Recycle Bin show empty - but has files

Win XP Pro & Norton System Works 2005
The Recycle bin displays blank - no files.
However I have deleted files and none show in the recycle bin.
Folders are set to show hidden files.

Looking for a solution short of calling Microsoft.
5 answers Last reply
More about recycle show empty files

    I appreciate the thought.
    Another suggested there was some way to find the recycle bin in safe
    Mode - and to delete it. Then it would rebuild on the next start -up.
    But that was a thought for a clue as he had the problem before.

    Any idea how to find the recycle bin. I did a search under files and
    folders using "recyc" and found nothing.

    Trash wrote:
    > Win XP Pro & Norton System Works 2005
    > The Recycle bin displays blank - no files.
    > However I have deleted files and none show in the recycle bin.
    > Folders are set to show hidden files.
    >
    > Looking for a solution short of calling Microsoft.

    Uninstall Norton System Works..
    Does that fix your issue?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Trash wrote:

    > I appreciate the thought.
    > Another suggested there was some way to find the recycle bin in safe
    > Mode - and to delete it. Then it would rebuild on the next start -up.
    > But that was a thought for a clue as he had the problem before.
    >
    > Any idea how to find the recycle bin. I did a search under files and
    > folders using "recyc" and found nothing.

    Enable the ability to see all hidden files/folders from the Folder
    Options applet in Control Panel.

    A good resource for dealing with Recycle Bin issues is to go to MVP
    Kelly Theriot's site here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

    Click on "R" and scroll down to the Recycle Bin entries.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thanks for the additional suggestions.
    One was Peter:
    Is the option "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files
    immediately when Deleted" checked in the Recycle Bin Properties.

    That option was not checked in the options.

    I did find several bits of info that did provide me with a few clues.

    1) Since I was using Win XP the Recycle Bin is actually a folder
    named "RECYCLED"

    2) Not only did I have to make "Hidden" folders visable - the
    "RECYCLED" folder is a "SYSTEM PROTECTED" folder.
    So a search for the "RECYCLED" folder with the revealed
    "HIDDEN" folders did not produce a found file. After additionally
    selected the option to reveal "SYSTEM PROTECTED" files did I find the
    "RECYCLED" folder.

    3) Since I was using Win XP with Norton Sys Works 2005, and the
    Recycle (RECYCLRD) Bin using Norton Protected Recycle BIN, the thought
    occured to me that maybe there was something in the Recycle Bin that
    was causing the problem.

    I emptied the Recycle Bin, even though no files were displayed, (and I
    knew that files were there).

    Then I opened the Recycle Bin using the option to view the Norton
    protected files. Then I did a search, to see what files were the result
    of the search.

    Now although I knew there should be more than 2 files in the Bin, 2
    files were displayed. I did a search for those 2 files and found and
    DELETED them.

    Still seeing nothing in the Recycle Bin - I emptied the Rrcycle Bin
    again.

    Shutdown the computer - Restart and the Recycle Bin worked normally.

    For the moment all seems well, and if not I ask for your help.

    It was nice to not have to unstall & reinstall Norton

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    "Trash" <TrashCan1937@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1118713622.065722.117510@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > Win XP Pro & Norton System Works 2005
    > The Recycle bin displays blank - no files.
    > However I have deleted files and none show in the recycle bin.
    > Folders are set to show hidden files.
    >
    > Looking for a solution short of calling Microsoft.

Norton Windows XP Microsoft Hidden Files