculous claims are
> usually rewarded.
> There is the slight possibility that the story is not true. OTOH it's also
> documented here:
>
> http://www.mosnews.com/feature/2005/04/19/deepimpact.shtml

Well, I found an article at the Seattle times, I am not sure how
reliable that is. It sounds like a real event, even if the suit is
frivolous.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002347919_comet25.html

The problem with astrologers is they have got the chain of causation
backwards. It is not that the stars affect human actions, human actions
affect the motion of the stars. So we need to all follow our horoscopes
lest a celestial body smash into the Earth. ;)

>From the articles it is not clear that the comets path will even be
signifcantly altered.

I have to ask what the point of space technology is if we can't blow
stuff up every once and awhile.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a26, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

In our series "complaining at pibbur's spelling", I would like to point out
that the so called Depp Impact can hand out some serious damage. It hit my
sister so hard that she decided to make me watch both "Benny & Joon" AND
"Don Juan De Marco".

So, take heed gentlemen, take heed.

LVD

"pibbur" <oops@dragonline.noland> wrote in message
> According to a norwegian news source, a russian astrologist(?) has sued
> NASA because the collision between Depp Impact and the comet Wossname,
> disturbed said comet's orbit. As a consequence her work was disturbed.
> Initially the case is handled in Russia, but she plans on taking it
> further, into american courts.
>
> I've checked the stars, and to me it's obvious that she will not win.
> OTOH, we foreigners know that the american justice system is very weird, a
> constant source of entertainment, and that the most ridiculous claims are
> usually rewarded.
>
> There is the slight possibility that the story is not true. OTOH it's also
> documented here:
>
> http://www.mosnews.com/feature/2005/04/19/deepimpact.shtml
>
> --
> pibbur of Capricorn

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:09:23 +0200, Lord Vashnu Dragon
<lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> In our series "complaining at pibbur's spelling", I would like to point
> out
> that the so called Depp Impact can hand out some serious damage. It hit
> my
> sister so hard that she decided to make me watch both "Benny & Joon" AND
> "Don Juan De Marco".
>
> So, take heed gentlemen, take heed.

http://www.deppimpact.com/ ?

pibbur
depp imp.., dep I.,deP I, dpp, d... NOT SHALLOW IMPACT!

Words to the wise, pibbur <oops@dragonline.noland> wrote:

>http://www.deppimpact.com/ ?
>
>pibbur
>depp imp.., dep I.,deP I, dpp, d... NOT SHALLOW IMPACT!

"Depp impact" can also be seen as Denglish for "Depp" is german for
"Moron".

Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:
> Words to the wise, pibbur wrote:
>
>>http://www.deppimpact.com/ ?
>>
>>pibbur
>>depp imp.., dep I.,deP I, dpp, d... NOT SHALLOW IMPACT!
>>

> "Depp impact" can also be seen as Denglish for "Depp" is german for
> "Moron".

So are you saying Johnny Depp is a moron?

--
Ashikaga a27

Words to the wise, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> "Depp impact" can also be seen as Denglish for "Depp" is german for
>> "Moron".
>
>So are you saying Johnny Depp is a moron?

Nope, I am saying that morons can leave quite a big impact.

thehawk

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

Claus Dragon wrote:
> Words to the wise, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>>"Depp impact" can also be seen as Denglish for "Depp" is german for
>>>"Moron".
>>
>>So are you saying Johnny Depp is a moron?
>

> Nope, I am saying that morons can leave quite a big impact.

Do not underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

-thehawk

"thehawk" <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com> wrote in message
> Claus Dragon wrote:

>>>So are you saying Johnny Depp is a moron?
>>

>> Nope, I am saying that morons can leave quite a big impact.
>
> Do not underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

Or large people in stupid groups, for that matter.

Words to the wise, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com> wrote:

>> Nope, I am saying that morons can leave quite a big impact.
>
>Do not underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

Is this not what I just said in different words?

Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:
> Words to the wise, thehawk wrote:
>
>>> Nope, I am saying that morons can leave quite a big impact.
>>
>>Do not underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
>
> Is this not what I just said in different words?

Hawkie..., you are right.... We don't need stupid people in this group.
;-)

--
Ashikaga a27

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Claus Dragon <claus@ultima-dragons.org>:
> Nope, I am saying that morons can leave quite a big impact.

It depends from how high you drop them. >:)

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

On 05 Jul 2005 01:19:52 GMT, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth Claus Dragon <claus@ultima-dragons.org>:
>> Nope, I am saying that morons can leave quite a big impact.
>
>It depends from how high you drop them. >:)

It also depends on the gravitational constant, the air density and if you
impart a stabilizing spin to their bodies.

This is why I prefer barbeque.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:48:38 +0200, Saint George's Dragon
<allan_olley@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Pibbur Dragon the Righteous Superlative Retainer of Virtue wrote:
>> According to a norwegian news source, a russian astrologist(?) has sued

> I have to ask what the point of space technology is if we can't blow
> stuff up every once and awhile.

I agree completely.

--
pibbur

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:19:52 +0200, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

> Quoth Claus Dragon <claus@ultima-dragons.org>:
>> Nope, I am saying that morons can leave quite a big impact.
>
> It depends from how high you drop them. >:)

Or ... deppends ..

--
ppibbur

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:05:16 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:

>>> Do not underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
>>
>> Is this not what I just said in different words?
>
> Hawkie..., you are right.... We don't need stupid people in this group.
> ;-)

2 possible responses:

1. So, why are you still here?
2. So, why am I still here?

--
ppibbur, deppresed by the imminent deppopulation of RGCUD

"pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:05:16 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:

>>> Is this not what I just said in different words?
>>
>> Hawkie..., you are right.... We don't need stupid people in this group.
>> ;-)
>>

> 2 possible responses:
>
> 1. So, why are you still here?
> 2. So, why am I still here?

What is purple bookshelves?

LVD

Eek! pibbur wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>> Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:

>>> Is this not what I just said in different words?
>>
>> Hawkie..., you are right.... We don't need stupid people in this group.
>> ;-)
>>

> 2 possible responses:
>
> 1. So, why are you still here?
> 2. So, why am I still here?

Bah.... I guess you are pretty okay for a stupid person. ;-) just
kidding.

--
Ashikaga a27

thehawk

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

pibbur wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:05:16 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:

>>> Is this not what I just said in different words?
>>

>> Hawkie..., you are right.... We don't need stupid people in this group.
>> ;-)
>>

> 2 possible responses:
>
> 1. So, why are you still here?
> 2. So, why am I still here?

Neither one of you is stupid. That is all.

-thehawk

Eek! Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
> "pibbur" wrote...
<snip>
>> 2 possible responses:
>>
>> 1. So, why are you still here?
>> 2. So, why am I still here?
>
> What is purple bookshelves?

Do you like purple yam pie?

--
Ashikaga a27

"Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Eek! Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
>> "pibbur" wrote...
> <snip>
>>> 2 possible responses:
>>>
>>> 1. So, why are you still here?
>>> 2. So, why am I still here?
>>
>> What is purple bookshelves?
>
> Do you like purple yam pie?

Nah, I was just playing a lil bit of Jeopardy. That's what this group is
for, right?

rec.games.large.group.of.morons.jeopardy

Uuhm, btw, what is purple yam pie (this is not a J-question)?

LVD

Eek! Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
> "Ashikaga" wrote...
<snip>
>> Do you like purple yam pie?
>
> Nah, I was just playing a lil bit of Jeopardy. That's what this group is
> for, right?
>
> rec.games.large.group.of.morons.jeopardy
>
> Uuhm, btw, what is purple yam pie (this is not a J-question)?

It's a pie with filling made of purple yam.... Duh!?!

--

> Eek! Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
>> "Ashikaga" wrote...
> <snip>
>>> Do you like purple yam pie?
>>
>> Nah, I was just playing a lil bit of Jeopardy. That's what this group is
>> for, right?
>>
>> rec.games.large.group.of.morons.jeopardy
>>
>> Uuhm, btw, what is purple yam pie (this is not a J-question)?
>
> It's a pie with filling made of purple yam.... Duh!?!

Absurdly enough, that actually makes sense.

LVD

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 06:52:24 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eek! Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
>> "Ashikaga" wrote...
> <snip>
>>> Do you like purple yam pie?
>>
>> Nah, I was just playing a lil bit of Jeopardy. That's what this group is
>> for, right?
>>
>> rec.games.large.group.of.morons.jeopardy
>>
>> Uuhm, btw, what is purple yam pie (this is not a J-question)?
>
> It's a pie with filling made of purple yam.... Duh!?!

In general I don't think you should talk about other edibles than
cinnabons here. Except fresh, almost living meat, of course.

--
pibbur, the cinnnabon depprived dragon

Eek! Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
> "Ashikaga" wrote...
>> Eek! Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
>>> "Ashikaga" wrote...
<snip>

>>> Nah, I was just playing a lil bit of Jeopardy. That's what this group is
>>> for, right?
>>>
>>> rec.games.large.group.of.morons.jeopardy
>>>
>>> Uuhm, btw, what is purple yam pie (this is not a J-question)?
>>
>> It's a pie with filling made of purple yam.... Duh!?!
>
> Absurdly enough, that actually makes sense.

Now, you made me curious, what is a purple bookshelf...?

--
Ashikaga a27