I love the MS animated search doggy

OK, I don't love the dog. In fact, it's rather annoying and wastes
screen space. However, I feel guilty if I turn it off, so I always
leave it on (or use google desktop's search). I wish it had shipped
with an animated Bill Gates or something, I wouldn't feel guilty about
killing that :-P

But somehow I am sad if I kill the dog...

-Zac
16 answers Last reply
More about love animated search doggy
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:44:45 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:

    >OK, I don't love the dog. In fact, it's rather annoying and wastes
    >screen space. However, I feel guilty if I turn it off, so I always
    >leave it on (or use google desktop's search). I wish it had shipped
    >with an animated Bill Gates or something, I wouldn't feel guilty about
    >killing that :-P
    >
    >But somehow I am sad if I kill the dog...
    >
    >-Zac

    MS used to have a page full of additional Search Assistants you could
    download.

    /doesn't need to search. remembers exactly where every file is.

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Eek! Zac Bond wrote:
    > OK, I don't love the dog. In fact, it's rather annoying and wastes
    > screen space. However, I feel guilty if I turn it off, so I always
    > leave it on (or use google desktop's search). I wish it had shipped
    > with an animated Bill Gates or something, I wouldn't feel guilty about
    > killing that :-P
    >
    > But somehow I am sad if I kill the dog...

    The dog is among the first thing I kill when I reinstall Windows. I am not
    really a dog person. :-p

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 04:24:40 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Eek! Zac Bond wrote:
    >> OK, I don't love the dog. In fact, it's rather annoying and wastes
    >> screen space. However, I feel guilty if I turn it off, so I always
    >> leave it on (or use google desktop's search). I wish it had shipped
    >> with an animated Bill Gates or something, I wouldn't feel guilty about
    >> killing that :-P
    >>
    >> But somehow I am sad if I kill the dog...
    >
    >The dog is among the first thing I kill when I reinstall Windows. I am not
    >really a dog person. :-p

    If you change the recycle bin sound effect to that of a crackling fire or
    a chainsaw, then after you've disabled Windows File Protection
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Windows_File_Protection_Switcher/1106499902/1
    you can enjoy the delightful sounds of the Windows\srchasst being deleted!

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 05:49:45 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:44:45 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> OK, I don't love the dog. In fact, it's rather annoying and wastes
    >> screen space. However, I feel guilty if I turn it off, so I always
    >> leave it on (or use google desktop's search). I wish it had shipped
    >> with an animated Bill Gates or something, I wouldn't feel guilty about
    >> killing that :-P
    >>
    >> But somehow I am sad if I kill the dog...
    >>
    >> -Zac
    >
    > MS used to have a page full of additional Search Assistants you could
    > download.

    When my oldest daughter got her laptop with WinXP, and did her first
    search, she pointed at the dog: "That one has to go". Then I realized that
    she really is my daughter.

    > /doesn't need to search. remembers exactly where every file is.

    I wouldn't expect less from you.

    Me, I just pick a file randomly and do whatever is relevant.
    --
    pibbur

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    "Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > If you change the recycle bin sound effect to that of a crackling
    > fire or
    > a chainsaw, then after you've disabled Windows File Protection
    > http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Windows_File_Protection_Switcher/1106499902/1
    > you can enjoy the delightful sounds of the Windows\srchasst being
    > deleted!

    Back when I had an Ultima theme for my desktop, the recycle bin sound
    was the Guardian saying "See how I reward those who fail me!" That
    was always satisfying.

    -Ophidian
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, pibbur <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

    >When my oldest daughter got her laptop with WinXP, and did her first
    >search, she pointed at the dog: "That one has to go". Then I realized that
    >she really is my daughter.

    Yep.

    It is a dog, it is animation. It has to go. Now, a non-animated cat
    .... wellllll ....
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:59:42 +0200, Claus Dragon
    <claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

    > Words to the wise, pibbur <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
    >

    >> When my oldest daughter got her laptop with WinXP, and did her first
    >> search, she pointed at the dog: "That one has to go". Then I realized
    >> that
    >> she really is my daughter.
    >
    > Yep.
    >
    > It is a dog, it is animation. It has to go. Now, a non-animated cat
    > ... wellllll ....

    Or a paperclip..... NOOOOooooooo.

    --
    pibbur

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

    >/doesn't need to search. remembers exactly where every file is.

    I dont get that either.

    Just use the basic unix $home rules and you always know where your
    stuff is for you are not allowed to save anything outside of it :>
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:00:19 +0200, Claus Dragon
    <claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

    >Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>/doesn't need to search. remembers exactly where every file is.
    >
    >I dont get that either.
    >
    >Just use the basic unix $home rules and you always know where your
    >stuff is for you are not allowed to save anything outside of it :>

    Most computer users have no idea how to plan in advance where they will
    store documents and files. Heck, most don't have even the vaguest idea of
    how to use explorer to manage their files. It's sad. We live in a "my
    pencil won't start" world.

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 03:53:24 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 04:24:40 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Eek! Zac Bond wrote:
    >>> OK, I don't love the dog. In fact, it's rather annoying and wastes
    >>> screen space. However, I feel guilty if I turn it off, so I always
    >>> leave it on (or use google desktop's search). I wish it had shipped
    >>> with an animated Bill Gates or something, I wouldn't feel guilty about
    >>> killing that :-P
    >>>
    >>> But somehow I am sad if I kill the dog...
    >>
    >>The dog is among the first thing I kill when I reinstall Windows. I am not
    >>really a dog person. :-p
    >
    >If you change the recycle bin sound effect to that of a crackling fire or
    >a chainsaw, then after you've disabled Windows File Protection
    >http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Windows_File_Protection_Switcher/1106499902/1
    >you can enjoy the delightful sounds of the Windows\srchasst being deleted!
    And always rename The Recycle Bin to Litter Box.

    -=UDIC=-
    Optician Dragon
    "That's the great thing about being dumb -
    You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
    -"Frog" from Best Of The West
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:10:45 GMT, Optician Dragon
    <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

    >And always rename The Recycle Bin to Litter Box.

    *must remember not to ask for anything recycled when I visit Optician*

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

    >>Just use the basic unix $home rules and you always know where your
    >>stuff is for you are not allowed to save anything outside of it :>
    >
    >Most computer users have no idea how to plan in advance where they will
    >store documents and files. Heck, most don't have even the vaguest idea of
    >how to use explorer to manage their files. It's sad. We live in a "my
    >pencil won't start" world.

    Well, then its high time Windows gets such a function :>
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:47:09 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:00:19 +0200, Claus Dragon
    ><claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>/doesn't need to search. remembers exactly where every file is.
    >>
    >>I dont get that either.
    >>
    >>Just use the basic unix $home rules and you always know where your
    >>stuff is for you are not allowed to save anything outside of it :>
    >
    >Most computer users have no idea how to plan in advance where they will
    >store documents and files. Heck, most don't have even the vaguest idea of
    >how to use explorer to manage their files. It's sad. We live in a "my
    >pencil won't start" world.
    My pencil starts pretty easily. The trick is to keep the flywheel
    lubricated so the tiny string gets wound smoothly.
    -=UDIC=-
    Optician Dragon
    "That's the great thing about being dumb -
    You don't feel bad when you don't come up with a good idea."
    -"Frog" from Best Of The West
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:07:41 +0200, Optician Dragon
    <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:47:09 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:00:19 +0200, Claus Dragon
    >> <claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

    >>> I dont get that either.
    >>>
    >>> Just use the basic unix $home rules and you always know where your
    >>> stuff is for you are not allowed to save anything outside of it :>
    >>
    >> Most computer users have no idea how to plan in advance where they will
    >> store documents and files. Heck, most don't have even the vaguest idea
    >> of
    >> how to use explorer to manage their files. It's sad. We live in a "my
    >> pencil won't start" world.
    > My pencil starts pretty easily. The trick is to keep the flywheel
    > lubricated so the tiny string gets wound smoothly.

    Lucky you. My pencil usually doesn't start, because I can't find it. Now
    that's a function I really miss in Windows: Find things in my house. I
    would accept the dog if such a function existed.

    --
    pibbur

  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Zac Bond wrote:

    > Back when I had an Ultima theme for my desktop, the recycle bin sound was
    > the Guardian saying "See how I reward those who fail me!" That was always
    > satisfying.

    I always used that for Windows application or critical errors (so I got to
    hear it a lot). Recycle bin was "Go Away!" or "crush, kill, destroy!" from
    Lost in Space.

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 15:29:11 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
    wrote:

    >or "crush, kill, destroy!" from Lost in Space.

    That was my favorite episode.

    For my critical stop sound I use a car crash sound I ripped from the
    computer lab scene of The Relic. :)

    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/

Video Games