Sign in with
Your question

256, 512, 1024?

Last response: in Memory
January 19, 2004 7:54:09 PM

Currently all the reviews either run with 256 or 512 for memory tests. This is nice, but what about 1024mb? If computer speed goes up as you get larger, wouldn't it be logical to move from 512 to 1024 as the top performance for a computer. Thats what I would think, but it could offer some sort of hindering factor. One thing I do know is that there is hardly any 1gb memory out there so reliable memory could be an issue. So my real question is, if you could get pc3200 memory in 1024mb memory, then why not? Also I think maybe Tom's Hardware should do an article on this subject.

More about : 256 512 1024

January 20, 2004 10:18:36 AM

they have done articles about that, and most of the time when using 1Gb of total system RAM it is in 512mb modules.. system speed is not a determining factor for the amount of RAM needed - RAM use is dependant upon user tasks (active and background programs) and not on CPU speed. To be specific with WinXP, it requires a minimum of 256mb of RAM for basic functionality, though increased performance is seen when using 512mb. Intense users are benefited when using 1Gb of RAM as well, but only if need be (due to multi-tasking or running large programs such as photo/music/video editing software, 3d-design programs and graphic intense games).

<b>and now for something comepletely different</b>

...<i><b><A HREF="http://bytethiscomputers.sytes.net/site/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b></i>
January 20, 2004 10:44:16 PM

Your post did help, but I was talking about 1gig in one slot. I see your point with programs that will never use that much, but just for the sake of performance would one dimm of 1024mb memory be a little or a whole lot better than one dimm of 512mb. This question makes much more sense with the single channel athlon 64.
Related resources
January 21, 2004 12:10:41 AM

In some cases like chipsets that can take advantage of dual channel memory the opposite is true. Two 512Mb sticks are a bit faster than a single 1024Mb stick.

Beam me up Scotty.
January 21, 2004 1:57:42 AM

well, like i said it depends on the user - in a WinXP environment though, 1Gb or RAM is the most performant (regardless of it being 1 module of 1Gb or 2 modules of 512mb).. more than that can actually be detrimental to performance if it is unneeded

<b>and now for something comepletely different</b>

...<i><b><A HREF="http://bytethiscomputers.sytes.net/site/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b></i>
!