Easy ? about .doc documents

I am enrolled in an online course in college and the instructor has said that
documents sent to her must be a .doc document. I have tried writing and
saving in Wordpad, Notepad, and WordPerfect, but I can't get anything to save
as a .doc document. Usually it saves as a .rtf. It's (.doc) not on any
"save as" menu. I can only seem to find it on the file type menu to open a
document. Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help offered...I have
homework to finish!!

Malke

ElkGrovegirl wrote:

> I am enrolled in an online course in college and the instructor has
> said that documents sent to her must be a .doc document. I have tried
> writing and saving in Wordpad, Notepad, and WordPerfect, but I can't
> get anything to save
> as a .doc document. Usually it saves as a .rtf. It's (.doc) not on
> any "save as" menu. I can only seem to find it on the file type menu
> to open a document. Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help
> offered...I have homework to finish!!

The .doc format is Microsoft Word. Word by itself is a $300 program,
although if you are a student you can get it cheaper. However, I do
believe WordPerfect can save the .doc format. You may need to install
converters for WordPerfect to be able to do this.

A free alternative that will work for you is to get OpenOffice from
www.openoffice.org. It can save in the Word format.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

..doc is the file extension for a WORD document. Use WordPad
or WordPerfect and after you write your document, use the
"save as" command to save a version to send to your teacher.
I do not have WordPerfect but assume that it will offer an
option for a WORD type. WordPad only offers rtf (rich
text) and that can be opened by WORD if the instructor has
set the file association.

Since you are a college student, you can buy the
student/teacher version of Office for about $150 (or less)
and WORD is also part of WORKS Suite for about $100.

some support

In news:ODTbCgGcFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Jim Macklin <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> typed:

> .doc is the file extension for a WORD document. Use WordPad
> or WordPerfect and after you write your document, use the
> "save as" command to save a version to send to your teacher.
> I do not have WordPerfect but assume that it will offer an
> option for a WORD type.

Yes, WordPerfect permits saving as a .doc file (use the Save as
command and choose the format there) in recent versions. At least
WP11 and 12 do. I can't remember about previous versions.

However you have to choose to install the option to do this when
you install WordPerfect. If ElkGrovegirl hasn't done this, she
may have to go back and do it before the option will exist;
that's probably why she can't find it.

She should also note that using a "foreign" format in any program
like this usually works reasonably well only if the formatting is
kept reasonably simple. Converting a complex WordPerfect document
to Word format, or vice versa, often produces results that are
far from pretty.

> WordPad only offers rtf (rich
> text) and that can be opened by WORD if the instructor has
> set the file association.

Yes, but apparently the instructor wants a .doc file, not just
something he can open.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "ElkGrovegirl" <ElkGrovegirl@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message
>> I am enrolled in an online course in college and the
>> instructor has
>> said that documents sent to her must be a .doc document. I
>> have
>> tried writing and saving in Wordpad, Notepad, and WordPerfect,
>> but I
>> can't get anything to save as a .doc document. Usually it
>> saves as a
>> .rtf. It's (.doc) not on any "save as" menu. I can only seem
>> find it on the file type menu to open a document. Any ideas? I
>> would
>> really appreciate any help offered...I have homework to
>> finish!!

Thank you so much...after going back into WorkPerfect I found the menu option
for Microsoft Word in the "open as" menu. I never thought to look there for a
differnet document type option. I really appreciate your time and promt reply!

In news:B0EA8322-CD37-4440-8CD3-D986F0A171DF@microsoft.com,
ElkGrovegirl <ElkGrovegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Thank you so much...after going back into WorkPerfect I found
> the
> menu option for Microsoft Word in the "open as" menu. I never
> thought
> to look there for a differnet document type option. I really
> appreciate your time and promt reply!

"Open as"? There's no "Open as" menu option. I assume you mean
"Save as."

At any rate, glad you found it.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Jim Macklin" wrote:
>
>> ..doc is the file extension for a WORD document. Use WordPad
>> or WordPerfect and after you write your document, use the
>> "save as" command to save a version to send to your teacher.
>> I do not have WordPerfect but assume that it will offer an
>> option for a WORD type. WordPad only offers rtf (rich
>> text) and that can be opened by WORD if the instructor has
>> set the file association.
>>
>> Since you are a college student, you can buy the
>> student/teacher version of Office for about $150 (or less)
>> and WORD is also part of WORKS Suite for about $100.
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>> some support
>> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
>>

>> "ElkGrovegirl" <ElkGrovegirl@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>>> I am enrolled in an online course in college and the
>> instructor has said that
>>> documents sent to her must be a .doc document. I have
>> tried writing and
>>> saving in Wordpad, Notepad, and WordPerfect, but I can't
>> get anything to save
>>> as a .doc document. Usually it saves as a .rtf. It's
>> (.doc) not on any
>>> "save as" menu. I can only seem to find it on the file
>> type menu to open a
>>> document. Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help
>> offered...I have
>>> homework to finish!!

Mr. Blake, you're correct...I actually mis-spoke. I had meant to say "save
as" but I think after searching every which way all through this computer for
what I was looking for I got a bit turned around. These programs are not
something that I have had the chance to use in depth until now. But again I
thank you and everyone else who took the time to post...

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:B0EA8322-CD37-4440-8CD3-D986F0A171DF@microsoft.com,
> ElkGrovegirl <ElkGrovegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > Thank you so much...after going back into WorkPerfect I found
> > the
> > menu option for Microsoft Word in the "open as" menu. I never
> > thought
> > to look there for a differnet document type option. I really
> > appreciate your time and promt reply!
>

> "Open as"? There's no "Open as" menu option. I assume you mean
> "Save as."
>
> At any rate, glad you found it.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
> >
> >> ..doc is the file extension for a WORD document. Use WordPad
> >> or WordPerfect and after you write your document, use the
> >> "save as" command to save a version to send to your teacher.
> >> I do not have WordPerfect but assume that it will offer an
> >> option for a WORD type. WordPad only offers rtf (rich
> >> text) and that can be opened by WORD if the instructor has
> >> set the file association.
> >>
> >> Since you are a college student, you can buy the
> >> student/teacher version of Office for about $150 (or less)
> >> and WORD is also part of WORKS Suite for about $100.
> >>

> >> --
> >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> >> some support
> >> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
> >>

> >> "ElkGrovegirl" <ElkGrovegirl@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote in message
> >> instructor has said that
> >> tried writing and
> >> get anything to save
> >> (.doc) not on any
> >> type menu to open a
> >> offered...I have

Your welcome. See Ken Blake's reply with comments on my
comment.

In news:26C27140-6589-4FA1-8B3E-060D974A5C32@microsoft.com,
ElkGrovegirl <ElkGrovegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Mr. Blake, you're correct...I actually mis-spoke. I had meant
> to say
> "save as" but I think after searching every which way all
> through
> this computer for what I was looking for I got a bit turned
> around.

Thought so, but not a problem. We all do it from time to time.

But no need need for such formality. Just "Ken" is fine with me.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> These programs are not something that I have had the chance to
> use in
> depth until now. But again I thank you and everyone else who
> took the
> time to post...
>
> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:B0EA8322-CD37-4440-8CD3-D986F0A171DF@microsoft.com,
>> ElkGrovegirl <ElkGrovegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> Thank you so much...after going back into WorkPerfect I found
>>> the
>>> menu option for Microsoft Word in the "open as" menu. I never
>>> thought
>>> to look there for a differnet document type option. I really
>>> appreciate your time and promt reply!
>>

>> "Open as"? There's no "Open as" menu option. I assume you mean
>> "Save as."
>>
>> At any rate, glad you found it.
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Works Suite 2005 includes Word 2002.

You can get Works Suite 2005 for a $100, maybe cheaper.

Microsoft® Works Suite 2005
http://www.microsoft.com/PRODUCTS/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=88ef866c-23d8-4105-b196-a3d05a8f7234&type=ovr

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eU4SeoGcFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Malke <notreally@invalid.com> hunted and pecked:
> ElkGrovegirl wrote:
>
>> I am enrolled in an online course in college and the instructor has
>> said that documents sent to her must be a .doc document. I have tried
>> writing and saving in Wordpad, Notepad, and WordPerfect, but I can't
>> get anything to save
>> as a .doc document. Usually it saves as a .rtf. It's (.doc) not on
>> any "save as" menu. I can only seem to find it on the file type menu
>> to open a document. Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help
>> offered...I have homework to finish!!
>
> The .doc format is Microsoft Word. Word by itself is a $300 program,
> although if you are a student you can get it cheaper. However, I do
> believe WordPerfect can save the .doc format. You may need to install
> converters for WordPerfect to be able to do this.
>
> A free alternative that will work for you is to get OpenOffice from
> www.openoffice.org. It can save in the Word format.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

"ElkGrovegirl" <ElkGrovegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am enrolled in an online course in college and the instructor has said
>that
> documents sent to her must be a .doc document. I have tried writing and
> saving in Wordpad, Notepad, and WordPerfect, but I can't get anything to
> save
> as a .doc document. Usually it saves as a .rtf. It's (.doc) not on any
> "save as" menu. I can only seem to find it on the file type menu to open a
> document. Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help offered...I have
> homework to finish!!

Look in Wordperfect for File Save As (NOT Save) Choose Microsoft Word.
If the choice isn't there look at your installation disks to add other
filetypes.

ElkGrovegirl wrote:

> I am enrolled in an online course in college and the instructor has said
> that documents sent to her must be a .doc document. I have tried writing
> and saving in Wordpad, Notepad, and WordPerfect, but I can't get anything
> to save
> as a .doc document. Usually it saves as a .rtf. It's (.doc) not on any
> "save as" menu. I can only seem to find it on the file type menu to open a
> document. Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help offered...I have
> homework to finish!!

Lay a complaint with the college. This is just bullsh*t. If an instructor
insists you provide documents in a proprietary commercial format then
insist that the college provide you with a license for said software so
that you can comply with your instructor's stupid requirements or refund
part of the tution you paid for the course so you can purchase M$ Word.

On top of that, point out that M$ Word .doc files can contain malicious
macros and for security reasons this should not be a requirement for this
course. The instructor should be prepared to accept RTF files as there are
many other editors capable of providing that format and don't require YOU
to go out and purchase a particular commercial product to satisfy your
stupid instructor's wishes. Make a real issue of this with your
instructor's superiors and insist on knowing whether or not that particular
instructor holds any Microsoft shares that would profit him/her directly by
having students forced to use a Microsoft commercial word processor.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:31:06 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>ElkGrovegirl wrote:
>
>> I am enrolled in an online course in college and the instructor has said
>> that documents sent to her must be a .doc document. I have tried writing
>> and saving in Wordpad, Notepad, and WordPerfect, but I can't get anything
>> to save
>> as a .doc document. Usually it saves as a .rtf. It's (.doc) not on any
>> "save as" menu. I can only seem to find it on the file type menu to open a
>> document. Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help offered...I have
>> homework to finish!!
>
>Lay a complaint with the college. This is just bullsh*t. If an instructor
>insists you provide documents in a proprietary commercial format then
>insist that the college provide you with a license for said software so
>that you can comply with your instructor's stupid requirements or refund
>part of the tution you paid for the course so you can purchase M$ Word.
>
>On top of that, point out that M$ Word .doc files can contain malicious
>macros and for security reasons this should not be a requirement for this
>course. The instructor should be prepared to accept RTF files as there are
>many other editors capable of providing that format and don't require YOU
>to go out and purchase a particular commercial product to satisfy your
>stupid instructor's wishes. Make a real issue of this with your
>instructor's superiors and insist on knowing whether or not that particular
>instructor holds any Microsoft shares that would profit him/her directly by
>having students forced to use a Microsoft commercial word processor.

Just relax, Grumpy. There are free programs that will read and write
in Word .doc format. OpenOffice comes to mind. I'm sure you are
familiar with that, linux man.