Solved Closed

Win 7 won't boot, even in safe mode

I have a home-built PC that will not boot into Windows. The computer was working fine until one day when I returned from work and found that it would not wake up from sleep mode. With no other option available, I did a hard reset. I was given the prompt to load into windows safe mode since the pc wasn't shut down correctly, but chose the normal load. However, the system stopped at the Starting Windows animated logo. After waiting, I did a hard reset and chose to load into safe mode. However, when at the "Loading System Files" screen, the process gets stuck after "Loaded: \Windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS.

I have searched various forums and have found other users with this or similar problems, but their solutions have not worked for me. So far, this is what I have tried:

- Changing BIOS settings to Fail-Safe Defaults as well as loading back into Optimized Defaults

- Running a memory disc for a memory check: memory test returned no errors.

- Running the boot disc. I could not find my original boot disc, but I tried running off of a Windows 7 Upgrade disc that I had, which I assumed would work the same. However, after choosing to boot off of CDROM with this inserted, there is a gray loading bar with "Windows is loading files...," but after this completes, the system gets hung up on the Starting Windows animated logo
- I have also created a new boot disc from downloading the .iso and putting it onto a DVD rom, but it doesn't even prompt the gray loading bar. Instead, it brings up the same Windows select mode as a result of it not shutting down properly (giving the option for safe mode or normal mode). The system hangs up the same way here as if it were starting from the hard drive.

- I have also removed the battery from the motherboard to reset the bios. This made no change.

- Finally, I have made a visual inspection of all hardware components. Everything is connected and hooked up properly. I cannot find anything amiss.

I have screenshots for any of the screens that I have encountered. If you think this may help, let me know and I can upload them.

My hard disc is a Patriot Torqz 2 64GB SSD and my motherboard is a Gigabyte M68MT-S2. The system is not old (build maybe 6 months ago) and has been running fine up until now.

Thank you very much to anyone who takes the time to read and contribute to this. I know your time is precious and it means a lot to me that you have read this far in effort to help.
37 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about boot safe mode
  1. Re-install OS.
  2. That's the thing, as I mentioned, I can't reinstall the OS since the boot disks get stuck the same way when I try to run them.
  3. I can get banned for this, but you should try to create your own win7 disk from other pc, and try to run it, because Update disks dont really work to repair a system.

If nothing boots... you have some hardware troubles
  4. Yea, I created a new bootup disc by downloading the .iso from Microsoft (link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/acquiring-a-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-boot/0b753ca4-2ee6-4b7e-9c25-f1b1046de896), but that didn't work either.

I guess this may just be a hardware issue. If so, then I'm not sure which piece to replace. The motherboard I guess?
  5. Best answer
    HDD is defective. Buy new one.
  6. Reset ur bios properly then choose optimized defaults.

Usually, u need to unplug the power cable then leave jumper on the bios reset position for about 10 seconds but some motherboard require you to remove the battery as well.

I just had the same problem with my old comp that i've been running 6years and suddenly can't boot up and stuck at one .sys file in safe mode. It is using window XP though. It was solved by remove battery and reset method.
  7. Looks like it is the hard drive. I disconnected my hd and ran the boot disc and was able to launch beyond the point where the system was getting hung up.

It sucks that this will cost me, but at least I know the issue.
  8. Best answer selected by Equilibrium31.
  9. me too having the same problem as mentioned above....
    Please,.... Please.... help me.....help me...
    or i will INSTALL XP over WINDOWS 7.....
    please e-mail me at " rockkyy4512@hotmail.com " if found any solution ......
  10. I've had same problem twice. My laptop didn't boot, no access to Win7, safe mode, repair mode, nothing. I couldn't even launch Windows install from usb/cd for it freezed again on startup. Definitely had something to do with the hardware and not only HDD because boot disks did nothing. Finally I found a solution, though it was pretty tricky.

SOLUTION:
    I had to install OS into another laptop HD. (In case you have to use external usb drive, you might want to try Ubuntu which allows you to do this). When I put this new drive into my original laptop it somehow fixed the whole system at restart. Magic is that the computer suddenly allowed me to boot from cds and usbs again. So I was curious and tried putting back my infected(?) hard disk drive and it still let me do all the boots and repairs and everything. Just did a fresh install of Windows 7 and didn't even lose my files.
  11. How about removing the battery and trying to start the computer on power only? That way we can check if the battery is the issue or not.

Restart the computer on power only and quickly after the power button is hit, hit the F8 key and check if it goes into Safe Mode. If it doesn't, we can be sure it is not a power issue.
  12. Equilibrium31 said:
    I have a home-built PC that will not boot into Windows. The computer was working fine until one day when I returned from work and found that it would not wake up from sleep mode. With no other option available, I did a hard reset. I was given the prompt to load into windows safe mode since the pc wasn't shut down correctly, but chose the normal load. However, the system stopped at the Starting Windows animated logo. After waiting, I did a hard reset and chose to load into safe mode. However, when at the "Loading System Files" screen, the process gets stuck after "Loaded: \Windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS.

I have searched various forums and have found other users with this or similar problems, but their solutions have not worked for me. So far, this is what I have tried:

- Changing BIOS settings to Fail-Safe Defaults as well as loading back into Optimized Defaults

- Running the boot disc. I could not find my original boot disc, but I tried running off of a Windows 7 Upgrade disc that I had, which I assumed would work the same. However, after choosing to boot off of CDROM with this inserted, there is a gray loading bar with "Windows is loading files...," but after this completes, the system gets hung up on the Starting Windows animated logo
    - I have also created a new boot disc from downloading the .iso and putting it onto a DVD rom, but it doesn't even prompt the gray loading bar. Instead, it brings up the same Windows select mode as a result of it not shutting down properly (giving the option for safe mode or normal mode). The system hangs up the same way here as if it were starting from the hard drive.

- I have also removed the battery from the motherboard to reset the bios. This made no change.

- Finally, I have made a visual inspection of all hardware components. Everything is connected and hooked up properly. I cannot find anything amiss.

I have screenshots for any of the screens that I have encountered. If you think this may help, let me know and I can upload them.

My hard disc is a Patriot Torqz 2 64GB SSD and my motherboard is a Gigabyte M68MT-S2. The system is not old (build maybe 6 months ago) and has been running fine up until now.

Thank you very much to anyone who takes the time to read and contribute to this. I know your time is precious and it means a lot to me that you have read this far in effort to help.
  13. the problem is a hardware problem and it on the motherboard try locate the south bridge ic on the board try reflow it and thats it
  14. Might want to check your CD drive (only in regards to the inability to reinstall OS). I ran into the issue recently where the PC had a cheap CD drive that couldn't handle the reinstall of the OS. Once I hooked up an external drive, it reinstalled without any problems. Just an idea before you go buy a new HD.
  15. Equilibrium31 said:

i'm facing the same problem on my laptop Samsung RV413. did you solved this problem? can you share the method to my email awimarchello@yahoo.com .. thanks in advance
  16. Did you ever solve this? I am having exact same issue on my sons laptop and am not finding any answers anywhere. Thanks for reading this :)
  17. Same problem...how to solve?
  18. I am encountering the same problem on my desktop PC, but only under certain circumstances.
    The computer boots fine in case I unplug it after the prior usage and keep it unplugged for a long time. But if I try to reboot my PC without unplugging it, it doesn't load Windows and the process of Safe Mode loading stops at CLASSPNP.SYS file.
    Any advises available, please?
  19. As my knowledge HDD may be the pblm. Just replace ur HDD or replace the entire CPU...
  20. i had the same problem. i switched from win 8 to win 7. and ran in safe mode to find that it wouldnt boot past the classpnp.sys file... after some research i found a solution that helped. i started up the bios and switched my video to the vga on the motherboard instead of the vga on my radeon graphics card. it booted up just fine and i found that my graphics card had no driver.. i hope this helps!
  21. Fix that worked for me:

Enter BIOS and go to the settings for your boot HD.

Change the SATA setting from auto to AHCI.

Save and exit BIOS

After restart, you will probably hang again on the starting Windows screen, but the animation will still be working. After a few minutes you should boot into Windows normally with no problems.

Hope this helps.
  22. hi i had the same problem - with hp dv6 - win 7 . tryied ALL - repair, restore, taking away wireless card, restart all safe modes and so on.. it frooze in the initial windowslogo. but then when i took back the graphics card driver to earlier version - standard vga - it worked. I guess the driver disturbed. /It-mecanic
  23. Equilibrium31 said:

It happened to my machine and was quite frustrating, I was able to boot up in safe mode sometimes. Eventually the hard disk could not be recognized in bios settings and had to replace it. With the new hard disk, I again started having trouble, so googled and found that windows 7 has built-in auto restart option so whenever we shutdown the system, this autorestart suddenly takes over and results in improper shutdown which harms the disk. You need to disable autorestart option. Check this page "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2621246" I think this would save many hard disks from crashing. Hope this answer helps.
  24. It may sound simple and not apply to all situations where this occurs but when it happened to me I took the computer to the garage and used the air hose to blow out the fins on the CPU cooling fan, another time this problem indicated a failing power supply.
  25. After replacing mboard on windows 7 pc will not boot into windows

But I thought id share my experience incase anyone else is looking for a solution to this issue,
    1. get a Hirens boot cd
    2. boot into the mini xp Provided on Hirens
    In the hirens utilities, Find registry tools, and click on FIX hdd controller
    It launches a dos window, where you select your target root, and choose repair.
    It seems to delete the old driver out of current control set 00 from your registry, and replace it with generic version.
    Worked like a charm for me!
  26. In my case getting stuck in \Windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS was caused by a badly connected SATA cable. After correctly seating it, it booted fine.
  27. tttonyyy said:
    In my case getting stuck in \Windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS was caused by a badly connected SATA cable. After correctly seating it, it booted fine.

This was my solution as well.
  28. theuean said:
    tttonyyy said:
    In my case getting stuck in \Windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS was caused by a badly connected SATA cable. After correctly seating it, it booted fine.

This was my solution as well.

Hi.... How to remove sata cable in hp laptop.....:??:
  29. tttonyyy said:

Can confirm that this worked for me. Forget that dude at the top who just kept saying to reinstall OS and buy a new HDD. Had me all worried and stuff.
  30. Same issue. I took out the battery for a bit. Rebooted a few times with it out. No luck. Snuggled up cables. Put battery in got tk the recovery bootup and it loaded that finally. I and it worked. Nor sure if having the battery out or if it was cabling. The cables all seemed snug.
  31. Not sure if anyone is still having this problem but I was able to fix it for myself. I couldn't boot in any mode, safemode, normal, safemode with command and network. NOTHING!

I tried every fix out there with no avail. Then I got frustrated, held F2 and went to bios. Change my SATA to IDE or IED... (sorry.. can't remember which way it was written) bootes my comp with the mindset of: if this doesn't work I'm factory resetting. And voila. I think my AVG free was the issue. I'm uninstallimg and checking my comp.
  32. Note that just before classpnp.sys is disk.sys which is apparently where the problem lies.
    For some people this was a hard disk hardware problem.

I ran the system maintenance task which may or may not have fixed something and requested a file system check on reboot.
    After that, booting to safe mode worked again. These steps may not fix your problem, but at least they should be harmless.
  33. Equilibrium31 said:

I just had this exact situation with my Dell laptop (wouldn't boot in Safe Mode - stopped at Classpnp.sys, etc.) After several days, this is how I was able to get it back up and running:

I selected the Startup Repair option. It partially started up and looked like it wasn't doing anything - just a blue Windows background. I let it sit like this. After a few hours, the progress bar with for the System Repair came up with a message that it was attempting to repair the problem.

It eventually went to a message that it was fixing HD errors. I let it run. After 8 to 10 hours, it re-booted. I just let it run. It finally re-booted again and it is now working fine.

I hope this helps. I looked everywhere for a solution and couldn't find any good information about this issue. I even bought a replacement laptop. At the end of the day it was all about patience. A lot of patience.
  34. Shmopher said:
    Fix that worked for me:

Save and exit BIOS

After restart, you will probably hang again on the starting Windows screen, but the animation will still be working. After a few minutes you should boot into Windows normally with no problems.

Hope this helps.

After messing with so many things, this finally let me login to Windows and into my account but nothing is showing up. Explorer was running but not showing anything besides the mouse so I did CTRL+ALT+DEL, closed explorer and tried running a new one and it still wouldn't work. Going to try to restart and see if it loads now.

Any idea how I can get this working? I can't even reinstall windows because it hangs on "Setup is starting".

Safemode hangs at CLASSPNP.SYS.
  35. Hi.

I had this nightmare myself on a Samsung Series 3 laptop. Recovery was hanging, booting Window 7 from DVD was hanging, everything was hanging. Tried all the tips here, none sorted the problem, so this is what i did, maybe it was luck, maybe it was coincidence, but might help others as well:

1) Remove ALL storage from laptop (I mean internal HDD).
    2) Take a pendrive or external HDD, and make it bootable with a standard Windows 7 install (I have used Yumi + Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft)
    3) Power on laptop and enter bios.
    4) DO Load defaults (don't play around with settings, just Load defaults).
    5) Restart PC and enter Bios again.
    6) Disable Quick POST (in Advance tab)
    7) Boot from the pendrive / external HDD without any HDD in the laptop!!!
    8) Once the setup screen appear, switch laptop off.
    9) Remove pendrive (external hdd)
    10) Mount back original hdd.
    11) Start up laptop, all working.....

Again, this worked on a Samsung laptop, not sure if it will work on all other laptop / pc's but hopefully it will save somebody some tough times.
  36. Thanks, this worked for me. 'Someone' set it to IDE.
    Set it to AHCI and all good now.
    Thanks again.

Shmopher said:
    Fix that worked for me:

Save and exit BIOS

Hope this helps.
  37. Necropost
Ask a new question

Read More

Safe Mode Boot Windows 7