Laptop so slow! (Not ram though)

Status
Not open for further replies.

s34n

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I've recently come across a Toshiba Satellite Pro A10... its not great (2.5ghz celeron) but it should be a LOT faster.

Originally, the HDD (30gb) was currupted to the point that a fresh copy on windows wont install (when searching for previous versions of windows)... I then replaced it with the exact same drive (30gb toshiba drive) this works as it came from another working laptop.

I then installed WinXP pro onto the new disc, it took 10 hours! (256mb ram)... a lot of the time was taken through the "copying installation files" phase.

When i woke up in the morning, it had finished finally. I stuck 1gb of ram in assuming it needed more, but MSHearts even lags with a gig of ram (it is registering with the OS too). Mobo and video drivers have been installed.... so im a bit puzzled as to why its so slow... its slower than some 486 systems with 3.11 on them, and celerons arent that bad!

any insight would be helpful

thanks

sean

draylorre

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Drivers? Defragment? Corrupt XP Pro installation? (10 hours seems a little..Erm...Bad.) Run a memtest on it. Get back to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.