How Do I Change Drive Letters

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I just bought anew computer and it had an 80 GB hard drive with only one partition so I asked someone to make 5 partitions and he did except the drive letters are a little different than what I am used to.

First partition with Win XP (Home) has a C: drive letter abd then the second, third fourth and fifth has drive letters F: , G: , H: , and I:.

The two CD writers have letters D and E

I prefer to have D: , E: , F: , and G: instead for hard disk and H & I for 2 CD writers.

How do I change them and should I ? I am no expert and I really don’t want to screw up the disk if changing would create more problems.

Thanks

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Right click on "My Computer" and select "manage". In the left hand pane under Computer Management select Storage>Disk Management. Right click on the partition you wish to change and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths...". Select the new drive letter as you wish.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Of course, you cannot select a drive letter that is already in use. So some drives may need to be temporarily assigned an unused letter.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>