SP2, IE & Firefox Questions

Last response: in Video Games
July 20, 2005 1:55:40 AM

Well, you knew this had to be coming some day, didn't you? I was
trying to leave everyone alone with my questions, but now I have a
work issue so I don't have the choice to ignore some things anymore.

So, yes, another of my loooong messages.

For those unaware, I tutor online and we use this whiteboard thing.
And I'm the one who had to figure out for the support people that the
reason this one plugin wouldn't work is cause their certificate
expired two years ago. So I would feel much more comfortable asking
here first before having to deal with them. Besides, they spend too
much time giving me stupid verbatim instructions instead of explaining
stuff.

They got a new whiteboard, just as everything was going smoothly with
the other one. Grrr. Damn sales people. This one now uses flash
instead of java. It does still use a popup. I'm the one who's had
the biggest problem with it, and after three weeks I can now get into
someone *else's* board but can't seem to open my own board. They keep
telling me it's my popup blocker.

OK, well, so yes I had the popup blocker on, in IE that is. I pretty
much have to use IE for this thing. (I use Firefox for nearly
everything else now.) They list two URL's I have to put into the
exception list, but it doesn't work. Ctrl overrides the blocker and
that doesn't work. So I just turned the thing off, and it's *still*
giving a message that it's blocking a popup. (And this is not only
after properly refreshing all pages, but days later after rebooting
several times, etc.)

I've also noticed a problem with AIM, which we have to use for work.
I originally couldn't get it to work with Firefox. I remember Poly
going there and getting it to work fine, so I went back and suddenly
it worked. I remember saying, "I didn't change anything, really I
didn't." Well, I didn't. And then suddenly one day it doesn't work
with Firefox again. And then suddenly it does work again. And now,
just when it had worked a few days before, it doesn't work again. Oh,
wait, I forgot. Yes, today it was working again when it wasn't
Saturday. And, no, I have *not* been screwing with any settings. It
really *is* just doing this back and forth on some whim or something.

So back to AIM with IE. This is also an off & on thing about whether
it wants to work. Right now it too is telling me I have a popup
blocker on. (Despite the fact that the login screen is a popup and it
works just fine.) And I put that in my exception list too and that
didn't work. Turned the blocker off and it doesn't work. This
happened on the same night that I couldn't get the whiteboard to open
for the same reason.

So I IM the tech guy today. (This part is just for amusement's sake.)
And he said he didn't have time to work with me right now, but was
going to email a quick suggestion to try. This is after I've
explained to him all of the above. He emails me the following
suggestion:
Go into IE.
1. Tools on the menu
3. Privacy tab
4. Make sure Popup Blocker at bottom of page is unchecked.

Thank you very much, that was SOOOO useful. When I said I'd turned
the popup blocker off, I MEANT IT.

Er, moving on....

That's the main current thing. Oh, I was able to get the whiteboard
to work in Netscape. I can resort to that if I get desperate but
don't really want yet another damn browser on here. (Besides, the
thing doesn't fit on the screen and I can't get Full Screen to work in
Netscape. Anyone familiar with NS and know why?)

But... just as a note. I've had other similar problems. I've been to
sites that just won't let me in and scream at me over the security
settings. I'll try everything, even going as far as turning the
security all the way to low. And I can't figure what the hell they're
looking for. Sometimes I can't do things on my own computer cause it
tells me I don't have privileges when I'm admin. For instance, I
never was able to install *any* of the McAfee AV's I had for this
reason. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

But really, right now, I just gotta get that whiteboard working. It
seems that there's settings "hiding" somewhere that I can't figure
out. And this has all been since I got SP2.

It did occur to my brother -- are IE and Firefox not playing nice
together?

--

Erimess Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

d++e+NT++Om UK!1!2!3!A!L!
U+uCuFuG+++uLB+uA+ nC+nH+nP+nS++nT-xa2

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05

More about : sp2 firefox questions

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:29:21 AM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:43:41 -0400, erimess wrote:

>>So you've tried fully disabling the popup blocker, then clearing your Temp
>>Inet cache Files, rebooted and it still didn't work? You've tried adding
>>the site to your list of Trusted Sites in IE? How about going to Internet
>>options>Advanced tab>Security>checkmark the Allow Active Content to Run in
>>My Computer?
>
>Not that last one. My brother did mention the stuff in the advanced
>tab, but I don't know what most of it is. I'll re-set everything,
>turn that on, reboot and try in a minute here. You'd think if it
>was something like that, these tech people would have to tell
>*everyone* this.

OK, did some experimenting. (Updated and ran all the spyware/AV stuff
first just for fun. Usual cookies.) Which consisted of re-setting
everything on IE to default, except leaving the popup blocker off.
Deleted cache. Rebooted. Tried AIM first. Popup blocker message.

Deleted cache. Rebooted. Tried work. Still not working.

Started over (delete cache, reboot), left blocker off, and clicked on
that allow active whatever it says in the advanced tab. Back to work.
Still doesn't work so that made zero difference.

I actually did more experiments than that, but the rest don't matter.

Oh, and during all this, left the firewall off, and ICQ and Avast were
running. I had nothing else running. I did turn off the ICQ once
just for the hell of it but didn't make any difference. And I won't
turn off the Avast so too bad.

There is another strange thing. The icon for the blocker and the
choices you have when it blocks and the message across the top of the
screen... just the whole way it works, doesn't work that way for the
whiteboard. Even when I just turn the blocker on so that I can click
on that icon and tell it to allow that site, the icon doesn't even
stay and won't let me click on it. And the message is in the wrong
place. It's just strange.

I'm also having this vague memory. The thing with Firefox not being
able to make up its mind whether to work with AIM or not has been
going on since that last reinstall. I remember posting about it, and
I also had to make sure everything for work was working properly and I
had all this new stuff to deal with.

However, I do recall once when I turned the popup blocker off for
whatever reason. Then I couldn't get into the board at work. The URL
was still in the exception list but it was off. I don't recall
whether I just turned it back on and the exception URL thing came into
play, or I'm thinking I deleted the entire exception list cause I was
having trouble and kept the thing turned off. After all, I use IE at
very few places and don't get ads and such at those places. But it
seems to me something went screwy back then.

I'm starting to have a bad gut feeling about reinstalling Windows...

Oh, opinion please. I was on eBay looking at image software. I know
you like Ghost 8, which I'm finding difficult to find, cause now 9 is
out. Sometimes newer versions aren't better. I also never did like
other Norton stuff. Several weeks back was looking at PQ's Drive
Image 7, except it's now Norton and I seem to be having a hard time
finding it too. I also noticed it requires .NET Framework and I don't
know what that is. There's also Ghost 2003 which appears to be for XP
but I haven't quite figured that out.

OK, I've had quite enough of this...

--

Erimess Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

d++e+NT++Om UK!1!2!3!A!L!
U+uCuFuG+++uLB+uA+ nC+nH+nP+nS++nT-xa2

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 7:11:14 PM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 06:29:21 -0400, erimess wrote:

>I'm starting to have a bad gut feeling about reinstalling Windows...

Well, it's only an hour of time. How long have you been rebooting and
fiddling now?

>Oh, opinion please. I was on eBay looking at image software. I know
>you like Ghost 8, which I'm finding difficult to find, cause now 9 is
>out. Sometimes newer versions aren't better. I also never did like
>other Norton stuff. Several weeks back was looking at PQ's Drive
>Image 7, except it's now Norton and I seem to be having a hard time
>finding it too. I also noticed it requires .NET Framework and I don't
>know what that is. There's also Ghost 2003 which appears to be for XP
>but I haven't quite figured that out.
>
>OK, I've had quite enough of this...

Your choices are:
1. DOS version of Ghost. When you want to image or restore you boot off
a floppy disk.
2. Drive Image/Ghost 9/Ghost 2003/Ghost etc. - Windows version. Drive
Image and Ghost are now the same thing. They run in the background so you
can do incremental (or just mental as I call them) backups.
3. Acronis TrueImage. Windows version also. Runs in the background,
etc.

I like the DOS version of Ghost 8.0. Very easy and reliable. Doesn't
take up resources when Windows is running. Can image other operating
systems if you have them installed.

The best way, if you're going to reinstall and all that, is to use a small
system partition separate from your data/program/game/etc partition(s).
That way you can image just the core of Windows and restore it if needed
without imaging all the bulky data, games, etc. If you have a second
physical drive then you can just image your system drive to a file on the
second drive. You can use a logical drive too but if it's on the same
physical drive as the logical drive you're imaging, then it will be slower
to image and restore.

The difference between imaging just a partition and an entire drive is
that an image of the partition won't contain the MBR (master boot record)
so partition info like which partition is active won't be stored in the
image. If you ever restore just a partition image and find you can't boot
that usually means you just need to set the boot drive to be active again.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:11:14 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 06:29:21 -0400, erimess wrote:
>
>>I'm starting to have a bad gut feeling about reinstalling Windows...
>
>Well, it's only an hour of time. How long have you been rebooting and
>fiddling now?

Too long. Actually, I spent two hours with the tech guy on chat
today. We were even in the registry messing around. We did find a
work-around. Take me longer and a bit of hassle but it works. We
don't know why *everything* works fine except when I try to open my
own room from the training area.

His opinion is not to reinstall Windows at this point. I think he's
hoping to figure out what's wrong. (Maybe he's just anal that way.)
Since I'm tired of looking at the computer and have a major headache
at this point, it's *really* easy to just agree with him. :-)

In fact, I'm going to do what's known as ignoring the issue and go
take a nap.

--

!