Formatting the hd after Win Xp

I've formatted many hard disks in dos, Win 95 and Win98, basically I started
the computer in system mode or used a rescue disk and typed Format c:. In
Win Xp there is no such option (system mode I mean). I tried to create a
disk but the instructions say to copy the ntdetect.com and vtldr files to it
and also the boot.ini. I did not find those files on my computer. I copied
from another computer with apparently a different xp version but the disk
did not work I got some error messages about not being able to boot.

So can anyone please tell me how, if I have Win Xp, I format the hard disk
if I want to?

Thanks

JeJ
4 answers Last reply
More about formatting

    To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
    the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
    delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
    the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
    install.

    Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
    connecting to any network.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Jorge E. Jaramillo wrote:
    > I've formatted many hard disks in dos, Win 95 and Win98, basically I started
    > the computer in system mode or used a rescue disk and typed Format c:. In
    > Win Xp there is no such option (system mode I mean). I tried to create a
    > disk but the instructions say to copy the ntdetect.com and vtldr files to it
    > and also the boot.ini. I did not find those files on my computer. I copied
    > from another computer with apparently a different xp version but the disk
    > did not work I got some error messages about not being able to boot.
    >
    > So can anyone please tell me how, if I have Win Xp, I format the hard disk
    > if I want to?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > JeJ

    A boot diskette is a thing of the past, as all legitimate WinXP
    installation CDs are already bootable.

    After having backed up or otherwise safe-guarded/preserved any
    important data files, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll
    be offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as
    part of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order
    of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Thanks Dave and Bruce. I guess I should have checked my Win Xp literature
    before asking. Bootable Cd's what else will the future bring?

    JeJ

    In news:%239lXUSHcFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Jorge E. Jaramillo <king1george@nospamhotmail.com> replied with a ;-)
    > I've formatted many hard disks in dos, Win 95 and Win98, basically I
    > started the computer in system mode or used a rescue disk and typed
    > Format c:. In Win Xp there is no such option (system mode I mean). I
    > tried to create a disk but the instructions say to copy the
    > ntdetect.com and vtldr files to it and also the boot.ini. I did not
    > find those files on my computer. I copied from another computer with
    > apparently a different xp version but the disk did not work I got
    > some error messages about not being able to boot.
    > So can anyone please tell me how, if I have Win Xp, I format the hard
    > disk if I want to?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > JeJ

    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    Format XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
    --