Desperate cry for help!

Hypno

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2004
Hello guys! Im new to these boards, and first I would like to say "hi". Secondly I would like to have a moment to scream "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP". Okay, first my system specs:

Proc: P4 2.26 Ghz (not OC)
MB: Epox 4G4A (lates bios ver. updated)
Ram: 2 X Kingmax 256 Mb DDRAM @ 400 Mhz (on slots 2 and 3)
Swap: on D partition with fixed 1536 Mb size

Problem description: Computer restarts while running applications or games that require intensive memory usage (ie: Il2 Forgotten Battles - after exiting a game, Flight Sim 2004- while playing, Photoimpact while handling too many objects). I will mention that other Windows operations run normally and all the I do constant drive error checks and scans. I am 99% sure that the memory is the culprit here. The manual states that 4G4A supports only PC2700 memory. Well, something happened and I ended up with these 2 modules and I need to find a way to fix the problem. And this is not new either. I had in the past a 512 module at 333 and I had the same problem, even on Windows 98. I tried different bios settings but to no avail. The best I could do is to make the restarts rarer by reducing the memory frequency to 200Mhz from 400Mhz. I dont know what else to to because my bios configuration is limited. Also, can someone please help me find a good overcloaking guide for my specs?

Here is what I have currentlly set in BIOS:
FREQUENCY/VOLAGE page

Cpu/FSB Speed: 133/2.26 Ghz
Memory Frequency: 4.3 -> DDR200
AGP/PCI CLK: auto
Vcore: 0
Vagp: 0
Vdimm: 0

ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES page

Dram Timing Selectable: manual (options are: manual, by SPD, turbo)
CAS Latency Time: 2.5 (options are: 1.5; 2; 2.5)
Active to Precharge Delay: 7 (options are: 7; 6; 5)
Dram RAS to CAS Delay: 3 (options are: 3; 2)
Dram RAS Precharge: 3 (options are: 3; 2)

I hope someone here has an aswer. Thanks in advance.

Hyp

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Hypno on 01/17/04 07:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

afterdark

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
Do you have good cooling?

Random restarts when doing high intensity things sounds like a heat issue to me. Install a software temperature monitor and see what it says. Pentium 4's rarely overheat, as they are supposed to underclock when overheated, but you never know.

Why are you 99% sure that your memory is the thing causing your problems?

The fact that this is still happening even though you switched out the ram suggests that your memory is NOT the culprit.

Also, are you using a good power supply? Power supply issues can cause random reboots.

Hypno

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2004
My processor temperature is between 47-49 degrees. Not an issue imho.
How can the power supply can cause me problems? I'd say: if that was it, i would get random restarts and not when Windows frees up ram. Think about it!
Im not saying that the memory is busted, just that its running at an unsupported frequency and from what I heard, it can be fixed from bios

Thanks anyways Afterdark

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you think ram is culprit, get memtest86 from <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com/" target="_new"> here</A>, it's great for ram test.

Hypno

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2004
Sory guys, tried 2 memory tests already including memtest and nothing. No errors, no quirks ..nada. Now you understand why am i so desperate :/