More MISTAKES! THG not fact checking?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can see on <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index-01.html#nomenclature_ram_names" target="_new">This Page</A> that THG reports PC1066 as being 32-bit and offering 8.4GB/s in dual channel mode. The same mistake on PC800.

PC800 and PC1066 are 16-bit modules exclusively. The 32-bit stuff of PC1066 speed is called RIMM4200.

PC1066 offers only 4.2GB/s of bandwidth in dual channel mode. PC800 offers only 3.2GB/s, the same mistake there.

The editorial staff of THG is getting VERY sloppy, and THG is loosing it's reputation fast in the hardware community. These problems have plagued them for months.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
crash - the need for informing everybody about obvious f*ckups? dude we all know its goin to hell, thats why we moved to irc-land! :lol:

<b>and now for something comepletely different</b>

...<i><b><A HREF="http://bytethiscomputers.sytes.net/site/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually THG editorial staff does scan through these post. I don't think they see how big the problem is. And I'd sincerely hope they figure it out.

It's not this one mistake, it's the compilation of small mistakes in nearly every article. And omissions too, like making people wait for weeks before explaining the timing issues they had on various A64 platforms, rather than stating this up front. Hell, had they simply mentioned "we had trouble getting the AMD platforms to run similar latencies to the P4 platform, we choose the memory that worked the best for this application, look for a detailed article in comming weeks" at least they wouldn't have put their reputation on the line first.

That's like saying "I'm a mother f-er", than waiting weeks to tell people "and what I mean by that is, since I've married my wife she's become a mother to my children".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
your mom is yummy :tongue:

...<i><b><A HREF="http://bytethiscomputers.sytes.net/site/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b></i>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Very true Crash (about them rectifying things weeks later) - I believe its their belief that, as THG, they hold a certain power of influence and that they can conduct their reviews/tests more slopily, but its pathetic to see. Out of interest I ventured through the article a few eeks ago about cooling the P4 with liquid nitro.. I think a monkey could have done a better job - talk about showing off for the purpose of showing off. Its this belief that they can do anything they please because they once were in the top ranks of review sites... Now they do a better job at misinforming and confusing people than anything else.

I do hope they scan through these posts and take concern instead of continuing on their head-trip (as it seems they are doing). THG once-was a place I turned to for good opinions and thorough information - instead I now come for a good laugh and the chance to see them waste yet more expensive hardware.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have to remember that Tom no longer works here...he lost his love for the hobby and turned to other things.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
I didn't know that...No wonder - when the hell did this happen?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll have to look in the articles for details, it's been a couple years anyway.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
He still does the occasional blurb, but ya like anyone including me he sold out to the all mighty dollar.

Too bad I had the upmost respect for that guy.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
sold out? Heheh, it was talk like that which originally made him loose his enthusiasm! That's like saying a person who quits smoking is a sell-out.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Yeah ok I'm just guessing on him selling out. IMHO he did sellout (not for the wrong reasons) money, burnout, get on with your life etc.

It's hard not to notice how this site has been cheapened though. Since Tom left the site is so heavily commercialized it can be hard to take at times.

Since I'm just guessing why not go all the way I'd suspect Tom still maintains an interest be it a small one and was heavily compensated for relinquishing control. (Not millions but I'll bet he is comfortable with his settlement) and living a less stressful and more fulfilling life too boot. Will we ever know why Tom left?

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

G

Hey Crash coincidence or they heard you and are trying to change things up a little.
<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/technews/20040120_105644.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/technews/20040120_105644.html</A>
If you have some spare time you should apply hehe

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tom came back to do a blurb a while back. I don't think he gained anything financially by turning the controls over to his editorial staff, it's still his site even if he doesn't participate. You should read his blurb.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Darn, I don't have time right now to apply, maybe after I get home from assisting this other guy.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Bah [-peep-] them lets set up our own review site. lol i got 5mb of webspace...we should give it a whirl.

Here's our sample staff
scrammy - Webdesign
error_911 - parts getter
Crash - head honcho dude and chief editor
piii_Man - Official piii fanboy (every site needs one of these)
Phial - dont know what his specalties are but he can join
Pooy - He can show off his car on the home page or something (first car with HT you know).
Hardwareboss - will write great editorials cause hes so damn good at bullshitting
SOD_Nighthawk - Official electrical engineer

Hell we got ourselves a review site...now all we need is some money to get it of the ground...hmmm

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hah! The problem is, I already WORK for a site that can't afford to pay me!

ironmike

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003
Gotta make a spot for RobbD and wingding , something in the sexual dept. , the view from the world at large . Maybe a commentary type thing .

The man of steel said that

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
well i <i>suppose</i> winding could pose naked displaying hardware components and robbD could be the camera man...

/me is suddenly turned on...

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

supersaki

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
This is all disheartening to hear. I come to this site occasionally when browsing, but I scour it when I am upgrading, like now. I probably don't have all the technical expretise to know when they are fluffing, BSing, or just wrong.

So what other websites do you guys look at for reviews and close-to-the-minute updates on the hardware industry?

Ah well, at least we have the forums to hear the real deal, and extra BS from fanbois. Who needs survivor when you have the P4vsA64 dilemma?

Yugi - Oh! NOT ON MY CARPET

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tom's has been an excellent site for accurate, unbiased information. I feel confident that Omid is working on the problems seen in recent articles, and that Tom's will once again be on top. But just to get a balanced view (and make sure I'm fully informed), I read Anandtech as well.

In fact, I write for Sysopt, I still read Tom's and Anandtech. And if I wrote for Anandtech, I'd still read Tom's. And if I wrote for Tom's, I'd still read Anandtech. In fact it's more important for technical jounalist to read other sources to keep themselves on top of issues they may have missed.

taitertot

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
I spoke to Omid about the issues as well, he told me its tough to catch everything but I should apply if I feel I can add to the site. But for me its become a issue of what I can really offer the site, something unique something special...

Its easy to say I can do something but in reality what can any of us really offer? Be a tough couple of days to see if I can write a bad ass spin.

-taitertot

If this post has attitude, seems to be overly aggressive, rude, distasteful to 99% of the users here, and shows a zealous defense of Intel... It’s probably Spud.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know it's tough to catch everything. I also know that nobody is perfect, and that one editor has to guard the quality of another's work.

Hehe, if you don't like to write maybe you can get a part time job as a proof reader?

taitertot

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
I actually mentioned that to him he thought it was rather amuseing but worried about me makeing more mistakes just to annoy people.

-taitertot

If this post has attitude, seems to be overly aggressive, rude, distasteful to 99% of the users here, and shows a zealous defense of Intel... It’s probably Spud.