Movie makes of the World!!!

Please, for all that is good and holy, hire someone who is actually fluent
in the target language and knowledgeable about grammar when you decide to
create subtitles. Geez!!

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:29:28 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Please, for all that is good and holy, hire someone who is actually fluent
>in the target language and knowledgeable about grammar when you decide to
>create subtitles. Geez!!

Er, that should be "Movie makers". D'oh.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>:

> Please, for all that is good and holy, hire someone who is
> actually fluent in the target language and knowledgeable about
> grammar when you decide to create subtitles. Geez!!

What you say!

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Polychromic wrote:

> Please, for all that is good and holy, hire someone who is actually fluent
> in the target language and knowledgeable about grammar when you decide to
> create subtitles. Geez!!

That reminds me of some instructions for a folding box my grandfather got
as a Christmas gift once:

"First you both the longsides unfold, then the both transverse walls
descend thusly. Now everything is OK!"

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 02:29:28 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Please, for all that is good and holy, hire someone who is actually
> fluent
> in the target language and knowledgeable about grammar when you decide to
> create subtitles. Geez!!

All your base are belong to us.

--
pibbur

wrote:

> Please, for all that is good and holy, hire someone who is actually
> fluent
> in the target language and knowledgeable about grammar when you decide to
> create subtitles. Geez!!

What's even worse in my opinion is when for non-native actors, playing
natives of a foreign country try to speak that language.

One example, there are others, is the X-files episode where the action
takes place near the norwegian town "Tildeskan" (I wonder where that one
is). The norwegian isn't exactly state of the art.

I'm sure dragons of other languages have similar experiences. AFAIR, there
was this austrian actor playing the hero in a couple of action movies.

--
pibbur dragon, who promises he'll be back

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth pibbur <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill>:
> All your base are belong to us.

Great minds think alike. :)

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:32:04 -0400, "Lord Vashnu Dragon"
<lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Ooh, and come to think of it, Peter Stormare also played The Devil in
>Constantine. I can't for the life of me remember if he uttered anything
>swedish in that one though. I should go rent it, released today, wasn't it?

I'm pretty sure he didn't say anything. He didn't really have a very
large role though. Kind of gained a bit of weight hasn't he? Hmmmm. I
don't think he said anything in 8mm either.

>But, there are of course times when I get annoyed when people who clearly
>can't speak swedish still are supposed to do so in the movie. Bleh.

In Splash, is it supposed to be Swedish that John Candy has learned from
porn films that he uses to bluff his way past the guards at one point?

If I make a film that needs dubbing or whatever, I plan to have lots of
Easter eggs. The actor will be doing the actions of, for instance,
robbing a bank, but the dubbing will be the words of someone ordering a
pizza, etc. :)

--

Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>Please, for all that is good and holy, hire someone who is actually fluent
>in the target language and knowledgeable about grammar when you decide to
>create subtitles. Geez!!

Yep.

The opposite can be seen here:

http://www.muffindomain.com/index.php?page=anime.html

Words to the wise, pibbur <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

>I'm sure dragons of other languages have similar experiences. AFAIR, there
>was this austrian actor playing the hero in a couple of action movies.

There is this weird rumor that the "terrorists" for "true lies" are
actually talking in german, in the english version at least :>

I have yet to see the original version of that one to be sure about
it.

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:21:42 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>Words to the wise, pibbur <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
>
>>I'm sure dragons of other languages have similar experiences. AFAIR, there
>>was this austrian actor playing the hero in a couple of action movies.
>
>There is this weird rumor that the "terrorists" for "true lies" are
>actually talking in german, in the english version at least :>
>
>I have yet to see the original version of that one to be sure about
>it.

No, that would be a bit too obvious. If I knew Farsi I could tell for
certain but it sounded okay to me. I think we're past the cliche of
having German Nazis as the bad guys in every action movie. For the next
few decades it will be arab terrorists. (See what Back to the Future hath
wrought?)

--

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:22:05 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:32:04 -0400, "Lord Vashnu Dragon"
><lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>Ooh, and come to think of it, Peter Stormare also played The Devil in
>>Constantine. I can't for the life of me remember if he uttered anything
>>swedish in that one though. I should go rent it, released today, wasn't it?
>
>I'm pretty sure he didn't say anything. He didn't really have a very
>large role though. Kind of gained a bit of weight hasn't he? Hmmmm. I
>don't think he said anything in 8mm either.
>
>>But, there are of course times when I get annoyed when people who clearly
>>can't speak swedish still are supposed to do so in the movie. Bleh.
>
>In Splash, is it supposed to be Swedish that John Candy has learned from
>porn films that he uses to bluff his way past the guards at one point?
>
>If I make a film that needs dubbing or whatever, I plan to have lots of
>Easter eggs. The actor will be doing the actions of, for instance,
>robbing a bank, but the dubbing will be the words of someone ordering a
>pizza, etc. :)
So you must be a MST3K fan huh? I was sorry to see Sci-Fi take it off
on Saturday mornings.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"That's the great thing about being dumb -
You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
-"Frog" from Best Of The West

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:08:07 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>>If I make a film that needs dubbing or whatever, I plan to have lots of
>>Easter eggs. The actor will be doing the actions of, for instance,
>>robbing a bank, but the dubbing will be the words of someone ordering a
>>pizza, etc. :)
>So you must be a MST3K fan huh? I was sorry to see Sci-Fi take it off
>on Saturday mornings.

Nope, never watched any other than to decide it wasn't worth my time.
There's plenty of good scifi to watch without spending time watching and
then ridiculing the known bad stuff.

--

"Samurai" <nospam@dev.nul> wrote in message
> Quoth pibbur <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill>:
> > All your base are belong to us.
>
> Great minds think alike. :)

And now..

"! Todos su estation son de nosotros !" ~ Spanish Translation ^_^

--

The Cast