Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question on Dynamic Processor hookup to stereo

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 5:57:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

Hi, I picked up a vintage RG Dynamics Pro-16 Dynamics Processor
recently at a thrift store. It looked to be in very nice shape so I
figured at the least I could always Ebay it. I do have a vintage
system myself with a B&O Beocenter 7700 as the receiver portion of it.
The processor itself has RCA inputs on back for both input and output
for "Tape" and "Main". My Beocenter has only one main set of tape
in/out RCA's inputs. No tape monitor function. Will this work with my
stereo as described?

If so, how would I hook it up and what are the main uses/advantages for
it? I know it is supposed to help with vinyl and my Beocenter does
have a nice turntable. I am able to hookup more than one tape deck to
the Beocenter as I have a RS "Tape Control Center" box which allows me
to hookup 3 tape decks or other components.


thanks
CTV
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:29:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

"Cartrivision1" <doidy1@juno.com> wrote in message
news:D aa52s02oed@news1.newsguy.com...
> Hi, I picked up a vintage RG Dynamics Pro-16 Dynamics Processor
> recently at a thrift store. It looked to be in very nice shape so I
> figured at the least I could always Ebay it. I do have a vintage
> system myself with a B&O Beocenter 7700 as the receiver portion of it.
> The processor itself has RCA inputs on back for both input and output
> for "Tape" and "Main". My Beocenter has only one main set of tape
> in/out RCA's inputs. No tape monitor function. Will this work with my
> stereo as described?
>
> If so, how would I hook it up and what are the main uses/advantages for
> it? I know it is supposed to help with vinyl and my Beocenter does
> have a nice turntable. I am able to hookup more than one tape deck to
> the Beocenter as I have a RS "Tape Control Center" box which allows me
> to hookup 3 tape decks or other components.
>

I believe the following is correct, but can't swear by it since I don't have
hands on experience with the units. In particular, your Beocenter tape
input must function as a monitor; it would make no sense to design a unit
any other way.

Just hook it up just like a tape deck, so if you have extra inputs/outputs
on yur RS "Tape Control Center" (which I presume from your comments is
hooked up to the Beocenter) just hook it to it, and switch it in when you
are playing records. You can't record to tape with this setup (unless your
tape control center has self-contained "dubbinb"), but that is a function of
the limitation of only having one tape in/out on your Beocenter, not the
unit itself. If you wish to use it for recording you are going to have to
get a preamp/amp with tape dubbing and two tape out/monitor in's.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 10:50:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

Well I guess I am a bit confused since the turntable portion of my
system is internal to the receiver and there is no "phono out" or tape
monitor inputs. I believe I was told previously is that these
accessory processor units work only if you have a tape monitor and that
you send the signal out and then back into your system? I guess I am
just a bit naive as to how this works.

My Beocenter does have RCA preamp outputs. Could I use this to hook up
the Dynamic Processor?


thanks
CTV
Related resources
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:21:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

"Cartrivision1" <doidy1@juno.com> wrote in message
news:D ac0ef04h0@news2.newsguy.com...
> Well I guess I am a bit confused since the turntable portion of my
> system is internal to the receiver and there is no "phono out" or tape
> monitor inputs. I believe I was told previously is that these
> accessory processor units work only if you have a tape monitor and that
> you send the signal out and then back into your system? I guess I am
> just a bit naive as to how this works.
>
> My Beocenter does have RCA preamp outputs. Could I use this to hook up
> the Dynamic Processor?
>

You have a tape in/out on your receiver. The "tape in" rca is you monitor
input.

Connect the "tape out" on the receiver to the "main in" on the compressor.
Connect the "main out" on the compressor to the "tape in" on the receiver.
Then hook your Tape Control Center or tape recorder (if you have only one)
to the "tape out" and "tape in" on the compressor. With this configuration,
you will be able to use the phono compressor with both listening and tape
recording. Sorry I misread your initial post.

BTW, your "tape in" on the receiver has to be a monitor. I've never seen a
preamp or receiver with a tape out and no monitor input. The difference
between a monitor input and a regular input is that when you switch to the
monitor input, it does not output back through the "tape outs" as does a
regular input. If it did, you would get a feedback shriek under some
conditions.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:09:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

Harry Lavo wrote:

> Connect the "tape out" on the receiver to the "main in" on the compressor.
> Connect the "main out" on the compressor to the "tape in" on the receiver.
> Then hook your Tape Control Center or tape recorder (if you have only one)
> to the "tape out" and "tape in" on the compressor. With this configuration,
> you will be able to use the phono compressor with both listening and tape
> recording. Sorry I misread your initial post.

Hi, thanks for the tips. I was able to hook up the compressor to all
of my external tape decks (3), but still am in the dark as how to use
with my phono, but I will reread your reply when I am less tired and
see if it makes more sense then!

The problem is with the Beocenter is that if I select "Tape 2" which is
the only aux. input available on the receiver, the phonograph
automatically turns off. Everything is automated on the thing and it
is set up to either have the internal tape player working, the
turntable working, or an external deck working, but only one at a time.
That is unless you are recording.


thanks
CTV
!