Get rid of cheap 512 during upgrade for new 512s?

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
I have been building my current system in piecemeal fashion. I have a PIV 2.4c @ 2.9ghz, an ASUS PIV800 MB, and some cheap (Elixir brand) 512 mb PC3200 RAM. I want to upgrade to 1gig of PC3200 running in dual channel mode (2x512mb). I can either get another stick of the cheap stuff for ~$70 or I could scrap the old RAM and get two good, new sticks of something like Geil or Kingston. So far the cheap RAM has actually worked just fine, even overclocking. My question is whether I would see a noticeable performance boost if I had 1gig of Kingston compared to 1gig of Elixir, assuming both worked without any trouble in dual channel mode. Thanks for the help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Never heard of an Asus PIV800.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sure, it's a good board. I wouldn't replace your RAM if it works.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Yeah, I ordered another stick of 512mb earlier. Hopefully it'll run in dual channel mode without any trouble.