Wired xbox 360 controller freezes games

bogus666

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Ok, so I've researched this problem extensively, and have not come up with much. A lot of the articles online are from years ago and the few solutions that are posted don't work. So I'm resorting to posting on here in hopes someone has a more recent fix to for this.

I have an official Microsoft wired xbox 360 controller. I've tried using it on FIFA 12, Arkham City, and Saints Row 3. Every time I get to the game and use the controller it freezes the game and will not unfreeze until I unplug the controller. The thing is, windows recognizes the controller in the device manager and I can use it to browse the games' menus before starting the game. I have the "official" microsoftdrivers downloaded from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/xbox-360-controller-for-windows#support

I've tried uniinstalling all drivers related to the controller, all the HID compliant devices, restarting the system, disabling driver signing enforcement, reinstalling Microsoft's drivers. But every time I plug the controller in, it installs these motionjoy drivers automatically, and still freezes the game. Also I noticed my mouse becomes jerky when I move it while the controller is plugged in. This problem is ridiculous to me, because I know that the xbox 360 wireless controller works perfectly fine with games, since my roomie has a wireless USB hub for a wireless xbox controller and I've tested it with the same games. It blows my mind that a Microsoft product is not compatible with another Microsoft product, but I will reserve that rant for another time. And by the way my comp is good enough to play these games as I can play them just fine using mouse and keyboard. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

gamers_hell6670

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I had the very same problem on my new wired Xbox 360 controller yesterday. It took me a while to figure out it was Motion in Joy that was the root of the problem. Here's how I got rid of it.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/help/uninstall

Follow the instructions in 'Uninstall the DS3 Tool and the MiJ driver files'.

Uninstalling Motion in Joy from the control panel alone wont take it away. :)

After uninstalling MiJ, I reinstalled my Xbox accessories drivers, plugged in my controller, and voila, I was good to go.

One point to note is that, when the xbox controller doesnot function properly, all four of its lights keep blinking, probably indicating a communication error. When done properly, only a quadrant on the side of player1(top left) lights up. If you've got it this way, you're good to go. :)

Good Luck and Happy Gaming mate. :)