petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
I first built my computer in 99, upgraded different pieces from time to time, still have the original case and 2 IBM 5400 rpm IDE/66 HD's. Also got a 5400 rpm maxtor I pulled from an HP in there in 2001, I think I will finally upgrade my HD's.

Currently got a Asus A7N8X MB, when I get the new HD should windows go on it?, I would prefer not too because Im not in the mood to reinstall, but seeing how my swap file is hanging out with windows I suppose it would be best? How well would it work out if windows had its own 5 year old 10 gig drive, all my games/programs went on the new 80 gig and keep the 30 for mp3's/pictures?

If I did have that setup, put the 2 slow drives together, then the new drive with the cd maybe? cd player dosnt spin much, biggest hit I would see would be during a game install I'd imagine. If I do put Windows on the new drive I will probably only keep the 30 gig maxtor just for file space, then the 80 gig could have its own cable.

Any suggestions for a 80 gig drive? preferabbly under $100, I havent put alot of effort into my search yet, found this WD WD800JB for only $75, dosnt seem too shabby.

sturm

Splendid
are you install a new motherboard(A7N8X) also or just the HD?
If your doing the MB also then you will need to reinstall the os so put the os on it. Do two partitions on the 80, 1 for the os and the other for the games. Youll see a big difference on load times.
WD will work just fine. Used about 8 or 9 of them and never had a problem.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
The OS should be on a small partition (5-10 GB) on the 80 GB drive. The partition should be the first one on the drive. This ensures that all windows related files are kept on the fastest possible part of the fastest drive.
Windows files are accessed very often, so you want those to go on the fastest drive. Boot-up times are better and the general feel of the machine would improve.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
no just buying a new HD, already got the system set up with old ones, my best bet would probably be just reinstalling XP again... In the long run thats probably the best because Id only have the 2 hard drives and a cdrw