Sign in with
Your question

Question about laptop processors

Last response: in Mobile Computing
November 2, 2009 2:49:52 AM

Hiya. I have a Gateway M7315U. It's all stock with the exception of the HDD, which I replaced with a WD6400. I'd like to change the processor to something that has hardware virtualization so that I can mess around with XP Mode in Windows 7 professional.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should look for? Currently there's an Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 installed, which is what came with the computer. I mainly use this system for gaming, so anything faster than what I have would be ideal.

William
November 2, 2009 1:35:47 PM

I need some more information about the chipset that your laptop uses so I can find compatible processors for you. Can you download CPU-z and tell me what it says for under "Mainboard"?

CPU-z can be found here: http://cpuid.com/cpuz.php
m
l
November 3, 2009 1:04:43 PM

Absolutely. Here's what the info says:

Manufacturer : Gateway
Model: M-7315U 96.05
Chipset: Intel GL40 Rev. 07
Southbridge: Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M)
LPCIO: NS NS

In case you need BIOS as well (I don't think so, but here it is)

Brand: Phoenix Technologies LTD
Version: 96.04
Date: 07/23/2008

Thank you for your help.

William
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2009 11:05:26 PM

I'm having trouble finding supported processors for the GL40 chipset in your laptop. Intel's site doesn't even have the Pentium T3200 listed as a supported chip. I believe however, that you are limited to a CPU with a max of an 800mhz FSB and of the same socket type.

Your upgrade is probably going to run you around $250 and your ability to game on your laptop is more limited by the Intel GMA 4500, not your CPU. If gaming is your main concern, you may just want to consider saving up and getting a new laptop/desktop.
m
l
November 5, 2009 12:40:06 PM

lostandwandering said:
I'm having trouble finding supported processors for the GL40 chipset in your laptop. Intel's site doesn't even have the Pentium T3200 listed as a supported chip. I believe however, that you are limited to a CPU with a max of an 800mhz FSB and of the same socket type.

Your upgrade is probably going to run you around $250 and your ability to game on your laptop is more limited by the Intel GMA 4500, not your CPU. If gaming is your main concern, you may just want to consider saving up and getting a new laptop/desktop.

Thank you for researching this for me. I'll heed your advice and start shopping around for a good desktop. With the prices falling and the technology getting better, I'm sure I'll find one :) 

William
m
l
!