HP dv9500t - What do you think of this configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

internationalist

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Hi,

So I've been doing some research on laptops lately and have learned a lot from this forum as to what needs to be considered. Thank you all much. =)

First question, for the following configuration how important or not necessary to upgrade the processor from [c2d 2.0ghz w/2mb of L2 800mhz fsb] to [c2d 2.2ghz w/4mb of L2 800mhz fsb]? Obviously, it would be a bit faster, but I need to know is it worth spending an extra $100 for two more megabytes of L2, so please explain your reasoning for yay or nay on the matter.

Okay, here is the configuration I've chosen. Feel free to comment on my selections (with your reasoning if alternate suggestions). By the way, I'm a web developer also into print media as well.

=========================================================
Components

* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
* Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
* 17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
* $50 Off upgrade from 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) to 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
* HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Webcam + Microphone
* Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection
* FREE Upgrade to 240GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (120GB x 2) from 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive!!
* FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support!!
* No TV Tuner w/remote control
* High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
* Microsoft(R) Works 8.0

$1338 tax incl.
=========================================================

Looking forward to what everyone has to say.
Shad

What are the intended uses for this laptop? If it's just basics and light gaming, I see no issues. I would recommend a 7200rpm HDD especially if your current system uses one. As for the cache, I think gaming is the only time where you will see a difference with cache sizes (don't quote me on that).

Either the Dell Inspiron 1720 or the Vostro 1700 would be good alternatives. Look at those and see if either are better deals.

internationalist

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Thanks for the reply. The programs I will be running will be PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc. I'm not really a gamer as of recent.

I will check out the other two models you mentioned.

Oh yeah, you mentioned 7200 rpm drives (which I do use right now), but that's $160 extra. Is it possible to just buy another hard drive later and install it as the boot drive - this would be the same as adding a fresh master drive to a motherboard on a desktop wouldn't it?

Thanks
Shad

I forgot to mention the Inspiron can only be configured through the Home and Home Office page. With laptops I'm not sure if you can have the HDD in any other setup than RAID. I would imagine it's possible though. Never tried it.

With the HDD speed, it will only make a difference on your load times. If you use programs that do a lot of loading, then yes you will notice a difference. Day to day use, probably not.

internationalist

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I know why I never saw the Inspiron models, is because I set the filter to only 17" laptops, which is a must for me.

This laptop will be my main computer, so when you say "loading" are you meaning only starting up the program? Because if that's the case, once it's loaded, shouldn't it run just fine or will the "run" speed be a bit slower as well?

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
He means that if you're loading a file or starting up a program, then it will be a bit slower. Once it's loaded, it's in the RAM, so it shouldn't take a performance hit there.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I really recommend http://www.dell.com/outlet

You can save quite a bit of money.
Usually enough to get you 3-4 years of on-site warranty at the same price.

I've bought 4 laptops from the Outlet w/o issue.
(Me, Wife, Folks, Sis)

I only got the warranty on mine since mine was the only really expensive one that made the warranty worthwhile.

Jon44

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
I was also looking at this laptop and wondered how big a drawback it is that you can't expand the memory past 2GB. Any opinions for a middle-of-the-road user?

(My understanding is that a 9600 model is out that goes to 4...)

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.