Appliance makers are evil.

Last response: in Video Games
July 7, 2005 11:50:54 PM

I'm replacing the water mixing valve on the back of my Kenmore washing
machine. Also taking this chance to put some braided steel hoses back
there since a burst hose is a messy pain. I can't find my manual for some
reason, although I have about a hundred other ones so I'm just playing it
by ear. After a while I see that the top must come off so I can pull the
back free a bit. Too bad the stupid thing is put together in such a way
that you must tip it entirely over to get at the screws that hold the top
on. Not like my last washing machine which had mechanisms where you'd
stick a thin tool in and release latches to open it up. Screw that, I cut
the screws and now I'm using JB Weld epoxy putty to mount some nuts inside
the frame so I can screw it together.

I guess they just want end users to buy new $500 washing machines every
time a $20 part goes out. Bah.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

More about : appliance makers evil

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:39:05 AM

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:50:54 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I'm replacing the water mixing valve on the back of my Kenmore washing
>machine. Also taking this chance to put some braided steel hoses back
>there since a burst hose is a messy pain. I can't find my manual for some
>reason, although I have about a hundred other ones so I'm just playing it
>by ear. After a while I see that the top must come off so I can pull the
>back free a bit. Too bad the stupid thing is put together in such a way
>that you must tip it entirely over to get at the screws that hold the top
>on. Not like my last washing machine which had mechanisms where you'd
>stick a thin tool in and release latches to open it up. Screw that, I cut
>the screws and now I'm using JB Weld epoxy putty to mount some nuts inside
>the frame so I can screw it together.
>
>I guess they just want end users to buy new $500 washing machines every
>time a $20 part goes out. Bah.
You have one of the ones that the entire cabinet is basically one
piece of bent steel? Our old one was like that. You had to remove the
top-mounted control panel, unscrew a bunch of screws, and lift the
whole shebang off. The good thing was you could get to everything
easily, but removing that heavy-ass entire cabinet was a real PIA. On
the one we have now, you just pop the top loose, lift it back and the
mixing valve is held in with one screw and a slide notch.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:39:06 AM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:39:05 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>You have one of the ones that the entire cabinet is basically one
>piece of bent steel? Our old one was like that. You had to remove the
>top-mounted control panel, unscrew a bunch of screws, and lift the
>whole shebang off. The good thing was you could get to everything
>easily, but removing that heavy-ass entire cabinet was a real PIA. On
>the one we have now, you just pop the top loose, lift it back and the
>mixing valve is held in with one screw and a slide notch.

Yeah, but my old one had the same kind of cabinet also. The only
difference was you could flip open the entire top to work on it. This one
can be opened but the screws are, er, were installed in a such a way that
you had to tip the entire thing over on a side and use a 4-5 foot long
socket driver to undo them.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 9:44:19 AM

It's not just appliances. I have come to the conclusion that those
who make things have never actually used them, nor thought about how
to use them, because they certainly wouldn't make them that way if
they did.

--

Erimess Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

d++e+NT++Om UK!1!2!3!A!L!
U+uCuFuG+++uLB+uA+ nC+nH+nP+nS++nT-xa2

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 9:57:01 AM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:50:54 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

> I'm replacing the water mixing valve on the back of my Kenmore washing
> machine. Also taking this chance to put some braided steel hoses back
> there since a burst hose is a messy pain. I can't find my manual for
> some
> reason, although I have about a hundred other ones so I'm just playing it
> by ear. After a while I see that the top must come off so I can pull the
> back free a bit. Too bad the stupid thing is put together in such a way
> that you must tip it entirely over to get at the screws that hold the top
> on. Not like my last washing machine which had mechanisms where you'd
> stick a thin tool in and release latches to open it up. Screw that, I
> cut
> the screws and now I'm using JB Weld epoxy putty to mount some nuts
> inside
> the frame so I can screw it together.
>
> I guess they just want end users to buy new $500 washing machines every
> time a $20 part goes out. Bah.

There was this guy in the northern part of Norway, who like you had to
repair the washing machine. (BTW, this story IS true). He had some
trouble, and got angrier and angrier, which curiously started affecting
his choice of words. Within a period of 5 minutes he employed almost every
four-lettered word known to the norwegian language, and added a few of his
own.

What he didn't know was that his son, equipped with a casette-deck
recorded the event. And sent it to the local radio station. Which
broadcasted it. I've heard it, it's hilarious. We also have a transcript
in a book about humoUr in north Norway. I swear (oops!) that if I read it
aloud, I would be forced to go and wash my mouth.

--
pibbur

July 8, 2005 9:57:02 AM

"pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
news:o p.stkytcyluioorg@nessus...
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:50:54 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm replacing the water mixing valve on the back of my Kenmore washing
>> machine. Also taking this chance to put some braided steel hoses back
>> there since a burst hose is a messy pain. I can't find my manual for
>> some
>> reason, although I have about a hundred other ones so I'm just playing it
>> by ear. After a while I see that the top must come off so I can pull the
>> back free a bit. Too bad the stupid thing is put together in such a way
>> that you must tip it entirely over to get at the screws that hold the top
>> on. Not like my last washing machine which had mechanisms where you'd
>> stick a thin tool in and release latches to open it up. Screw that, I
>> cut
>> the screws and now I'm using JB Weld epoxy putty to mount some nuts
>> inside
>> the frame so I can screw it together.
>>
>> I guess they just want end users to buy new $500 washing machines every
>> time a $20 part goes out. Bah.
>>
> There was this guy in the northern part of Norway, who like you had to
> repair the washing machine. (BTW, this story IS true). He had some
> trouble, and got angrier and angrier, which curiously started affecting
> his choice of words. Within a period of 5 minutes he employed almost every
> four-lettered word known to the norwegian language, and added a few of his
> own.
>
> What he didn't know was that his son, equipped with a casette-deck
> recorded the event. And sent it to the local radio station. Which
> broadcasted it. I've heard it, it's hilarious. We also have a transcript
> in a book about humoUr in north Norway. I swear (oops!) that if I read it
> aloud, I would be forced to go and wash my mouth.

And if you don't read it aloud, all you'll have is a dirty mind?

LVD
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:25:37 AM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 08:51:21 +0200, Lord Vashnu Dragon
<lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> "pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
> news:o p.stkytcyluioorg@nessus...
>> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:50:54 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

...>>>
>> There was this guy in the northern part of Norway, who like you had to
>> repair the washing machine. (BTW, this story IS true). He had some
>> trouble, and got angrier and angrier, which curiously started affecting
>> his choice of words. Within a period of 5 minutes he employed almost
>> every
>> four-lettered word known to the norwegian language, and added a few of
>> his
>> own.
>>
>> What he didn't know was that his son, equipped with a casette-deck
>> recorded the event. And sent it to the local radio station. Which
>> broadcasted it. I've heard it, it's hilarious. We also have a transcript
>> in a book about humoUr in north Norway. I swear (oops!) that if I read
>> it
>> aloud, I would be forced to go and wash my mouth.
>
> And if you don't read it aloud, all you'll have is a dirty mind?

Yes, but that doesn't show.

--
pibbur - commercial version, plugging Opera

July 8, 2005 11:25:38 AM

"pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
news:o p.stk2wshnuioorg@nessus...
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 08:51:21 +0200, Lord Vashnu Dragon
> <lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>> "pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
>> news:o p.stkytcyluioorg@nessus...
>>> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:50:54 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
>>> wrote:
>>>
> ..>>>
>>> There was this guy in the northern part of Norway, who like you had to
>>> repair the washing machine. (BTW, this story IS true). He had some
>>> trouble, and got angrier and angrier, which curiously started affecting
>>> his choice of words. Within a period of 5 minutes he employed almost
>>> every
>>> four-lettered word known to the norwegian language, and added a few of
>>> his
>>> own.
>>>
>>> What he didn't know was that his son, equipped with a casette-deck
>>> recorded the event. And sent it to the local radio station. Which
>>> broadcasted it. I've heard it, it's hilarious. We also have a transcript
>>> in a book about humoUr in north Norway. I swear (oops!) that if I read
>>> it
>>> aloud, I would be forced to go and wash my mouth.
>>
>> And if you don't read it aloud, all you'll have is a dirty mind?
>>
> Yes, but that doesn't show.

Which, of course, is a shame.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:10:09 PM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:36:46 +0200, Lord Vashnu Dragon
<lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> "pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
> news:o p.stk2wshnuioorg@nessus...
>> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 08:51:21 +0200, Lord Vashnu Dragon
>> <lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>

>>> "pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
>>> news:o p.stkytcyluioorg@nessus...
>>>>
>> ..>>>

>>> And if you don't read it aloud, all you'll have is a dirty mind?
>>>
>> Yes, but that doesn't show.
>
> Which, of course, is a shame.

Agreed.

--
pibbur
July 8, 2005 3:16:05 PM

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:59:55 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:39:05 GMT, Optician Dragon
><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>You have one of the ones that the entire cabinet is basically one
>>piece of bent steel? Our old one was like that. You had to remove the
>>top-mounted control panel, unscrew a bunch of screws, and lift the
>>whole shebang off. The good thing was you could get to everything
>>easily, but removing that heavy-ass entire cabinet was a real PIA. On
>>the one we have now, you just pop the top loose, lift it back and the
>>mixing valve is held in with one screw and a slide notch.
>
>Yeah, but my old one had the same kind of cabinet also. The only
>difference was you could flip open the entire top to work on it. This one
>can be opened but the screws are, er, were installed in a such a way that
>you had to tip the entire thing over on a side and use a 4-5 foot long
>socket driver to undo them.
Yeesh! We have a Whirlpool now and it appears to be easier to work on,
but it has yet to break.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:54:02 PM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 00:43:05 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hmpfh, whaddya gotta do now, stop the Snap-On van?

Fortunately, I already own a lot of tools. The only times I need new ones
are from breakage (which is seldom) or if I encounter some new problem
where I need a new tool (like a 4 foot socket wrench extension).

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 2:11:59 AM

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>When we do accounting and stuff, waranty is considered as a part of the
>>cost and should be factored into the final selling price. So you are
>>already buying the life expectancy of the products. But think about it,
>>the easily broken products must have a higher profit margin to sustain its
>>built-in waranty cost, so the only way to be competitive, it has to be
>>made cheaply..., so it's a vicious cycle. Why can't a company just make a
>>good products that doesn't break in the first place and save its
>>reputation? (and save money on marketing the inferior products in order to
>>be profitable)
>
> I think it's more along the lines of rebate thinking. They figure most
> people won't hold them to the guarantee, either forgetting or just being
> lazy.

What? Are you telling me that merchants are being dishonest and try to
cheat my money? (*fakes an astunishment*)

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 02:54:02 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 00:43:05 GMT, Optician Dragon
> <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Hmpfh, whaddya gotta do now, stop the Snap-On van?
>
> Fortunately, I already own a lot of tools. The only times I need new
> ones
> are from breakage (which is seldom) or if I encounter some new problem
> where I need a new tool (like a 4 foot socket wrench extension).

That's for the new 64-bit CPUs?

--
pibbur

July 9, 2005 7:31:50 AM

erimess wrote:

> It's not just appliances. I have come to the conclusion that those who
> make things have never actually used them, nor thought about how to use
> them, because they certainly wouldn't make them that way if they did.

I think there are too many levels that products have to go through to
reach the end consumer. There's the inventor who comes up with the idea,
the engineer that designs it, the mechanic who builds it, the distributor
who - er - distributes it, the marketer who advertises it, the vendor who
sells it and the end-user who uses it in the end (or I suppose other
places if it's not a suppository).

Anyway, what are the chances that the final use of the product matches the
original intention after going through all that?

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:48:02 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

> Words to the wise, pibbur <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
>

>> That's for the new 64-bit CPUs?
>
> No, thats for the new CPUs:
>
> http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra20/index.js...

I WANT ONE!!!

--
pibbur
July 9, 2005 5:12:40 PM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:03:55 GMT, pibbur
<oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:48:02 +0200, Claus Dragon
><claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:
>
>> Words to the wise, pibbur <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
>>

>>> That's for the new 64-bit CPUs?
>>
>> No, thats for the new CPUs:
>>
>> http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra20/index.js...
>
>I WANT ONE!!!
OOh cool! A Sun machine for Windows!
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 5:12:41 PM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:12:40 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:03:55 GMT, pibbur
><oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:48:02 +0200, Claus Dragon
>><claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>>> No, thats for the new CPUs:
>>>
>>> http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra20/index.js...
>>
>>I WANT ONE!!!
>OOh cool! A Sun machine for Windows!

The case looks nice.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 7:48:42 PM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 09:28:26 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:12:40 GMT, Optician Dragon
><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:03:55 GMT, pibbur
>><oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

>>>I WANT ONE!!!
>>OOh cool! A Sun machine for Windows!
>
>The case looks nice.
Yeah, my bro-in-law's case looks really good on his Sun machine - all
thick perforated stainless steel.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:27:42 PM

Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>>>I WANT ONE!!!
>>OOh cool! A Sun machine for Windows!
>
>The case looks nice.

And you get the full development tool kit for that money ... which is
a bargain as I can tell you :)

The comp itself is not so much different from any other Opteron
machine, though it is certified for Solaris x86 10.
July 10, 2005 3:04:02 AM

Quoth Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>:
> Optician Dragon <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>> pibbur <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

>>>I WANT ONE!!!

You could do a lot worse -- and that price-tag really isn't too bad,
all things considered. Not sure if it'll have an 8x AGP slot, though.
:)

>>OOh cool! A Sun machine for Windows!
>
> The case looks nice.

Shiny indeed!

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 11:42:31 AM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 03:31:50 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>erimess wrote:
>
>> It's not just appliances. I have come to the conclusion that those who
>> make things have never actually used them, nor thought about how to use
>> them, because they certainly wouldn't make them that way if they did.
>
>I think there are too many levels that products have to go through to
>reach the end consumer. There's the inventor who comes up with the idea,
>the engineer that designs it, the mechanic who builds it, the distributor
>who - er - distributes it, the marketer who advertises it, the vendor who
>sells it and the end-user who uses it in the end (or I suppose other
>places if it's not a suppository).
>
>Anyway, what are the chances that the final use of the product matches the
>original intention after going through all that?

It wouldn't really matter if it matched the originally intended use or
not, as long as it worked. I as a consumer have no clue what the
intended use may have been. It's marketed with a use and that's all
I'm paying attention to. And some things it's obvious what they are
supposed to do without marketing. And some things are just difficult
to use.

Just as a very silly example, just because it happened to pop in my
head, I got these... er, can't think of the brand name, but someone
who makes a chewy candy thing and they made that into the form of a
lollipop type thing. Tasted great. If you could get the paper off
the things. It was a strange kind of paper and it wouldn't unwrap.
And it was so tight that even if you tried to take a knife and cut a
piece, it just wouldn't get you anywhere. I had to have at least a 15
minute fight with every one of them. One I literally never got off.
I'm pretty sure it was *intended* that the paper on the candy should
be unwrapped so one could eat it. That has very little to do with
anything but whoever designed or carried out the process, and that
they obviously never actually tried getting that paper off. I refuse
to buy any more just because of the silly wrapping, and in fact, I'd
intended on sending them the last one I couldn't get off with a note
saying "You forgot to include instructions on how to get it open,"
hoping that *someone* would actually attempt to do so and see how very
difficult it is.

I'm not inclined to care much how many steps were gone through or what
the chances are that the final product ended up as originally
intended. In many cases it's much simplier than that -- a wrapper
should actually come off of something and I don't see how *anyone*
along the way in the process could be confused over the idea.

You could take that same idea and put it on a larger scale besides a
candy wrapper. I'd come up with more wonderful examples except that
I'm too tired.

Actually, I just thought of one. This blender I have. The top of a
blender of course has a lid, and many of them have a center
thingamagig that can be taken out so that you can pour something into
it while it's running. On my old blender, that center thing did a
little twist and locked itself. It was easy to grab onto while it was
locked in place and pull the whole lid off. (It was also very easy to
do a quick twist and just pull the thing out if that's what you
wanted.) The currnet one I have, that center thing just slides in
there and if you pull on it, it's going to just pull out leaving the
lid behind. Which might seem quick and easy if you want to remove it.
But it leaves nothing to grab onto in order to get the lid itself off.
Gotta have something to grab onto. I end up having to sort of try to
stick a part of my finger or a fingernail underneath the lip of that
lid and sort of yank on one side and then it pops off. It's a pain.
That's the fault of whoever designed the silly thing -- isn't it
obvious part of a lid's intended purpose would be to get removed off
the top of the blender? That doesn't take much brains. Does this
have anything to do with some inventor's purpose of a lid, or what the
marketer thought of it? In the end, someone designed the thing. And
whoever designed it obviously never considered how to get it off, and
if anyone along the assembly line ever attempted to do so and realized
it was difficult, apparently they were either too chicken to say
anything or no one listened to them, which is entirely possible.

Yes, I know these are little minor products, but I never said I was
referring to big complex things. Every day is full of little such
products with difficult lids and such.

Sorry -- kind of a pet peeve. But it's why I always say the people
who make things obviously never try to actually use them.

--

Erimess Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

d++e+NT++Om UK!1!2!3!A!L!
U+uCuFuG+++uLB+uA+ nC+nH+nP+nS++nT-xa2

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 12:15:33 PM

wrote:

> I'm replacing the water mixing valve on the back of my Kenmore washing
> machine. Also taking this chance to put some braided steel hoses back
> there since a burst hose is a messy pain. I can't find my manual for
> some
> reason, although I have about a hundred other ones so I'm just playing it
> by ear. After a while I see that the top must come off so I can pull the
> back free a bit. Too bad the stupid thing is put together in such a way
> that you must tip it entirely over to get at the screws that hold the top
> on. Not like my last washing machine which had mechanisms where you'd
> stick a thin tool in and release latches to open it up. Screw that, I
> cut
> the screws and now I'm using JB Weld epoxy putty to mount some nuts
> inside
> the frame so I can screw it together.
>
> I guess they just want end users to buy new $500 washing machines every
> time a $20 part goes out. Bah.

Come on, we only need two more to create an axis of evil.

--
pibbur
Anonymous

Words to the wise, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

>You could do a lot worse -- and that price-tag really isn't too bad,
>all things considered. Not sure if it'll have an 8x AGP slot, though.
>:)

You get the full development kit included with the machine. And that
development kit alone is worth I do not exactly know how much, but
judging from what I know about the Smalltalk development kits, "Sun
Studio" should be around 3000 - 5000 euros.

>Shiny indeed!

If I were a Java developer, I would have ordered one yesterday.
July 10, 2005 5:35:42 PM

Polychromic wrote:
> I'm replacing the water mixing valve on the back of my Kenmore washing
> machine. Also taking this chance to put some braided steel hoses back
> there since a burst hose is a messy pain. I can't find my manual for some
> reason, although I have about a hundred other ones so I'm just playing it
> by ear. After a while I see that the top must come off so I can pull the
> back free a bit. Too bad the stupid thing is put together in such a way
> that you must tip it entirely over to get at the screws that hold the top
> on. Not like my last washing machine which had mechanisms where you'd
> stick a thin tool in and release latches to open it up. Screw that, I cut
> the screws and now I'm using JB Weld epoxy putty to mount some nuts inside
> the frame so I can screw it together.
>
> I guess they just want end users to buy new $500 washing machines every
> time a $20 part goes out. Bah.

*frowns* Appliance makers are evil. The Polychromic is evil (he says so
himself). I do not understand the problem. One would tend to believe
evil would be more understanding of evil's ways.

-thehawk
July 10, 2005 5:36:32 PM

pibbur wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:50:54 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm replacing the water mixing valve on the back of my Kenmore washing
>> machine. Also taking this chance to put some braided steel hoses back
>> there since a burst hose is a messy pain. I can't find my manual for
>> some
>> reason, although I have about a hundred other ones so I'm just playing it
>> by ear. After a while I see that the top must come off so I can pull the
>> back free a bit. Too bad the stupid thing is put together in such a way
>> that you must tip it entirely over to get at the screws that hold the top
>> on. Not like my last washing machine which had mechanisms where you'd
>> stick a thin tool in and release latches to open it up. Screw that,
>> I cut
>> the screws and now I'm using JB Weld epoxy putty to mount some nuts
>> inside
>> the frame so I can screw it together.
>>
>> I guess they just want end users to buy new $500 washing machines every
>> time a $20 part goes out. Bah.
>>

> Come on, we only need two more to create an axis of evil.
>
> --
> pibbur

I am in.

-thehawk
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 9:35:16 PM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:35:42 -0700, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>
wrote:

>*frowns* Appliance makers are evil. The Polychromic is evil (he says so
>himself). I do not understand the problem. One would tend to believe
>evil would be more understanding of evil's ways.

There can be only one.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:56:42 AM

Eek! thehawk wrote:
> pibbur wrote:
<snip>
>> Come on, we only need two more to create an axis of evil.
>
> I am in.

I am kinda weird, don't know if that's count as evil.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> thehawk wrote:
>
>>*frowns* Appliance makers are evil. The Polychromic is evil (he says so
>>himself). I do not understand the problem. One would tend to believe
>>evil would be more understanding of evil's ways.
>
> There can be only one.

You are not evil, Poly. You are just eccentric.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:36:32 -0700, thehawk
<thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com> wrote:

>pibbur wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:50:54 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm replacing the water mixing valve on the back of my Kenmore washing
>>> machine. Also taking this chance to put some braided steel hoses back
>>> there since a burst hose is a messy pain. I can't find my manual for
>>> some
>>> reason, although I have about a hundred other ones so I'm just playing it
>>> by ear. After a while I see that the top must come off so I can pull the
>>> back free a bit. Too bad the stupid thing is put together in such a way
>>> that you must tip it entirely over to get at the screws that hold the top
>>> on. Not like my last washing machine which had mechanisms where you'd
>>> stick a thin tool in and release latches to open it up. Screw that,
>>> I cut
>>> the screws and now I'm using JB Weld epoxy putty to mount some nuts
>>> inside
>>> the frame so I can screw it together.
>>>
>>> I guess they just want end users to buy new $500 washing machines every
>>> time a $20 part goes out. Bah.
>>>

>> Come on, we only need two more to create an axis of evil.
>>
>> --
>> pibbur
>
>I am in.
>
>-thehawk
Are you x, y, or z axis?
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West
July 11, 2005 6:20:12 AM

Optician Dragon wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:36:32 -0700, thehawk
> <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com> wrote:
>

>>pibbur wrote:

>>>Come on, we only need two more to create an axis of evil.
>>>
>>>--
>>>pibbur
>>
>>I am in.
>>
>>-thehawk
>
> Are you x, y, or z axis?
> -=UDIC=-
> Optician Dragon
> "That's the great thing about being dumb -
> You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
> -"Frog" from Best Of The West

I want to be Tau.

-thehawk
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:21:52 AM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:35:16 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:35:42 -0700, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>
>wrote:
>
>>*frowns* Appliance makers are evil. The Polychromic is evil (he says so
>>himself). I do not understand the problem. One would tend to believe
>>evil would be more understanding of evil's ways.
>
>There can be only one.
So, what, now you're going into appliance manufacturing?
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:21:53 AM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:21:52 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:35:16 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:35:42 -0700, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>*frowns* Appliance makers are evil. The Polychromic is evil (he says so
>>>himself). I do not understand the problem. One would tend to believe
>>>evil would be more understanding of evil's ways.
>>
>>There can be only one.
>So, what, now you're going into appliance manufacturing?

When I've taken the heads of all appliance manufacturers and claimed the
Prize, then I will consider it.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
July 11, 2005 6:21:54 AM

Polychromic wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:21:52 GMT, Optician Dragon
> <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:35:16 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
>>wrote:

>>>There can be only one.
>>
>>So, what, now you're going into appliance manufacturing?
>

> When I've taken the heads of all appliance manufacturers and claimed the
> Prize, then I will consider it.

So what you are saying is that we should start referring to you as the
Kurgan?

-thehawk
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 8:25:46 AM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 03:56:42 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eek! thehawk wrote:
>> pibbur wrote:
> <snip>
>>> Come on, we only need two more to create an axis of evil.
>>
>> I am in.
>
> I am kinda weird, don't know if that's count as evil.

Depends on how weird you are. IMNSHO you'r not weird (or evil) enough.
Sorry.

--
pibbur

July 11, 2005 8:27:39 AM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:36:32 +0200, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>
wrote:

> pibbur wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:50:54 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm replacing the water mixing valve on the back of my Kenmore washing
>>> machine. Also taking this chance to put some braided steel hoses back
>>> there since a burst hose is a messy pain. I can't find my manual for
>>> some
>>> reason, although I have about a hundred other ones so I'm just playing
>>> it
>>> by ear. After a while I see that the top must come off so I can pull
>>> the
>>> back free a bit. Too bad the stupid thing is put together in such a
>>> way
>>> that you must tip it entirely over to get at the screws that hold the
>>> top
>>> on. Not like my last washing machine which had mechanisms where you'd
>>> stick a thin tool in and release latches to open it up. Screw that,
>>> I cut
>>> the screws and now I'm using JB Weld epoxy putty to mount some nuts
>>> inside
>>> the frame so I can screw it together.
>>>
>>> I guess they just want end users to buy new $500 washing machines every
>>> time a $20 part goes out. Bah.
>>>
>> Come on, we only need two more to create an axis of evil.
>> -- pibbur
>
> I am in.
>
> -thehawk
OK, then we have application makers, and we have thehawk.

We need one more.

--
pibbur

July 11, 2005 8:40:12 AM

Eek! pibbur wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>> Eek! thehawk wrote:
>>> pibbur wrote:
<snip>

>>> I am in.
>>
>> I am kinda weird, don't know if that's count as evil.
>>
> Depends on how weird you are. IMNSHO you'r not weird (or evil) enough.
> Sorry.

Well..., if I dance naked, would I be weird enough?

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:40:12 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eek! pibbur wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
> <snip>

>>> I am kinda weird, don't know if that's count as evil.
>>>
>> Depends on how weird you are. IMNSHO you'r not weird (or evil) enough.
>> Sorry.
>
> Well..., if I dance naked, would I be weird enough?

Depends on where you dance naked.

--
pibbur

July 11, 2005 3:06:35 PM

>>> I am in.
>>
>> I am kinda weird, don't know if that's count as evil.
>>
>Depends on how weird you are. IMNSHO you'r not weird (or evil) enough.
>Sorry.

Can I join?
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:06:36 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:06:35 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>>> I am kinda weird, don't know if that's count as evil.
>>>
>> Depends on how weird you are. IMNSHO you'r not weird (or evil) enough.
>> Sorry.
>
> Can I join?
No. It's (fortunately) a long time since being german was enough.

We could perhaps count Poly twice.

--
pibbur

July 11, 2005 3:07:40 PM

Words to the wise, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> There can be only one.
>
>You are not evil, Poly. You are just eccentric.

That is what probably each slave says to his master who is accused of
being evil.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:29:39 PM

Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:
> Words to the wise, Ashikaga wrote:
>
>>> There can be only one.
>>
>>You are not evil, Poly. You are just eccentric.
>
> That is what probably each slave says to his master who is accused of
> being evil.

I am not going to be tricked into it. :-p

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

Eek! pibbur wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>> Eek! pibbur wrote:
>>> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>

>>> Depends on how weird you are. IMNSHO you'r not weird (or evil) enough.
>>> Sorry.
>>
>> Well..., if I dance naked, would I be weird enough?
>>
> Depends on where you dance naked.

In a senior citizen polk dance club?

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:29:39 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:

>>> You are not evil, Poly. You are just eccentric.
>>
>> That is what probably each slave says to his master who is accused of
>> being evil.
>
> I am not going to be tricked into it. :-p

You're too clever - hmm, that may count as a sign of evilness. Keep up the
(not) good work.

--
pibbur
July 11, 2005 3:33:26 PM

Eek! pibbur wrote:
> Claus Dragon wrote:

>>> Depends on how weird you are. IMNSHO you'r not weird (or evil) enough.
>>> Sorry.
>>
>> Can I join?
>
> No. It's (fortunately) a long time since being german was enough.
>
> We could perhaps count Poly twice.

That'll give him too much power. We must have several evil powers, not
just one, in order to have a fight among ourselves or the good people will
never win.

--
Ashikaga a27
Anonymous

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:33:26 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eek! pibbur wrote:
>> Claus Dragon wrote:

>>> Can I join?
>>
>> No. It's (fortunately) a long time since being german was enough.
>>
>> We could perhaps count Poly twice.
>
> That'll give him too much power. We must have several evil powers, not
> just one, in order to have a fight among ourselves or the good people
> will
> never win.

But since Optician and me already makes a team (a good one), I think we'll
be able to cope.

Besides, Poly will be figthing all the appliance makers. That should keep
him busy for a while.

The problem with you Ashi, is that you - probably because of your young
age - don't think these things through. Hm. Another point in favour of
including you in the new axis of evil. You are very close now.

BTW, to keep the balance - Ashi's right there - I think we'll need an axis
of I-really-don't-care-or-I-couldn't-be-bored-things as well. Suggestions?
--
pibbur

July 11, 2005 6:17:58 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:31:38 +0200, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eek! pibbur wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
> <snip>

>>> Well..., if I dance naked, would I be weird enough?
>>>
>> Depends on where you dance naked.
>
> In a senior citizen polk dance club?

You're in.

--
pibbur

July 11, 2005 7:44:00 PM

Quoth thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>:
> So what you are saying is that we should start referring to you as
> the Kurgan?

I wonder if Poly goes for the safety-pin look, too? :)

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:44:01 PM

On 11 Jul 2005 15:44:00 GMT, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>:
>> So what you are saying is that we should start referring to you as
>> the Kurgan?
>
>I wonder if Poly goes for the safety-pin look, too? :)

A bald head covered with straight pins is more my style, plus the ability
to make flesh-rending chains shoot out of any wall is nice.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 11:22:11 PM

Eek! pibbur wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>> Eek! pibbur wrote:
<snip>
>> That'll give him too much power. We must have several evil powers, not
>> just one, in order to have a fight among ourselves or the good people
>> will
>> never win.
>>
> But since Optician and me already makes a team (a good one), I think we'll
> be able to cope.
>
> Besides, Poly will be figthing all the appliance makers. That should keep
> him busy for a while.

He has tons of liberals he could fight with already. I am a conservative
who doesn't really care to fight with liberals, because you know you can't
reason with a liberal. ;-p

> The problem with you Ashi, is that you - probably because of your young
> age - don't think these things through. Hm. Another point in favour of
> including you in the new axis of evil. You are very close now.

Me??? I may be relatively younger than you, but I am far beyond my own
age. You'd have to know me well to appreciate the way I do things.
(*slams a refrigerator door at Pibbur*) :-D

> BTW, to keep the balance - Ashi's right there - I think we'll need an axis
> of I-really-don't-care-or-I-couldn't-be-bored-things as well. Suggestions?

Anyone from Southern California would qualify for such....

--
Ashikaga a27
!