Fortissimo vs. Santa Cruz

dewalt

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2004
Hello,

I've trawled through the forum but could not find a thread on this topic. I've seen both the Fortissimo 7.1 and Santa Cruz compared to the Audigy, but not to each other.

My question is which is the better card? I have a 5.1 system, so 7.1 isn't a selling point for me. However, the cards are similarly priced, so I'm considering both of them. Which has better sound quality?

I've seen two reports in this forum of the Santa Cruz not outputting the center channel in Call of Duty. Is this a common problem? Do either of these cards have "common problems?"

I will be using the card to watch DVDs and for gaming. I don't know much about sound, so if the following is worded incorrectly, my apologies. But I've heard that in a 5.1 setup, some cards create the center channel by slurring all the others together and spitting it out of the center speaker. Is this true, and if so, do either of these cards do this?

I'd appreciate some insight into this.

Thanks,
dewalt

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Santa Cruz is based on a better chip than the Fortissimo. Unfortunately, the Santa Cruz is older and is said to be showing its age. The drivers say otherwise on Turtle Beach's website but I would go with the Fortissimo simply because TB hasnt been incredibly active in the sound card market lately..

I would consider a sound card based on the VIA Envy chip very, very hard if I were you though.
There is a $25 Chaintech card out on newegg now that has specs similar to the M-Audio Revolution (the best card out now IMO).

I havent seen any reviews for the Chaintech, therefore I'd have to say get the Hercules over it.
But if you have the money, get a Revolution.. they run about $100US.

Ars Technica recommends them for about every system besides their budget system (in which case they make use of the Nforce audio).

If you are going to be doing any kind of 5.1 or DVD viewing I would strongly suggest the M-Audio.

I recently bought one for my meager Logitech Z560 speakers and its the best sound card I've ever used or heard. It is great for gaming unlike what many will say. It does not support hardware sound acceleration (which is going to be a thing of the past soon regardless) and you might lose a maximum of 5fps at a low resolution such as 640x480 (where you'll be getting about 500fps anyway).

Good luck.

----
Yeah, thats right. I support the NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil.

dewalt

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2004
Thanks for the info. Do you (or anyone else reading this) know about the other things I asked about, especially common issues?

I read from a number of sources that the Santa Cruz does true 5.1 for DVDs, but not for games (huh?), so I have ruled out the Santa Cruz. I have not found information about this for the Fortissimo, so I'm not sure what to think. I need someone that knows.

As for anything based on VIA technology, I've got to avoid that. VIA has screwed me over repeatedly.

About the Fortissimo: I read <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com/review/hercules/fortissimo3" target="_new">this</A> at guru3d:
<i>A word of caution, you will almost certainly have to use amplified speakers with the FF3. All of the outputs will distort, even if you use moderate volume, with a low load (in Ohmage) output device. The only output that put out enough juice was the headphone outputs.</i>

Other reviews I have read do not indicate this. This is getting silly. It's so hard to buy one of these things without hearing it first.

How much of this is legitimate and how much is hogwash? For instance, WHO (name someone, go ahead!) whose 5.1/whatever system doesn't use amplified speakers. However, I wouldn't like having to crank the speakers way up in order to get good "oomph," so perhaps this matters.

Someone reading this has a Fortissimo. Please shed some light on this for me! And if anyone else reading knows about the other stuff I've mentioned, don't be a stranger. =) Thanks.

--dewalt

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Yeah, who doesnt use amplified speakers? Thats a ridiculous point. I bet all soundcards will distort horribly if used with unamplified speakers.
I dont like VIA either, also been repeatedly screwed over by them but they aquired their sound processors are actually the best available and their cards use the best DACs.

I dont know about your other questions but sounds like the Fortissimo 3 would be right up your alley.

----

dewalt

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2004
Thanks, Kinney. Given my budget, hatred for VIA and Creative, and <A HREF="http://www.slcentral.com/reviews/hardware/sound/turtlebeach/santacruz/page4.php" target="_new">lack of true 5.1 in games</A> from the Santa Cruz, I've pretty much decided on the Fortissimo.

Here's a quote from <A HREF="http://www.overclockersonline.com/?page=articles&num=158&pnum=2" target="_new">another review that does not state the obvious</A>. For those of you considering the Fortissimo, this should be the final convincing you need:

<i>Playing an MP3 through the Fortissimo III 7.1 went totally as planned.</i>

Hoooo boy! Are you excited? I'M EXCITED!

--dewalt

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
LOL
Thats one less worry.

Its good to see another anti Creative person (as if we are in the minority or something). So many think Audigy2s are the best thing since sliced bread.. yeah I remember hearing that when the Live came out, and the Audigy1. Had them all, they all suck.
Hercules has always been equal or better and M-Audio (though using a VIA chip) is PROFESSIONAL audio reaching down into Creatives playpen of traditionally cheap junk.
M-Audio is essentially making the sound card that has the whole point to a aftermarket soundcard, great sound. It doesnt rely on gimmicks like EAX.

I've never heard anything RUIN my gaming experience more than EAX technology.
DirectSound 3D sounds fine to my ears (its the basis of EAX object positioning anyway, EAX is strictly reverb).
Once I educated myself in the sound card market I found that the Fortissimo 3, or Revolution actually isnt "less" as Creative would want you to believe.

Creative thinks that DS3D is "good enough" for their customers and so I agree. I dont need EAX or whatever else they peddle like so many cheap trinkets.
DS3D is "good enough for me". :smile:

Good luck with the Fortissimo.

----

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
BTW if you can pull together the $100.. strongly reconsider giving VIA audio another chance.
If the Nvidia Soundstorm was out (it is PCIX only due to being MUCH more advanced than PCI can support) I'd recommend that, and I'd keep an eye out for it. Its what I'm going to be buying for my gaming rig.

I also hate VIA (had the KT133/KT133A/KT266/KT266A) which I had constant problems with but this card isnt going to give your system problems. I would nearly guarantee satisfaction.
I think you would like it more than the Hercules.

The popular opinion is about 50% Revolution and 50% Audigy 2ZS, with the educated side choosing the Revolution and marketing the other.
Just wanted to give you a final plea.

----