sammy22b06

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
i want to format my existing RAID 0 HDs but it seems that deleting the array isnt enough suggestions? I'm going to RAID them after i format

p4 3.0ghz (now)
(2) 80 gb hds
epox 4pca3 mobo
1 gb mem

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Delete array. Create new array. Format disk. Easy as that.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
You don't need to delete the array unless you want to create a new with different configuration (stripesize etc.) If you wan't to delete the data of the drive, just format it. From the OS point of view, it's just a drive. RAID is handled by your RAID controller. Keep in mind, though, that you cannot from within windows format your boot drive (Windows refuse to selfdestruct :) ).
Formatting the entire drive usually also implies reinstalling the OS. If that's the case, simply boot from the OS installation CD and choose format when prompted.
Note, however, that such format doesn't allow you to specify the cluster size. If you can live with the default (4 kB for NTFS) just go ahead. If you wan't a different cluster size, I suggest you read the RAID FAQ.
Alternatively you could also boot from a floppy and issue format from there.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>