Sign in with
Your question

Need Laptop Advice < $800

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 2, 2007 5:22:37 AM

Summary:
I basically am looking for the best value laptop that has a Core 2 Duo CPU and a gig of ram. Price is really no object, but let's try to keep it under $800 unless there's a great deal. Any suggestions?

Usage:
1.) Programming. Must be able to run Visual Studio well, and compile fast!
2.) Mobility. I'd like to be able to stick it in my fiancee's purse if possible.
10.) Gaming. I listed gaming as #10 because the games I play are so old, they'd run well even with an integrated graphics card. Plus only any idiot would game on a laptop over a desktop with a CRT.
11.) Battery. Pretty much doesn't matter - it'll be plugged in most of the time.
20.) Operating system. It will likely be stripped down, and Windows XP + Linux installed. Windows Vista would be a plus to play with before stripped.

Side Question:
If my laptop happens to come with Windows Vista, is it true that Vista renders the Desktop in DirectX? If so, is there a significant concern of performance loss of using an Integrated graphics card with Vista? I don't know anything about Vista, so any input would help (e.g., if you can turn Desktop rendering off, etc).

Gratuity:
Thanks in advance!

More about : laptop advice 800

November 2, 2007 10:40:18 PM

Best bet would be to go to dell.com and configure a 1400, 1500, or 1700 series, the numbers refer to the size of the screen. Unless you girlfriend uses a laptop case for a purse, not likely any of them will fit
December 3, 2007 3:43:53 PM

check out Acer Aspire series as well ..
December 3, 2007 6:28:52 PM

I would say Acer too....

I have 2 Acers...and they both served me well....

on top of that....Acer does not have any preinstalled application....which is good in a certain way....
!