Win 7 won't boot, even in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equilibrium31

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I have a home-built PC that will not boot into Windows. The computer was working fine until one day when I returned from work and found that it would not wake up from sleep mode. With no other option available, I did a hard reset. I was given the prompt to load into windows safe mode since the pc wasn't shut down correctly, but chose the normal load. However, the system stopped at the Starting Windows animated logo. After waiting, I did a hard reset and chose to load into safe mode. However, when at the "Loading System Files" screen, the process gets stuck after "Loaded: \Windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS.

I have searched various forums and have found other users with this or similar problems, but their solutions have not worked for me. So far, this is what I have tried:

- Changing BIOS settings to Fail-Safe Defaults as well as loading back into Optimized Defaults

- Running a memory disc for a memory check: memory test returned no errors.

- Running the boot disc. I could not find my original boot disc, but I tried running off of a Windows 7 Upgrade disc that I had, which I assumed would work the same. However, after choosing to boot off of CDROM with this inserted, there is a gray loading bar with "Windows is loading files...," but after this completes, the system gets hung up on the Starting Windows animated logo
- I have also created a new boot disc from downloading the .iso and putting it onto a DVD rom, but it doesn't even prompt the gray loading bar. Instead, it brings up the same Windows select mode as a result of it not shutting down properly (giving the option for safe mode or normal mode). The system hangs up the same way here as if it were starting from the hard drive.

- I have also removed the battery from the motherboard to reset the bios. This made no change.

- Finally, I have made a visual inspection of all hardware components. Everything is connected and hooked up properly. I cannot find anything amiss.

I have screenshots for any of the screens that I have encountered. If you think this may help, let me know and I can upload them.

My hard disc is a Patriot Torqz 2 64GB SSD and my motherboard is a Gigabyte M68MT-S2. The system is not old (build maybe 6 months ago) and has been running fine up until now.

Thank you very much to anyone who takes the time to read and contribute to this. I know your time is precious and it means a lot to me that you have read this far in effort to help.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
I can get banned for this, but you should try to create your own win7 disk from other pc, and try to run it, because Update disks dont really work to repair a system.

If nothing boots... you have some hardware troubles

Equilibrium31

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Yea, I created a new bootup disc by downloading the .iso from Microsoft (link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/acquiring-a-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-boot/0b753ca4-2ee6-4b7e-9c25-f1b1046de896), but that didn't work either.

I guess this may just be a hardware issue. If so, then I'm not sure which piece to replace. The motherboard I guess?

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Reset ur bios properly then choose optimized defaults.

Usually, u need to unplug the power cable then leave jumper on the bios reset position for about 10 seconds but some motherboard require you to remove the battery as well.

I just had the same problem with my old comp that i've been running 6years and suddenly can't boot up and stuck at one .sys file in safe mode. It is using window XP though. It was solved by remove battery and reset method.

Equilibrium31

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Looks like it is the hard drive. I disconnected my hd and ran the boot disc and was able to launch beyond the point where the system was getting hung up.

It sucks that this will cost me, but at least I know the issue.

karan4512

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
me too having the same problem as mentioned above....
Please,.... Please.... help me.....help me...
or i will INSTALL XP over WINDOWS 7.....
please e-mail me at " rockkyy4512@hotmail.com " if found any solution ......

ernestos

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
I've had same problem twice. My laptop didn't boot, no access to Win7, safe mode, repair mode, nothing. I couldn't even launch Windows install from usb/cd for it freezed again on startup. Definitely had something to do with the hardware and not only HDD because boot disks did nothing. Finally I found a solution, though it was pretty tricky.

SOLUTION:
I had to install OS into another laptop HD. (In case you have to use external usb drive, you might want to try Ubuntu which allows you to do this). When I put this new drive into my original laptop it somehow fixed the whole system at restart. Magic is that the computer suddenly allowed me to boot from cds and usbs again. So I was curious and tried putting back my infected(?) hard disk drive and it still let me do all the boots and repairs and everything. Just did a fresh install of Windows 7 and didn't even lose my files.

yinandyangofit

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
How about removing the battery and trying to start the computer on power only? That way we can check if the battery is the issue or not.

Restart the computer on power only and quickly after the power button is hit, hit the F8 key and check if it goes into Safe Mode. If it doesn't, we can be sure it is not a power issue.

brainybrown

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

ritenours86

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Might want to check your CD drive (only in regards to the inability to reinstall OS). I ran into the issue recently where the PC had a cheap CD drive that couldn't handle the reinstall of the OS. Once I hooked up an external drive, it reinstalled without any problems. Just an idea before you go buy a new HD.

awimarchello

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

i'm facing the same problem on my laptop Samsung RV413. did you solved this problem? can you share the method to my email awimarchello@yahoo.com .. thanks in advance

Wrackage

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I am encountering the same problem on my desktop PC, but only under certain circumstances.
The computer boots fine in case I unplug it after the prior usage and keep it unplugged for a long time. But if I try to reboot my PC without unplugging it, it doesn't load Windows and the process of Safe Mode loading stops at CLASSPNP.SYS file.
Any advises available, please?

Jarett Sisk

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
i had the same problem. i switched from win 8 to win 7. and ran in safe mode to find that it wouldnt boot past the classpnp.sys file... after some research i found a solution that helped. i started up the bios and switched my video to the vga on the motherboard instead of the vga on my radeon graphics card. it booted up just fine and i found that my graphics card had no driver.. i hope this helps!

Shmopher

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Fix that worked for me:

Enter BIOS and go to the settings for your boot HD.

Change the SATA setting from auto to AHCI.

Save and exit BIOS

After restart, you will probably hang again on the starting Windows screen, but the animation will still be working. After a few minutes you should boot into Windows normally with no problems.

Hope this helps.

itguy123

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
hi i had the same problem - with hp dv6 - win 7 . tryied ALL - repair, restore, taking away wireless card, restart all safe modes and so on.. it frooze in the initial windowslogo. but then when i took back the graphics card driver to earlier version - standard vga - it worked. I guess the driver disturbed. /It-mecanic

maxmumbai

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

It happened to my machine and was quite frustrating, I was able to boot up in safe mode sometimes. Eventually the hard disk could not be recognized in bios settings and had to replace it. With the new hard disk, I again started having trouble, so googled and found that windows 7 has built-in auto restart option so whenever we shutdown the system, this autorestart suddenly takes over and results in improper shutdown which harms the disk. You need to disable autorestart option. Check this page "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2621246" I think this would save many hard disks from crashing. Hope this answer helps.

bomboom1552

Reputable
May 1, 2014
It may sound simple and not apply to all situations where this occurs but when it happened to me I took the computer to the garage and used the air hose to blow out the fins on the CPU cooling fan, another time this problem indicated a failing power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.