Advent large speakers, need upgrade advice

Last response: in Home Audio
June 26, 2005 7:29:10 AM

Hello,

I have 2 large Advent speakers, a Pioneer SX1010 receiver/amp, and a
Sony belt-drive turntable. What is the best way to upgrade my system,
keeping the Advents? Should I get a Phase Linear 700? If I did how
should I hook it up? I have seen the article about the Double Advents
but I am not sure I want to do that. Should I get a Technics 1200 or
1210 turntable?

Thanks,

Kenaan
June 26, 2005 7:26:43 PM

The Technics 1200 is a very nice table for the money.

I'd discourage the idea about the Phase Linear 700. It's a
very old power amp (35 years or so) and may be difficult
to obtain parts. I've also heard rumors they can self-distruct.

If you're interested in a power amp upgrade look into a
more recent Rotel, Adcom, NAD or one of the mid-line
power amps. My stereo system is all Mark Levinson, but
I bought a Rotel 1075 five channel power amp for my
5.1 surround system for a home theater and have been very
happy with it. They make a nice product at a competitive
price. You can either buy new or if looking for a bargain
look at eBay or Audiogon.

"kenaan" <kenaan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 9l7e602q87@news2.newsguy.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 large Advent speakers, a Pioneer SX1010 receiver/amp, and a
> Sony belt-drive turntable. What is the best way to upgrade my system,
> keeping the Advents? Should I get a Phase Linear 700? If I did how
> should I hook it up? I have seen the article about the Double Advents
> but I am not sure I want to do that. Should I get a Technics 1200 or
> 1210 turntable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kenaan
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:57:04 PM

"kenaan" <kenaan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 9l7e602q87@news2.newsguy.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 large Advent speakers, a Pioneer SX1010 receiver/amp, and a
> Sony belt-drive turntable. What is the best way to upgrade my system,
> keeping the Advents? Should I get a Phase Linear 700? If I did how
> should I hook it up? I have seen the article about the Double Advents
> but I am not sure I want to do that. Should I get a Technics 1200 or
> 1210 turntable?

I'd trade the Pioneer for a set of separates that makes good tuners and has
a good phono section....probably NAD. Then listen to your phono via this
setup, and see how it sounds to you. If phono is main source of your
enjoyment, then trade up to perhaps a Project 7 turntable and cartridge.

Doubling the Advents does work to open up imaging, but a single pair on
stands can sound very fine. I'd worry about that last (if at all).

JM2CW
June 27, 2005 5:49:34 AM

kenaan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 large Advent speakers, a Pioneer SX1010 receiver/amp, and a
> Sony belt-drive turntable. What is the best way to upgrade my system,
> keeping the Advents? Should I get a Phase Linear 700? If I did how
> should I hook it up? I have seen the article about the Double Advents
> but I am not sure I want to do that. Should I get a Technics 1200 or
> 1210 turntable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kenaan

The first question is, why do you want to upgrade? If you're looking
for better sound generally, either the turntable or the speakers are
candidates. Assuming the Pioneer is still in good working order, you
are unlikely to get much bang for your buck replacing it, especially
given the rest of your system.

"A Sony belt-drive turntable" is pretty vague. Which one, how old, what
cartridge, and how old is that? From the age of your receiver, I'm
guessing the answer to two of those questions is, "Very old." In that
case, that's the thing I would replace first. But recommendations would
depend on your budget, which you haven't specified.

Turntable aside, I'd replace the speakers before I'd replace the
receiver. (And that's not to dis the speakers, BTW.)

bob
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:49:17 PM

jav wrote:
> The Technics 1200 is a very nice table for the money.

If you're talking about the Technics Sl-1200MK2 or or 5, yeah, that's a
great and legendary DJ turntable, with emphasis on the word DJ:)

CD
!