Windows 7 overpriced

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I am not proud to say but I was running a version of windows that would not let me get most of the updates, I wont say anything more, hey atleast im being honest? lol.. Anyway I got really sick of not being able to get updates to the point where I am ready to buy it, I thought that it was around 70-80$ because when it first came out I have some friends and family who got it for like 50-80$ I didn't realize that they got a special deal, I go to look at the prices, 140-200$??!?!! I was about ready to buy it when I saw the price, I know its worth it to a lot of people who can afford it but money is scarce after paying all my bills. I am running windows vista 64 bit that came with my dell that I used to have and I recently just switched back to it from w7, it is depressing not having windows7 anymore. So I was wondering if there are any deals out there right now, or in the near future where windows 7 will be cheaper, I honestly think microsoft would have a lot less pirates if they dropped the price a bit even to like 80$ or 90$ I could buy a new cpu and motherboard for the price of windows 7 lol.

What are your thoughts on this? please dont talk smack.

Thanks..

oh and 1 more thing, what are the performance differences between vista 64 and 7 64?? is it much?

Everyone wishes Windows was cheaper... but you'll find little sympathy if you pirate. I took advantage of the pre-order discount while it was available... it was just too good a deal to pass up. Unfortunately, deals like that don't last forever.

On modern hardware with at least 4GB of RAM, you won't notice a great difference in performance... at least not in my opinion. I found performance to be about the same on both my desktop and laptop. With older hardware, Windows 7 will likely have the edge.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The reason I chose to run it illegally was to see whether or not it was worth purchasing, I had no idea the prices were going to go up, I normally dont run pirated software, I actually intended on running it for the 30 day trial but I ended up making it genuine and decided to keep doing it until I can afford it, which for its asking price I cant.

The Beta, RC, and 90 day RTM versions were released for exactly this reason. So you could have used one of those legally without resorting to a pirated version.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
agreed with herr_koos and isamuelson this is why drm exists and why pc gaming is going on the decline but atleast microsoft was nice enough to release a beta to pcers unlike alot of gaming companies now adays

Microsoft, like any for-profit company, has the right to charge a reasonable price for their products in order re-coup the hundreds of millions of $$$ used for research and development, earn a good profit and have money to plow back into even more research and development for future products. Additionally, they are a publicly trade company therefore shareholders (people who own Microsoft stock) expect a decent profit from their investment which usually higher stock price than what they paid and also quarterly dividends.

As with anything and everything, there are wants and there are needs. You need to pay your bills, therefore that is where your money should go. You want a new OS for your PC, you do not need a new OS for your PC. If you have a legal copy of Windows XP or Windows Vista, then re-install it. Save up money where you can so that you can purchase a legal copy of Windows 7 when you have the money.

Don't own a legal copy of any OS? Then continue to use your cracked OS until you have the money to buy a legal copy I suppose.

I only played one game that took advantage of DX10, that was Crysis. The most recent game I purchased was Fallout 3 which is a DX9 game. I'm still playing some older games like X2 - The Threat (nostalgia I suppose), X3 - Reunion and Galactic Civilization 2. I still have yet to play X3 - Terran Conflict which I own. All of those games are DX9.

The only game so far on my 2010 buy list is Fallout: New Vegas. If time permits I might buy Mass Effect 2 and / or Dragon Age Origin. Doubtful since I gotta work to pay bills and I like to see my friends every now and then..

Currently evaluating Win 7 on my HTPC. Recently used that trick to extend the "trial period" by another 30 days; I've read it Win 7's "trial period" can be extended by a maximum of 90 days before registration is absolutely required. I'm pretty sure I will upgrade before then. The question is do I upgrade both my PC with Win 7 Home Premium Retail at the same time for roughly $360 - $400.

I dislike OEM OSes; I really don't wanna call MS every time I wanna re-install for whatever reason.

So why didn't you run the RC? That's a pretty lame excuse for pirating. If you can't afford something you don't steal it.

paigeinfull

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
My computer is legit I could show you the receipt for my copy of windows 7 if you would like. I just think its horrible how some have completely chastised this guy and others because they do one thing wrong. None of you have ever done anything wrong? Don't act like you're better than other people especially if you don't know the person

isamuelson

Distinguished
@paigeinfull, regardless of what one may or may not have done in the past, it's still wrong. Sure he was truthful and that's one thing. But his excuse for WHY he was using a pirated version does NOT justify the means, especially when Microsoft had released the RC version to everyone. That is the main point many of us are trying to make.

And then, Microsoft made it known WAY before the release date that you could pre-order Windows 7 for half-price. It didn't last one or two weeks. It was for months before the actual release date.

Kudos to him for finally becoming legit with Windows 7. However, he's still running an illegal copy. And look at the rules of this board: no asking for pirated copies of software, asking for keys, etc.

There is no justifiable excuse for it. Period. I commend the guy for having the guts to come in here and admit that he used a pirated copy of Windows 7 and now wants to purchase it legally. I still condemn the use of said pirated copy.

No one is being "holier than thou". This forum has never and will never be a place to find support for pirated software. Just because the rest of us aren't ordained ministers doesn't mean we can't call someone else out for doing something illegal. No one is passing judgement... we merely state that you use pirated software at your own risk. Do not expect support and certainly don't look for assitance pirating other software. No one was being "harsh"... it was a simple matter of explaining the reality of the situation he helped create.

I'm actually quite impressed with the ethical values of the folks here, it's one of the reasons I like Tom's.

I haven't really seen any overly mean comments. He's running a pirated copy and he thinks it's too expensive to buy. It's really no more expensive than Vista or XP was, what did he think he was getting himself into?

He's made a conscious choice to do the wrong thing - if he corrects it then he'll get kudos, otherwise he'll get more criticism. It's really up to him.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I didn't know anything about a RC, I for sure would have installed it if I knew about it, I am not going to even defend myself here, I don't feel a need too. I probably shouldn't have even made that post in a professional forum like THG, I wasn't thinking straight, it is a huge temptation to run an os that is far superior to vista when all you need to do is a few simple things. I just purchased w7 from best buy, if I would have not ran windows 7 I probably wouldn't have purchased it because I wouldn't have wasted time if I knew I needed to pay for it. Still It's wrong I know, but look microsoft has another customer? I never really intended on making an excuse I was just explaining what thought made me do what I did. If it was a excuse trying to make myself feel better about it it would have been pretty immature and stupid.

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

I dont want or need sympathy I know what I did

> I just purchased w7 from best buy

Good for you!

> I would have not ran windows 7 I probably wouldn't have purchased it because I wouldn't have wasted time if I knew I needed to pay for it.

I'm having a hard time understanding this - did you think it was free?

If so, then I really, really need to warn you about those DVD of the month clubs... ;)

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I didn't think it was free, but I didn't know it was going to be 120, I havent purchased a os that didnt come with the systems I have had in the past, I have always used the vista that came with my old dell and xp that came with my first system

Status
Not open for further replies.